Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F1 2011....last but not least, Brazil

Discussion in 'F1 Formula 1 Forum' started by John, Jun 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. domtheone

domtheone Active Member

Ratings:
    +845
    Where's the DRS gonna be. They might as well have it active across the whole track then we might see 1 or 2 overtakes. Otherwise it'll be even worse than yesterday:rolleyes:

Be interesting to see an anonimous vote by all drivers as to what 19 circuits should be used for the season and then compare it the the current list.

I'm assuming the calender is all financially and politically motivated now rather than picking the best "racing" tracks.
  2. majson83

majson83 Member

Ratings:
    +116
    it is a shame that some brilliant tracks are not in the calender, or always on the verge of being dropped, yet others remain despite being utterlyboring. This and hungary are two of the most boring grand prix's i've seen yet imola, nurbergring are always dropped or at best rotated. Spa is often talked about being dropped.

As much as Brundle obviously likes the very last 2/3 corner layout, and it is one of the few places there seems to be over-taking, i think the track is generally dull and by the numbers. Tilke really shouldn't be allowed to design the tracks, or at least not ALL of them.

Only one great over-taking move, Button on Rosberg. but the Mclarens were off the pace this weekend. Bit worrying when both Hamilton and Button said the enw reg changes will effect them a lot too.

Ron Dennis would never have allowed this ;)
  3. majson83

majson83 Member

Ratings:
    +116
  4. jalaldevil

jalaldevil Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,014
    Next race: Silverstone

That explains why Mark Webber was at Wimbledon today.
  5. Homewrecker

Homewrecker Member

Ratings:
    +8
  6. hdsport

hdsport Member

Ratings:
    +233
    That and he lives over here. I think he was and may still be (not sure about DiResta) the only F1 driver who pays UK tax;)
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  7. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,496
    It could be positively oscillating, still would not match the RBR quali pace

Anyway, regarding feeling the bump... is someone pregnant?!
  8. John

John Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,641
    Reference to the last thread title. Keep up
    ;)
  9. jalaldevil

jalaldevil Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,014
    ah didn't know, well good on him. :smashin:
  10. hdsport

hdsport Member

Ratings:
    +233
  11. Homewrecker

Homewrecker Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I wonder if he'll return with some kind of robotic hand or claw?
  12. alexs2

alexs2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,712
    What sort of rubbish is that?

Have you not read any of the reports regarding Kubica's accident and treatment?

BBC Sport - Renault's Robert Kubica enters new recovery phase

F1Paddock.biz | Blog | Robert Kubica: Recovery pictures

The hand and forearm were revascularised and fractures were corrected,but the time for nerve function to recover,and strength etc with it will be measured in months,assuming he recovers the dexterity required to drive at that level.

There is frankly no way an F1 driver could operate the enormous number of functions on the steering wheel with a claw...

Formula 1 ....try this link for a bit of information.

The last F1 driver to have a more severe forearm injury was Allesandro Nannini...

Alessandro Nannini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The injury finished his F1 career,although he was able to race in touring cars and GT races.
  13. Homewrecker

Homewrecker Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Wait a minute...you actually thought I was seriously wondering if he would return with a claw?.....A goddamn CLAW?!
  14. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples Active Member

Ratings:
    +448
  15. Homewrecker

Homewrecker Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Turns out that it wasn't any upgrade that slowed their pace on Sunday.

They've said the set up for the race day was wrong. Apparently they'd used a specific aero configuration for Qualifying, and the difference in track and air temperature increased overnight. In a uncharacteristic oversight, they didn't adjust those configurations. Causing higher races of tire wear (due to over steer) and overheating of KERS (unfortunately for Button)

This is what was said in a post race interview with an engineer (that I've forgotten the name of) so as always a pinch of salt is necessey .

Hamilton mentioned also that the recent upgrades have been mainly to their front wing, and they need to make significant improvements to rear down force.

Which might be a further issue when OTBD are banned entirely for Silverstone.
  16. Homewrecker

Homewrecker Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I would further suggest that even if our metaphorical Captain Hook could match the skill and pace of other racers on the grid - safety regulations surrounding the drivers ability to vacate the car in an emergency and sharp objects in the monocock would negate the use of a claw in F1!
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  17. NooBish AbbZ 92

NooBish AbbZ 92 Active Member

Ratings:
    +568
    Originally Posted by alexs2
    AHAHAHAH :ROTFL: I'm reading this at the bus stop and I'm glad noone was here to hear me laughing at that :D That was quality :smashin:
  18. Citizen J

Citizen J Active Member

Ratings:
    +665
    Quite right. Add Bahrain to Valenica and Hungray that is a list to make any F1 fanatic weep.

