Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAQ: Setting up a PS3 to an Onkyo amp

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by Rom, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Zippy77777

Zippy77777 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    well cable wise, the hdmi would go from the ps3 to the game input hdmi terminal on the onkyo. And then another hdmi would go from the hdmi out terminal of the onkyo to the tv terminal hdmi 1, thats as simple as that.

On the Onkyo setup screen, set hdmi 1 for the game input.

Set av to hdmi 1 on the tv

And just make sure that when you turn the ps3 on you are on game mode on the amp, it should be quite straight forward chap!! Let me know
  2. Zippy77777

Zippy77777 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Any joy?
  3. thestig230

thestig230 Member

Ratings:
    +112
    @sirlukas - Many thanks for you help. Turns out the "I,superbiker" Blu-ray was only 2 channel hence why I couldn’t get it to show the correct format when pressing "display" on the playstation remote.

I managed to get a shot of another Blu-ray with 5.1 & 7.1 and it all displayed on the playstation "display" screen correctly and more importantly output the sound correctly on the Onkyo speakers :rotfl:

Well chuffed, thanks again :thumbsup:
  4. mildwarthog

mildwarthog Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've an Onkyo TX-SR507 and have just purchased a PS3 slim. I'm connecting them using HDMI through the CBL/SAT in on the receiver.

Having played around with the features in PS3 (iplayer, Lovefilm etc) which are all working fine I thought I'd try spinning a couple of discs. Audio CD played absolutely fine, but when I load a DVD, I lose picture & sound to the TV and the Onkyo TX-SR507 displays 'No Signal'. Even when I eject the DVD, the PS3 console doesn't return, and I have to manually switch it off.

I've checked all the settings and followed the guidelines at the top of this thread, but so far nothing's working. (I'm also worried that if I try and spin a Blu-Ray or Game disc -which I don't yet have - the same thing is going to happen!). Any help with sorting this would be much appreciated!
  5. RobinBanks

RobinBanks Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for this. I finally got round to changing this last night and I was impressed by the change in sound - much more power, much more bass, much more......everything! :D
  6. nicjomo

nicjomo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rom i hope you can help. After reading your great thread on the 'Fat' PS3 audio issue i though you may be the man to help. I have just purchased a onkyo 509 and i am still setting it up for my various devices. I have sky hd running DD and now my ps3 is sorted but my Apple Tv2 wont output DD. Its running sound and visual through a HDMI. I thought HMDI was the master choice but i have had to run sky through optical and now my PS3?! Is it the same for apple tv as well do you think?

Thanks Nic
  7. nicjomo

nicjomo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Solved. I thought trailers on Apple Tv came through in DD. i was wrong.
  8. JPA

JPA Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay I tried to read what has been said in this thread before but I'm still having issues. My situation is this: I just got a brand new setup for my home theater. Sony lcd-tv 40", PS3 Slim and ONKYO HT-S5405B. I have tried everything but I still can't get any kind of surround sound out of the speakers. I'm only getting sound from left & right front speakers, nothing from other speakers, not even from the center speaker! I just did a simply connect:

PS3---(HDMI)---->ONKYO---(HDMI)--->TV

I can get Onkyo to transfer video though without any issues, the issue is in the sound. Somehow Onkyo can't recognize sound signals from PS3 since it keeps offering 2.0 sound for me (from panel on Onkyo just shows "HDMI A B PCM". I have tried to change setups million times but I can't get surround sound out of this mess... What can I do? :rolleyes:
  9. Mr9Ball

Mr9Ball Member

Ratings:
    +1
    ok. have you checked the sound settings from the ps3. sound settings>audio output settings>HDMI>automatic?
  10. JPA

JPA Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I did try that many times but still sound keeps coming from two speakers...
  11. JPA

JPA Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried my iPod today with Onkyo and the same issue keeps coming. It seems to me that Onkyo wants to do everything in stereo (2.0). No DTS, or Dolby Digital etc logos...absolutely nothing can bee seen on Onkyos display. I can't get subwoofer to work, center, or left/right surround speakers, they are mute too! I did the Audio-microphone-test thing and all speakers did work so the issue kind of needs to be in Onkyos settings but how to change it. I have tried all settings on PS3 Slim without results. Same almost with Onkyo... Frustrating, I just don't know what to do. All I want is to start watching movies!!!:lease:
  12. Mr9Ball

