1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F1 Closed season Chit Chat

Discussion in 'F1 Formula 1' started by John, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strawbs

Strawbs Member

Ratings:
    +177
    I remember that race - nearly bit my fingers off with the tension of those last few laps. Too many drivers these days are happy to settle for second place... but not out Nige! he was a battler & Senna was a Master of his craft, able to drive to victory in cars that had no place winning. :)
  2. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani Member

Ratings:
    +101
    yeah, remember watching and thinking senna was in total control as mansell buzzed around his gearbox like an angry wasp, trying to pass, but senna was just flawless that day. mansell looked like he'd ran a marathon after he got out the car.
  3. alexs2

alexs2 Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,709
    That was a good race,and one of many between Senna and Mansell.

Pity we don't often see that sort of racing now,but maybe a return to smaller turbo engines as planned will introduce some of the old fun.
  4. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani Member

Ratings:
    +101
    yeah, we have the drivers in hammy, fred and seb but the cars just don't lend themselves to that kind of glorious, glorious racing. :(
  5. HMHB

HMHB Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,083
    That's stirred up a distant memory about a young Ayrton Senna. I seem to remember a race where Prost was in the lead and it was throwing it down with rain and Senna was catching him up hand over fist. I reckon that might have been Monaco? They stopped the race before Senna caught him up - I reckon they did it deliberately just so Prost would win.
  6. Smudger14

Smudger14 Member

Ratings:
    +26
    I miss Ayrton Senna so much. F1 has never been the same since that horrible race at Imola back in '94. Still remember that crash like it was yesterday. I guess Lewis Hamilton is a very 'Senna' esque driver in his 'win it or bin it' driving style.

On a Senna related note, anybody going to see the Senna movie when that comes out?
  7. Smudger14

Smudger14 Member

Ratings:
    +26
  8. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani Member

Ratings:
    +101
    it was the event that allowed max mosely and the FIA to impose their vision of F1, which we're still feeling today. hopefully todt will take F1 in a new direction.
  9. matt41

matt41 Member

Ratings:
    +28
    I've only read tha last page, but has anyone seen the new engine and wing/KERS rules.
    BBC Formula 1 News.

1.6 litre 4 cylinder turbo!!!
  10. Smudger14

Smudger14 Member

Ratings:
    +26
    The adjustable rear wing has the potential to cause a lot of problems. Be interesting to see how they work in the races.
  11. alexs2

alexs2 Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,709
    That it is,but it won't be like the old 1200bhp turbos from the 1.5L era.

This will be a sanitised lower powered,cost cutting,and fuel efficient thing,as opposed to a toluene fuelled 4+ bar monster.
  12. Smudger14

Smudger14 Member

Ratings:
    +26
    The engines will make 600bhp, with the extra 150bhp coming from the KERS systems. So 750bhp from a 1.6 isn't that bad lol.

Reading more about the adjustable rear wings. They'll be monitored electronicly. So when a driver is one second behind the car in front, they can then adjust the rear wing to overtake.
  13. benhaha85

benhaha85 Active Member

Ratings:
    +431
    What they should be doing is getting rid of all the stupid aerodynamics so we don't need to simulate overtaking. Get back to 1 front wing, 1 rear wing and some big tyres. That's all you need.
  14. alexs2

alexs2 Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,709
    That's my point....in the mid 80s,they were running over 1200bhp for qualifying,and 1000bhp in race trim.

Against that,600-750bhp isn't earth shattering....benhaha's point is right to the point.
    More power,less aero.
  15. Smudger14

Smudger14 Member

Ratings:
    +26
  16. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,410
    It's still wishy-washy stuff because they retained the rule about protecting the integrity of the sport; as is common across all sporting disciplines with a professional ruling body of course. I cannot see how Ferrari ordering Massa aside for Fernando to win could ever be compatible with protecting the integrity of F1. It isn't point blank. Not even a discussion. Whatever you say about Ferrari politics and it is their way to have a defined No1 and No2 driver, it is merely a distracting side point. Moving someone aside to ensure a result can never be upholding the integrity of fair competition

As for the electronic implementation of the adjustable wing, the jury is out until we see it in practice. That the FIA are saying they will monitor how it is working and make changes throughout the season if needs be shows nobody knows
  17. natterjak

natterjak Member

Ratings:
    +41
    Surely the point is that by dropping the rule forbidding team orders the F1 teams won't have to get into a position where they resort to pantomine "he's behind you" tactics to let the teammate through. Now things can be done in an open and transparent way there shouldn't be the scope for outraging the fans by suddenly destroying the illusion of competition. It can instead be planned and carried out in a more open way.