Those tracks should be taken of the calendar pronto.
  19. Homewrecker

Homewrecker Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Personally, I wouldn't put Abu Dabi in the same rubbish bucket as Valencia and Hungary (and Bahrain in my opinion), but it's definitely not one of the high flyers.

Bring on Spa! Awesome race.
  20. majson83

majson83 Member

Ratings:
    +116
    i find the new hockenhiem to be very dull too
  21. alexs2

alexs2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,712
    Well...you made the original post,and it wouldn't be the first unusual suggestion we've seen here!

Anyway...as you say,the current state of F1 rules would stop anyone getting anywhere near the car with anything more dangerous than a towel,although a claw might be useful in grabbing a tow from the next Red Bull going past......that's about as near to a win as most of the others will see this year.
  22. Homewrecker

Homewrecker Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Haha potentially. I'm sure it could do a right number on a competitors tyres.

Screw it, if we end up having sprinklers we might as well give the drivers chains, pipes and nightsticks like Road Rash...

I suppose I'm new here, and dry humour doesn't translate too well without the arbitrary smiley face. Although, I was a little taken a back that you could assume I was that dense! Especially since I've been watching motorsport and F1 especially, for about 15 years (not that you could know that obviously!)

No harm, no foul.:smashin:
  23. Citizen J

Citizen J Active Member

Ratings:
    +665
    Meant Bahrain!
  24. Homewrecker

Homewrecker Member

Ratings:
    +8
    haha good.

I'd be happy if they just got rid of it entirely.

The new USA one looks very interesting
  25. alexs2

alexs2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,712
    Sprinklers.....I felt much the same about that.

F1 has been so mucked about with in terms of rules and regs that it's getting further away from being what it should be....the best of open wheel racing,with the most advanced technology.

The FW15C Williams remains the most advanced F1 car ever made,and that dates back to 1993.

Anyway.....we're stuck with DRS and KERS now.
  26. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,496
    For anyone interested, the sport have agreed to the engine changes which have also been pushed back a year to 2014: BBC Sport - Formula 1 bosses confirm engines will not change until 2014

Confirmation 4 cylinders have been binned. Quite amusing the entire heartache was at the behest of Audi who at the last minute changed their mind about entering F1

Whilst one can appreciate the eagerness for potential new manufacturers after the economic downturn led to some high-profile withdrawals from the sport, presumably [hopefully] in future the teams and FIA will not put all their eggs in one basket so readily for ifs and maybes...
  27. Homewrecker

Homewrecker Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I don't mind things like KERS and DRS, because it's just another regulated performance tool. Yes, they definitely need tweeking, but it was never going to be perfect first time. There was a similar outcry the first time aerofoil wings were introduced, and the emphasis on mechanical grip reduced.

I bet every generation of F1 fans will have complained about the most recent developments in racing tech. Whether that be aerofoil wings, ground effect aeros, or the ridiculously mechanically and electronically aided FW15C for example.

All these recent developments, actually don't bother me too much. In fact, I find them very interesting, especially KERS. I don't believe in their current format they make overtaking 'too easy' or 'artificial'. You could argue that the current turbulent aero nature, artificially reduces overtaking opportunities (however that is a bi-product of that level of aerodynamic precision)

In my opinion the era of Ferrari/Schumacher, launch & traction control, electronic engine breaking, unlimited testing & Ferrari's exclusive overnight bespoke Bridgestone rubber was the worst years. Mainly because it lasted about 3 or 4 years, until some restrictions on electronics was introduced in 2007.

The Engine issue however, is starting to get my beef... Even Brundel during the commentary of Valencia mentioned how little torque the current generation of engines have, he sounded properly dejected while describing it. :(

I understand the need to be 'Greener' but... there's gotta be a limit to where you say "look, lets be honest, its is NOT a green sport, and never will be". Sure concessions need to be made, but when they were suggesting 4 Cylinder? Excuse me...but **** that, this is supposed to be the pinnacle of Motorsport.

It just seems to me, that F1 has a very real potential of becoming a laughing stock due to this current green fad.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  28. Homewrecker

Homewrecker Member

Ratings:
    +8
  29. The Atheist

The Atheist Member

Ratings:
    +153
    Too late ;)
  30. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,496
    I actually agree kers should be more deeply integrated. Yes motorsport of any discipline will always be suspect when trying to justify it environmentally, but kers is potentially one tool which may transcend motorsport into normal road cars. Also it is quite inhibited in its current form and it would be interesting to see looser restrictions
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.