Mr9Ball Member

Ratings:
    +1
    annoyin innit :laugh:
    ok. page 39 HDMI through>select auto. page 33 input selector>make sure the default assignment is HDMI for that input. eg game = HDMI 4 an not coax/opt.
    it's all a process of elimination :smashin:
  13. gemmathehusky

gemmathehusky Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I struggled a bit setting up my cheaper Onkyo HT-R380 at first. It's so long ago, I can't remember exactly what I did

i found ths thread, which may help

http://www.avforums.com/forums/ps3/497106-connecting-ps3-surround-sound-amp.html

you could try an optical cable instead - see if that makes a difference

The main thing though - occasionally I have had sound/set-up issues with the Onkyo - and I have to press some buttons on the remote - things like "receiver mode", and speakers "A-B" etc
    Again I forget exactly which buttons, but I know I need to do something to get full control back. Not sure if you have the same buttons!

Once it's working there are always still some sound modes that the receiver won't produce with with a PS3 - I think this is something to do with the PS3 itself. I think the one you are quoting is correct though.

----
    SO -

I just checked my PS3/Onkyo, which happened to have a spiderman 3 DVD in it.

PS3
    On settings/video, I have BD/DVD audio set to linear PCM

Onkyo
    I couldn't turn the onkyo amp on at first with the remote, although some buttons still seemed to work. I had to switch on manually. Finally got control back after pressing most of the buttons!

There are 4 buttons on my receiver called listening mode - movie/tv / muisic/ game / stereo
    pressing the stereo button gives only stereo sound. pressing the movie button gives 5.1 sound, and cycles through all the available options for the disk.

I also found that setting the speakers A/B button to different things changes the sounds. In the end, with just speakers A, it shows (with a DVD) HDMI PCM, and then the sound mode shows dts and Neo6

Maybe the listening mode is the problem.

Hope this helps
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  14. funtasticrich

funtasticrich New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I posted this in the owners thread but thought I should post it here too.

picked up the onkyo 5405 yesterday. connected everything up properly, however when I go to my slim ps3 my tv flashes black and back to the ps3 home screen every 5 seconds or so.

my connection is ps3 - hdmi - onkyo - hdmi - tv (sony bravia 40ex503)

never had an issue when the ps3 was plugged straight into the tv using the same hdmi lead.
  15. JayGB1982

JayGB1982 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I got the Onkyo 509 yesterday and set it up.

Trouble is my screen flickers blue every second when using the PS3.

Tried all resolutions 1080p/i 720p etc but still it flickers blue every second?

The amp with nothing connected to hdmi but hdmi out going to my tv has a similar issue.

The output from the screen flickers.

Audio is fine but the video flickers still.

Any idea's people?
  16. claws

claws Member

Ratings:
    +1
    As the flickering still happens when the PS3 is not connected it sounds like nothing to do with the Playstation.

The AMP should not be doing this out of the box, I'd call the retailer you bought from and either ask them for a replacement or to tell you if there's a config option that needs changing (although having an Onkyo myself I've not experienced anything like this before).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. onkyoman

onkyoman Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Right, got an issue with my Onkyo 405, and the SLIM ps3, just plugged in the PS3 HDMI to GAME, and then ONKYO goes to TV (hdmi out), my sky box is working fine through CBL/SAT, but there seems to be no image on screen for some reason for the PS3....what could be the reason? This is a newly purchased ps3 from a couple days back, any settings I need to sort out in the menu ? (But the menu doesn't come up (osd) in GAME mode).
    Cheers
  18. onkyoman

onkyoman Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I would appreciate if you could just help me a little please. I used to have a phat ps3, which worked fine with the Onkyo S3405...but that broke... In replacement I have brought a PS3 SLIM.

The problem being I am getting absolutely no picture, set up below. The PS3 Slim works perfectly fine through the TV therefore I know it isn't the PS3 at fault.

Set up: HDMI(PS3) to Onkyo [Game], then just ONKYO HDMI out to TV.