But... they've also drawn the teams' attention to the need not to bring the sport into disrepute, perhaps a way of saying don't be too cynical in your use of team orders or you'll still be in trouble.
  18. benhaha85

benhaha85 Active Member

Ratings:
    +431
    I don't think my focus has a double diffuser ;)

The aerodynamics applied in F1 have no relevance to normal road cars. They never have and they never will.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  19. hdsport

hdsport Member

Ratings:
    +215
    I absolutely HATE the adjustable rear wing idea the fact that only the following car can use is for me against the spirit of F1 and racing. Any overtaking that is down to the rear wing would be completely artificial. What next... allowing drivers to remotely 'zap' the car in front and turn on their pit lane speed limiter for 5 seconds :rotfl:

Overtaking should be about skill, now if you could only use the device X number of times a race (to attack or defend) then it might be a passable idea.
  20. hdsport

hdsport Member

Ratings:
    +215
    Not F1 but the new Audi R18 Le Mans prototype looks fantastic (note a return to a closed cockpit design).

Yfrog Photo : yfrog.com/gzcdpnj - Shared by SpeedSportLife

Can't wait to see it in action against the new Peugeot 90X. Plenty of British interest in sportscars/endurance racing if only the BBC would consider sticking some of it on the red button...would compliment their F1 coverage nicely (one can dream!).
  21. moby125

moby125 Member

Ratings:
    +139
    The new engine rule doesn't come in till 2013, but the adjustable wings and kesrs are next year.
  22. moby125

moby125 Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Here you go

YouTube - GP F1 de Monaco 1984-(Part.6/6)-Ayrton Senna & Alain Prost
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. moby125

moby125 Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Crikey that thing looks like it would eat you for breakfast and spit you out at the competition!!

Yes the BBC could quite easily stick it on the red button or BBC3, there could also show the Indycar series as well, considering there could well be 6 british drivers next year.:rolleyes:
  24. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,410
    Is there a new Fockers film out? I cannot tell :laugh:
  25. hdsport

hdsport Member

Ratings:
    +215
    Considering Dario didn't even make the shortlist for SPOTY I don't think IRL will be turning up on the beeb anytime soon it's just got no profile which is a shame. That said I'm fairly sure SKY's contract expired at the end of last season so they are up for grabs at the mo.

The BBC did use Eurosport's pictures to show (the aftermath of) Mansell's big crash this year that had just happened before they went on air.

They could just stick the world feed on the red button (maybe even with radio lemans commentary ;)) and have links from Jake et al (with someone at the track for interviews) for the start/finish. The timings would fit in perfectly with the Canadian GP again.

I don't think there wouldn't be much difficulty in getting some rights, they might even not have to pay for them e.g rumours Five are getting the WRC for free on some sponsored based deal (bit like C4's horse racing). Of course the BBC wouldn't get sponsorship money but it wouldn't be that expensive to produce.

Now if only I could run BBC Sport for a day! Probably the best we can hope for is a feature on Brundle and Blundell at Daytona.

EDIT Full gallery here of the R18 http://www.quattroworld.com/audi-motorsports/audi-r18-le-mans-prototype-unveiled/
  26. alexs2

alexs2 Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,709
    Lets do the team orders thing first.....it had to go,as teams will always find a way around it they want to.

F1 a test bed for road cars?.....I don't think so.

Take KERS for instance.....the way in which a road car may use such technology is totally different to the way in which a race car uses it,and other things like carbon brakes are unusable on all but a very few road cars.

Race car aero has no real relevance to road car aero,and the idea of very high power small capacity turbos.....the price and running costs of even a 200bhp/litre engine would put most people off.

Anyway...
  27. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani Member

Ratings:
    +101
    could F1 just dispense with aerodynamics, then? how many people does it employ? ultimately with everything F1 it will come down to money. what does F1 stand to lose if it just drops it's reliance on aerodynamics?
  28. John

John Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,570
    cornering !

is that even a word :confused:
  29. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani Member

Ratings:
    +101
    yes, it is. but, they'll only lose speed when cornering not the ability to actually navigate corners. is that so bad, anyway?

i was thinking more financially, though. is F1 aerodynamics a lucrative industry for F1?
  30. John

John Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,570
    No Aero + No weight over the front wheels =
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.