1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extending Aerial Coax cable

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by theodotcom, Oct 23, 2008.

1. theodotcom

theodotcom Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I current have all my tv aerial coax cables running to one location however i want to move them all to the garage, if I extend these cables using male to female adapters will I lose quality in the signal?

Thanks for any advice
  2. awoodhall2003

awoodhall2003 Member

Ratings:
    +67
    not usually unless your running it over very long lengths then you might require an line amplifier also use rg-6 not rg-56 i believe i remember seeing when i was looking at extending our coaxial wire to the bedroom exterior to the property.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. vex

vex Active Member

Ratings:
    +279
    Use WF100 cable as a Sky / Freeview approved cable. Any of the RG series cables are not.

Extending should be no problem just make sure there are no rouge copper braids shorting onto the centre conductor.

HTH

V.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. awoodhall2003

awoodhall2003 Member

Ratings:
    +67

I swear i was once told RG 6 though, not for sky, just normal terrestial aerial?
  5. vex

vex Active Member

Ratings:
    +279
    RG Series cables are all from the USA and traditionally from the Cable TV market. There are also wildly different qualities.

You will not find any reputable aerail installer using RG cables, stick to CT or WF100 and you will be fine.

V.
  6. awoodhall2003

awoodhall2003 Member

Ratings:
    +67

ace cheers, suppose speaking to an american then! lol!
  7. theodotcom

theodotcom Member

Ratings:
    +9
    thanks for the all the replys. Also on the subject of tv cables can anyone advise where to buy the twin cable for sky hd. I only need about 15-20meters but everything i have seen is for 100meters lenght. Ideally after the twin coax one because i've heard its thinner than the standard coax and because i need to run it behind some beading i need it as thin as possible. is that true that it is thinner?
  8. Rustle

Rustle Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I had to extend some of the aerial cables in my loft recently. I used 2 f-type males connectors and an f-type coupler. I then wrapped the whole thing in self amalgamating tape. Seems to have done the trick.
  9. Marky P

Marky P Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    That's the best way to do it.:thumbsup:
  10. MitsiTurbo

MitsiTurbo Member

Ratings:
    +91
    Was about to add that myself. Use F-Connectors on the cable and join the using an F-Connector barrel.

That 'Shotgun' Sky cable isnt held in that high regard. Try and use 2 feeds of the CT/WF100 if you can
  11. Rustle

Rustle Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Good to know I have got something right :)