Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Factory Reset of SONY RDR HXD560 recorder, when I can't see any menu?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Recorders' started by Harry Wood, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Harry Wood

Harry Wood Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My dad was fiddling with his SONY RDR HXD560 recorder, and changed a 'video' setting somewhere which means we can no longer see anything from the recorder. Obviously this includes not being able to see any of the menus. So I can't find the video setting which he changed....

...but I am also unable to figure out how to reset any settings on the device. I'm quite happy to reset all settings back to factory default, and even lose any recordings if necessary, but how? Page 101 of the user manual has instructions for resetting the recorder, otherwise known as 'Easy Setup', but this involves viewing a menu.

Does anyone know of a factory reset button sequence or something which works without needing to see a menu?
  2. jeff1265

jeff1265 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    HI,
    How is the device connected to the tv?
    regards
  3. Harry Wood

Harry Wood Member

Ratings:
    +0
    We have the separate cables for red green & blue. I think the name for that is "component video" (?) that's the cable we have. It's plugged in and that remains unchanged since it was working before.

Unfortunately we don't have a scart cable or an S-Video cable to hand. I was thinking we could try linking it with some other type of cable to see if a different type of signal is coming out. This would be the other way of tackling the problem I guess, but I'm thinking surely there's a way of telling it to go back to default signal output.

I suppose maybe I can access and change the video menu option "blind" if someone can tell me what sequence of buttons to press! (bit ridiculous though, and I'm really not sure what exact menu option my dad fiddled with)
  4. ramjet

ramjet New Member

Ratings:
    +676
    if it has a yellow output socket then it has composite video which is a default output , so use one of your component leads and connect yellow to yellow to get cvbs output on screen
  5. Harry Wood

Harry Wood Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK. I tried yanking out one of the three cables and using that to connect yellow-to-yellow instead. I guess I also need to be moving from AV3 to one of the other settings when doing that hey? I tried the various combinations and it didn't give a picture from the recorder at all. Maybe that's not going to help anyway because...

There's five cables in total. Red, Green, Blue and the two audio cables. With the TV still set to AV3 (as it always used to be) we are not getting video as I said, but we are getting audio, so maybe that means the recorder is still set to output component video, but with some other setting wrong.
  6. alsina

alsina Active Member

Ratings:
    +620
    What tv are you connected to?
  7. Harry Wood

Harry Wood Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's a SONY telly bought at the same time. The SONY KDL-20S2030.

As I say, we were always switching it to AV3 to use it with the recorder in the past. Now this is only giving us sound.
  8. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,242
    Factory setting defaults will be restored by the following:

Ensure there is no disc in the drive.

With the unit switched ON... and using the button on the unit, Press and hold the Stop button , then press the power button.

The unit will switch off and the defaults restored.

However ! ...This will not help your predicament ... because as far as I know, component is not a factory default setting and so you still will not see anything with your present connections.

The simplest solution would be to plug a scart in and look to see the composite output on the TV ...which is always present no matter what the settings are.
    It must be possible to borrow a scart lead?
  9. Harry Wood

Harry Wood Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK thanks. Yes I tried doing the reset, and it didn't change the situation at all. Will need to get hold a scart lead form somewhere. Thanks for the help
  10. alsina

alsina Active Member

Ratings:
    +620
    Have you tried connecting one of the cables from the yellow 'video out' connection on the recorder to the yellow connection on the side of the tv? Also how are you getting sound?