1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extension usb cable for Kinect

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Hardware' started by blue_eyes777, Oct 29, 2010.

1. blue_eyes777

blue_eyes777 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  2. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,001
    In theory it should.

The only reason it may not is that MS have made the Kinect end a proprietry connection.

The thing is, if they did that everyone would have to buy the official MS Kinect extension cables.

Wait a minute.... :rolleyes:
  3. Earlyflash

Earlyflash Member

Ratings:
    +472
  4. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,001
  5. DJSigma

DJSigma New Member

Ratings:
    +1,910
    That extension cable (the OP's link, not the PDP one) won't plug into the dedicated Kinect port of a 360 S, but if you're using a standard USB socket on a 360 I don't see why it wouldn't work.

That should be "Sheesh PDP" as that's the company making it. That price is a **** take though.
  6. Earlyflash

Earlyflash Member

Ratings:
    +472
    I agree, but these are the only 'official' cables. They are still stupidly expensive.

A standard USB should work for just signal, but as I said no-one really knows as yet.
  7. DJSigma

DJSigma New Member

Ratings:
    +1,910
    I don't see how they can make it proprietary. They can't change the plug, or it won't plug into the USB ports on the 360, which are just standard USB 2.0 ports. If it was proprietary, I would have expected PDP to make a version for the standard 360, so they can sell it for £50 a metre. :D
  8. Earlyflash

Earlyflash Member

Ratings:
    +472
    Indeed, but I've had issues with USB devices that pull power over USB over any distance. 10m is probably a bit of a stretch.

I know it has a seperate power suplly, but it may still pull some via this route.
  9. DJSigma

DJSigma New Member

Ratings:
    +1,910
    Actually, you're spot on there. If it does pull power via the cable then 10m is way too long.

Also, I retract what I said above about that cable being OK, even though it's actually a 5m repeater cable and a 5m USB cable: -

USB.org - USB FAQ
  10. Hillskill

Hillskill Moderator/Games Reviewer

Ratings:
    +4,380
    Yeah I have extended USB mad long distances with active extenders and the odd powered hub along the way to give it a boost. Should be ok with the kinect but its not something I have been that excited about to take interest. As a peripheral theres no reason why it shouldn't work.
  11. blue_eyes777

blue_eyes777 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys. still a bit confused though -where can I get a self powered hub from?
    Does anybody think my solution might work or would I have to use the hub?>
  12. Hillskill

Hillskill Moderator/Games Reviewer

Ratings:
    +4,380
    Its active USB extension cables you need. You will generally find them in 5 metre lengths and they are labelled as being ok to daisy chain for a length of 20 metres totally. See if that does the job and if the signal is unstable perhaps get a powered USB hub into the chain.
  13. everett_psycho

everett_psycho Active Member

Ratings:
    +902
    i was under the impression the kinect cable was a proprietry port but they would basically split it with an adapter for old xboxes with one half going to the mains and one half to normal usb. If i'm right with this a normal usb lead would work fine as it will only be carrying data and the power will be from the mains. Might need some active extensions to keep the data but it should work fine with normal leads even on the new slims
  14. BIGbungle

BIGbungle Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I've got the same problem i am just gunna buy active usb cables for my 10m run. The power will come from the kinetic power adapter. Will reply to this thread if it works (when I get my cable delivery)
  15. Supra

Supra Member

Ratings:
    +14
    According to this post USB repeater extender cables do work :thumbsup:
  16. JonStatt

JonStatt Active Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Good news because it certainly couldn't have been assumed to work. Some devices hate repeaters due to the timing latency involved. For example nVidia 3D vision emitters do not like repeaters.
  17. BIGbungle

BIGbungle Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Yes it works fine :)
  18. Salvia

Salvia Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey guys.
    I bought this --> 5m USB 2.0 Active Repeater Extension Cable - Premium Quality / High Speed:Amazon:Electronics and it seemed to work fine. After hiding under the carpet with other cables I kept getting 'kinect sensor needs to restart' or it just would not complete start up.
    Taking the cable out from under the carpet it was still unreliable. Using a standard 3m USB extension works perfectly fine but it not long enough to hide away
    Can people please state 5m active extenders they feel are 100% reliable please
    I also find 1 rear USB port on the back of my xbox-s doesn't work at all, so maybe not all ports have same signal strengths?
  19. jonnormy

jonnormy Member

Ratings:
    +2
  20. titch71

titch71 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Mines been working fine without any problems.
  21. Salvia

Salvia Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just ordered that one from Maplin, thanks.
    Still suffering from a badly sprained neck jumping up and down like a mad thing trying to get the raft in Kinect Adventures to rise !
  22. spaedwards

spaedwards Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, so the solution for over 5m is??

Is it a 5m active usb extension and then a 5m active usb repeater? Or could I get away with one 12m usb active repeater (or do I need the connections of the extender?).Please let me know my brain goes into meltdown when it comes to networking things.
  23. piros

piros Active Member

Ratings:
    +414
    I keep having to move my kinect when I want to use it which I'm bored of now as my 360 is far away from my TV. I'd need a cable about 7.5m long, either I put my xbox next to the TV and get a 7.5m optical cable (haven't checked to see if that length would cause problems?) or keep xbox where it is and get the same length extension cable for the kinect.

Just to clarify, do USB extenders work with the new xbox 360's as obviously it has a dedicated port for the kinect rather than using the normal USB ports?

I'm thinking it'd just be easier to move the xbox and get a long optical cable though...
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  24. Salvia

Salvia Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Mine is the Xbox S and is connected with the Maplin 5m extension cable. Works fine, no probs at all.
    At the back there are some USB ports. Mine is plugged into middle one.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. aerodynamic18

aerodynamic18 Member

Ratings:
    +22
    i hope one of you guys can help me cause i asked this over at the xbox.com forums and i havnt got a proper answer yet. i know that a 5 meter active extension lead will work as loads of ppl have said but what i dont understand is how? First i have a xbox 360elite not the new one. So what i think ppl are saying it from the xbox plug in the active 5m extension(which ill put through the wall) and then behind the tv(which is where it will come out of the wall) plug in the kinect power adaptor/usb lead and then plug in the kinect? is this correct? thanks :thumbsup:
  26. Salvia

Salvia Member

Ratings:
    +1
    From the kinect is a cable that splits into two. One part goes off to the DC power adapter that comes with the kinect. The other part goes into a USB port on your Xbox. This USB is extended using the active extension cable. The reason it is called active is that is uses power from your xbox USB socket to drive an amplifier to boost the signal allowing longer length
  27. aerodynamic18

aerodynamic18 Member

Ratings:
    +22
    yea i get that but i guess if my tv is on the wall then the cable with the power supply will be up there behind the tv and the usb cable(with the active extender) from it will run down to the xbox correct?
  28. Salvia

Salvia Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yep
  29. aerodynamic18

aerodynamic18 Member

Ratings:
    +22
    great thanks for the answer. i can pick up the cable and give it a go :D
  30. leonjudge

leonjudge Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So if i needed to extend by 15m could i daisy chain three of the maplin 5m active USB cables?
    Thanks
    Leon