Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extract Sky Sagemcom F@ST2504n router username & password

Discussion in 'Sky Broadband' started by sparkyuiop, Oct 19, 2011.

1. sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop Member

Ratings:
    +6
    1. Download & install Programmers Notepad here: Programmer's Notepad » Download
    2. Connect your F@ST2504n router (may work for others) to your ethernet / LAN socket and power on.
    3. Open Internet Explorer and type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and press ENTER.
    4. Login to the router with Username: admin Password: sky
    5. Click ADVANCED, MAINTENANCE and then BACKUP SETTINGS
    6. Next to 'Save a Copy of Current Settings' click the red BACKUP link and save the file to your desktop.
    7. Find the 'sky_backupsetting.conf' file or whatever it is called that you downloaded to your desktop, right click it and select OPEN WITH...
    8. If Programmers Notepad is not already in the list click BROWSE and navigate to 'c:\Program Files\Programmers Notepad' and double click the 'pn.exe' file. If you do not have your extensions shown then it will be just 'pn' with a yellow paper and pen type icon.
    9. You should now have a programmers notepad window open. On your keyboard press the 'Ctrl' key and the 'F' key to open search or just click SEARCH in the file menu. In the 'Find What' box type "@skydsl" (without the quotes) and click FIND NEXT.
    10. Your Username is between <Username> and </Username> and directly below is your password between <Password> and ==</password>

Enjoy my friends!

[​IMG]
    • Thanks Thanks x 4
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  2. sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I'm also guessing that you can edit the text to change things not avaliable through the web interface and flash the file back to the router. Possibly to use with another ISP? If anyone can verify this it might be usefull to someone.
  3. wakaru

wakaru Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This procedure did not work with my Sky broadband router.
    After saving the config file the <Username> and <Password> are nowhere to be found.
    The router is fairly new as I just recently signed up for Sky recently.
    Any help? I desperately need to use a different and better broadband router.
    Thanks.

Router Status
    System Details
    Manufacturer Sagemcom
    Model Number F@ST2504n
    Firmware Version 5.23.1a4N
    ADSL Firmware Version A2pD030n.d23b
  4. gonzodad

gonzodad Member

Ratings:
    +7
    got the router today, used this method and got the un and pw. will be testing with another router soon .

cheers sparky
  5. beerhunter

beerhunter Active Member

Ratings:
    +759
    Why is that?
  6. sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I have noticed that my method above only works if your router is not connected to the sky network when you save the config file.
    I discovered this method before my Sky service 'went live' and although connected to the phone line at the time it had the red internet light instead of the green one.
    If I try to do this now it does not show my password / username in the text as it did before. I have not tried this but it might be worth pulling the phone cable from the socket and doing it again. If that doesn't work and you really want to know your login details badly, get another cable that runs from your Sky router to your phone socket / filter, plug one end into the router, chop off the plug on the other end, strip the two wires and connect to a 9 volt battery and try it again. That MAY fool the router into thinking it is connected to a line and that it needs to login - prompting the username and password to be brought up and so stored in it's config file.
    This is all guesswork though and if anyone could confirm the results of my theory that would be good. I'd do it myself but I can't be arsed!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. sheppty

sheppty Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Worked a treat....excellent step by step guide btw.

Thanks indeed:smashin:
  8. sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop Member

Ratings:
    +6
    No worries

Has anyone tried this yet after the router has been sucessfully connected to the sky network and got the pw? Does removing the phone cable work or the 9v battery trick required?
    Anyone could confirm this it would be helpful.

Phill.
  9. sheppty

sheppty Member

Ratings:
    +42
    I successfully extracted the password before my service was switched on but was unsuccessful in using my dlink router due to the Network type being 'MER' rather than PPPoA.

Google has confirmed that 'MER' uses the MAC address as part of the network log on and as my dlinlk has a different MAC, even using the extracted ASDL username and password, it will not log on.

Fortunately the Sagem router Sky supplied seems ok. I was concerned about getting 'OPEN' nat on both xboxes with it which is why I wanted to be able to use my existing dlink that I knew worked.

However, initial tests with the Sagem have resulted in 'OPEN' nat on both consoles so I have not needed the dlink.
  10. Miss Chief

Miss Chief Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,139
    If your router supports Mac spoofing then input the Mac from the sky router and it should work.
  11. dan2406

dan2406 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    oh thank god, thank you this has save me so much trouble. thanks :laugh:
  12. sentrino

sentrino Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. New to the site. \i have tried the 9V battery but not working, did you attach the battery to the chopped end of the filter direct to the router? Thanks
  13. sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop Member

Ratings:
    +6
    No I have not done it. I guess it don't work then. Anyway there is an easier way with this tool.

New monitor tool (2.0.0.0) to reboot router automatically
  14. sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop Member

Ratings:
    +6
  15. BigDaddy ACTUAL

BigDaddy ACTUAL Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. New here. Your instructions worked so far as obtaining the username and password... and it was all plugged in and connected. (thanks for that btw) :clap:

Only trouble is, my other router didn't connect to sky using the username and password given by the pnotepad. :(. Shame really. Might be something I'm doing wrong but can't see what.

just to clarify, the pnotepad gave me...