When I click GAME on my remote, I just get a black screen, no PS3 picture. Could you tell me the quick settings possibly on the SETUP on Onkyo, as I can't access the On screen display through GAME, as no picture... just when I am on SKY.

Also, like i said I get a black screen, on for example if I click BR/DVD I get a blue screen (AS there is nothing connected), so something must be happening through Game...

Appreciate your help greatly.
  19. Fall Guy

Fall Guy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had a problem with flickering on the slim PS3 and NR509. Playback was fine just a prob when on the menu. In the video settings one is Deep Colours which is set to Auto, when turned to Off. Cured it immediately.
  20. onkyoman

onkyoman Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just seems like I am getting absolutely nothing just a black screen, as someone earlier pointed out there is a 'handshaking' issue...cos' some sort of signal is coming hence it being black, :(
  21. ttwizard

ttwizard Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have just today got my HT-S5405 and have managed to set it up with my TV and PS3(slim) with the assistance of this forum and for that I say thanks!
    One question, sorry if it is a stupid one....when listening to a Blu-Ray through the PS I am only getting the vocal track of the film from one of the rear speakers. I get all other sound from the others but just the vocal from one. Is this usual as it sounds strange when sat listening and would favour someone sitting the side of said speaker.
    Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
  22. dannycorker

dannycorker Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Sounds odd - the vocal is coming through a rear surround speaker? Most of it should be coming through the centre in most scenes of a film. Assuming the PS3 is set up as per this thread, what listening mode do you have the 5405 on? And you've definitely got all the speakers plugged into the correct ports, you haven't accidentally plugged the surround speaker into the centre port?
  23. ttwizard

ttwizard Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Danny, schoolboy error!!! Spent all day setting everything else up only to plug the 2 wires above the wrong way round....doh!
    Cheers for the quick reply.....superb bit of kit as well!!!
  24. dannycorker

dannycorker Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Glad it was something that simple to sort out! I have the same system and love it, have fun with the new setup!
  25. ibniba

ibniba Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Sorry to post here if the answer has already been given - but Ive read through this forum and many other web pages and cant locate the answer - but Im no expert and many the answer has been given and I just dont understand it.

Anyway, I have Slim PS3 and Onkyo HT-R548 Receiver and my receiver is no longer receiving the signal from the PS3 correctly - the screen just keeps flickering all the time.

I have the PS3 connected with a HDMI Cable to the Onkyo Game Port. And the Onkyo connected to the TV (LG LV550T) with HDMI too.

I have got so frustrated I have now connected the PS3 directly to the TV (via HDMI) and it works correct. So I know its not a problem with the PS3.

I have also connected the PS3 to the other HDMI Ports on the Onkyo and it will not work on any of them.

In addition, I have connected my Humax STB to all 4 ports on the Onkyo and it works on all of them. I therefore conclude that it is not a problem with any of the HDMI Ports on the Onkyo.

Finally, I have tried changing settings in both the PS3 and the Onkyo but have not good it to work. I even did a factory reset on the Onkyo but alas...

I do not know what else to try, please can somebody point me in the right direction before I pull out all my hair :(

Regards

Iba
  26. Kaj

Kaj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this has been answered, but when I follow the instructions I get to the settings on the amp and HDMI is not one of the options it's either Co Axil or optical 1,2. When I start a blu ray I can select dtsmaster track but after a few minutes the red HD disappears and it goes back to neo6?

Help would be appreciated

Cheers
  27. sirlukas

sirlukas Member

Ratings:
    +90
    @Ida, did you try to play around with PS3's Display Settings?
    Maybe it is worth setting the colourspace on the PS3 to Limited, rather than Full?
    It is definitely something on your PS3 that is upsetting the Onkyo receiver.

@Kaj, any details about your setup? What hardware do you use?
  28. scottthehat

scottthehat Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,228
    Have you tried a different hdmi cable.
  29. monkey11477

monkey11477 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    press the SP A/B button on the remote so it only displays A? having the AVR set to A&B downscales to 2.0 as the B speakers are for a 2nd room
  30. monkey11477

monkey11477 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone done any input lag tests with the PS3's video going via the AVR?