Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External Blu Ray writer

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Brad182, May 12, 2009.

1. Brad182

Brad182 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Hey people,

I need an external Blu-ray writer. I have a macbook pro and have some Hi-Def Home movies that I would like to back up. Im going to buy a copy of toast for burning the files but would like to know if anybody can reccomend a good external drive or even another solution?

Thanks,

Brad

Edit*: Forgot to mention I can burn these Region free right? I have a US PS3 and will be using this to play the disks.
    Last edited: May 12, 2009
  2. Curly99

Curly99 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,062
    doing the above is probably classed as re-authoring or circumventing copy protection/removing the region code, as such it can not be discussed on the forum.

Curly
  3. Brad182

Brad182 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Surley thats not true? you can buy the majority of major motion pictures region free on Blu ray?
  4. blumonkey

blumonkey Member

Ratings:
    +41
    Im also looking for a good external BD- ReWriter for backing up my files etc.... any recommendations ?
  5. rjamesd

rjamesd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought the LG BE06LU10 6X EXTERNAL BLU-RAY DISC REWRITER
    LG Blu-Ray | BE06LU10 : LG UK

Haven't got around to using it just yet but I'd recommend LG as they are the leader in optical drives. This writer will read and write all CD,DVD and Blu-ray formats. It will also read the rival now defunct HD-DVD format.

As for region-free, I would think that personal/consumer Blu-ray recorded discs do not have region built-in so it should be region-free and work on any Blu-ray drive/player. After all, why should your own content not be accessible on anyone's reader? But do check. My reasoning behind this is that region-ing is used with commercial pressed/stamped DVDs and Blu-rays to prevent people buying movies cheaper abroad and playing them. It is a way in which the companies control the markets, prices and when movies are to be released in different countries. My opinion is that it is silly. You can probably get software or instructions to make your Blu-ray writer/player region free as this sort of thing has been available for DVD-players/recorders - for example a remote control sequence to send to the player. Either that or a firmware upgrade.
  6. Brad182

Brad182 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks mate, this is actually the one I'm thinking of buying. Where did you purchase yours from? Ive found amazon cheapest so far.
  7. rjamesd

rjamesd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I bought mine from amazon.co.uk No problems. dabs.com are a little cheaper at the moment I think:
    dabs.com - LG Electronics BLU-RAY BD-RW/HD DVD-ROM EXTERNAL USB2 (BE06LU10)

Dabs are fine - I've ordered loads of stuff from them, very good website, good customer service, even when had to do returns.

Don't like to have too many things delivered to my office at work so I got amazon to send it to my home address with the view to pick it up from the courier depot. Amazon sometimes use Home Delivery Network which from my limited experience have been fine though some have maligned them. If you get yours delivered when you are out, then you can use this page to find the number of your local depot to call them to collect the item:
    More Hard-To-Find Telephone Numbers - Amazon and Home Delivery Network*:: ivorysky

I also bought the disc media 1 x BD-R DL (50Gb!) and 5 x BD-R SL (25Gb) from amazon too. I always go for TDK, Verbatim or Sony brands, anything else is a false economy really. Not all optical media is the same: different chemicals and processes are used to make the discs.

Myself, I wouldn't bother with the BD-RE rewritable discs because the speed is relatively low and limited rewrite times. My strategy is to use a secondary USB or ethernet based external hard disc for medium-term backup storage and for longer term storage burn this data to 2 or more Blu-ray discs once I've got 25Gb of data to backup each time, then delete this off the hard disc to make room for more data to back up.

I use up storage quite a lot with video editing and audio work.

I also have a Lacie 2Big 2Tb RAID1 dual hard disk NAS
    dabs.com - LaCie 2TB LaCie 2big Network 1.1 Gibabit NAS (301421EK)

Eventually I'll add a media server (like from Netgear) to stream music and video from this around my flat.
  8. SteveClarke

SteveClarke Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking for a reasonably priced Blu-ray writer for copying my hi-def home movies onto (rather than having to play them back using the camera). I've seen "Panasonic USB 2.0 UJ225B Blu-Ray Burner/Players" on ebay for about £115 which seems reasonably cheap - albeit they are coming from Taiwan so I'll probably have to pay some duty on them. Does anyone have any experience of these units - or is this a false economy and I'd be better off buying the LG version in the UK?