<Username>blahblahblah@skydsl</Username>
    <Password>supersecretpassword==</Password>

I used blahblahblah@skydsl as username and supersecretpassword as my password (actual settings have been changed to protect the innocent).

Using a D-Link DSL-2740R. Any suggestions would be great, but no worries otherwise. Just a shame SKY don't help out much.

Nice work anyway as obviously it has worked for others. :)
  16. cosmicma

cosmicma Member

Ratings:
    +11
  17. Bigjonblue

Bigjonblue Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bit of a neebie to forums and all that. Desperatelly want to use my Belkin Playmax router so I can use the routers USB features.. which the Sagecom router does not have :mad:. I have managed to extract the back up info but the Username doesn't look like a standard broadband useraname ie "phone number@isp.net" It is simplly Sky followed by three letters. Is this the correct place to look for this info. The password info looks liek a broadband password

Any bright ideas
    <
    ConnectionRequestUsername></ConnectionRequestUsername>
    ConnectionRequestPassword>password</ConnectionRequestPassword>
  18. thefinch

thefinch Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Please help, tried downloading the notepad couldnt find details tried the other method using the password generator input details in my router setup but doesnt want to play, i am looking to upgrade to a netgear dgn 1000

Thanks in advance
  19. thefinch

thefinch Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi right I have managed to extract the username and password but no matter what I cannot get the router to connect I get a screen come up wan test, connection to server failed, LCP down, CHAP authentication failed

Am I missing something?

Thanks
  20. lok1

lok1 Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Same here.
  21. lok1

lok1 Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Anyone have a work around for this?
  22. Miss Chief

Miss Chief Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,139
    Yes. Use Sky's own Router.

:D
  23. thefinch

thefinch Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have ended up turning off wireless on the sky router and using the netgear signal loads better also had that many bits of kit plugged in to Ethernet I bought an 8 port gigabit switch
  24. stevebez

stevebez Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I sidelined the sky router and went for a billion 7800n - streets better - and there is a firmware specifically which allows sky fibre EWAN connection. Plus its got 4 gigabit ports and separate EWAN port.

So far very good result, and happy - there are programs out there that can decipher the sky username/password the notepad way does not work anymore with the newer firmwares.

The Billion forums hass allot of documentation on this. Good luck!
  25. shaft120

shaft120 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    FYI :hiya:

For anybody that is using the fantastic ASUS RT-N66U Dark Knight

There is a 3rd party modified version of the Asus Firmware (not a totally re-written firmware, just tweaked), which allows you to add the required DHCP handshake info SKY requires.

Once you have performed the firmware update (as per normal manual firmware update), you just need to go into the WAN advanced settings and in "Additional DHCP Options" enter your Sky Fibre username and password like so:

<username>@skydsl|<password>

Replace Username with your MAC address of your old Sky router and use the password generator to create your password (Sky router password generator)

And hey presto, you'll have direct Fibre broadband with a serious hardware upgrade. No problems with dynamic IP updates, no need to replace your firmware with a total re-write and no messing around with telnet or DD-WRT flashing.

Awesome fix by Merlin:

Asuswrt-Merlin - custom firmware for the Asus RT-N66U router | Merlin's Tower :thumbsup:
  26. Suedama1756

Suedama1756 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The instructions for the N66U do not seem to work. I've tried everything, including reverting to the merlin R10 release (first release this feature was added in, and it didn't even accept the length of string required until I hacked the web page). In the latest firmware this option has been renamed.

My only success has been using a static IP with the wan MAC address spoofed, but the static IP is not a workable solution as it gets reset.

I'm pretty desperate to get this working so any advice would be greatly appreciated, are there other settings I've missed?
  27. RED_

RED_ Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I can't believe how bad this router is, I set it up to my liking and even set a system where I would do monthly backups. Purely because the router will sometimes reset itself or I would have to reset, more often than I expected to be honest. Anyway, even my backups won't restore now! What the hell, whatever backup I use it just does the whole procedure and leaves me with the factory settings. Dumb thing.

Thanks for this tutorial, I have to start using my Netgear as the DHCP router and therefore my main one, right now it's just a slave connected to the Sky router.
  28. misskittykaz

misskittykaz New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ALL YOU NEED IS THE MAC ADDRESS AND PASSWORD ON THE SKY ROUTER SO IT WILL BE : MAC ADDRESS@skydsl then you password on the router too :)
  29. Hedgehog1979

Hedgehog1979 Member

Ratings:
    +44
    The password required is not the password on the Sky router, this is just for wireless. The password in question is the password the router will use to access the sky network not the password you will use to connect to the router.
  30. Trollslayer

Trollslayer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,751
    You can also change the DNS servers to get away from lots of filters if you want.