Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exciting news for Pink Floyd fans !

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Phil-YAI, May 10, 2011.

1. overkill

overkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,083
    If you can afford it why not? My m8 got the Immersion set (inc the blu ray), because, let's face it, he's a Floyd nut! :D

Was fun listening to it with someone completely uncritical though........... :laugh:
  2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,259
    I can't afford it but can ask for it as a Xmas present along with WYWH. I will then get The Wall myself next year.

I would never buy the immersion sets due to the price and I hate the packaging. If just the discs came in a simple digipak (none of these stupid cardboard sleeves) then I probably would.
  3. overkill

overkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,083
    That's some nifty xmas presents then! :smashin:

It is a mickey take charging that much for the set then providing naff sleeves for the discs.

Still, what do we expect? :rolleyes:
  4. nwgarratt

Ratings:
    +2,259
    I am all for better eco packaging but paying up to £10 for a CD and getting a bit of cardboard to slide it in is just insane.

I wonder if there has been a CD case like a 6 disc DVD case but only CD height?
  5. overkill

overkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,083
    I would just stick them in a 6 way CD case. That's what my m8's done. He tried faffing about with those 'CD protector' inner sleeves then gave them up as a bad job.
  6. cbeckerson

cbeckerson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't really worry about packaging - just the music! I love the '74 DSOTM gig and the early mix of the album. I also love the early animals stuff included in the WYWH immersion box set. The DSOTM immersion box set offers more for me than the WYWH as I don't have a surround sound system.
  7. cbeckerson

cbeckerson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if there will be any animals album box sets or just the remaster?
  8. Anodyne

Anodyne Member

Ratings:
    +128
    No word on Animals, but there have been mentions of the possibility of a set covering the Syd Barret era.
  9. overkill

overkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,083
    What, one album and a few singles? ;)
  10. Anodyne

Anodyne Member

Ratings:
    +128
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  11. overkill

overkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,083
  12. cbeckerson

cbeckerson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Me too. Animals is the third greatest flood album...
  13. puddleduck

puddleduck Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Agreed:

1) Meddle
    2) Wish You Were Here
    3) Animals

DSOTM misses greatness due to the dreadful dirge that is 'Money'.

Would love the SACD of WYWH if I can find it this side of the pond.
  14. unique

unique Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,255
    it would be nice and make sense if they finally released some of the old demos etc with syd, as there is a fair few of them and whilst they've been doing the rounds for years, the quality is pretty bad on some of them

in saying that, i'd prefer a really good animals box set, with demos and 5.1 mix

there are also the 71 live radio sessions with embryo, echoes, atom heart mother, fat old sun etc that just sound brilliant and would form a good centre to a radio session set

other things that would be interesting to add to releases would be if they had recordings of the man and his journey and some of the early live stuff, as due to the age, most of the existing recordings are hard to listen to
  15. Nick 81

Nick 81 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    One of my biggest wants is an audio version of 'Live at Pompeii' Plus it was shot om 35mm, so could be scrubbed up for BR (I've mentioned this several times previously!).

Bought the double disc DSOTM on Saturday, and the live rendition is magnificent. The double disc WYWH will be purchased next weekend.
  16. overkill

overkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,083
    Not sure about the Syd stuff as I say, but Animals, and in particular the 71' sessions would be really interesting.
  17. unique

unique Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,255
    pompeii would be good, but they've still not stuck the wall on BR either. but it has been shown on HDTV somewhere so hopefully a BR isn't too far away, but i thought it would have been included with the box set or released around the same time
  18. Roy4253

Roy4253 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Anyone know if:

The Best of Pink Floyd - Alexander Jero Custom Audiophile Presentation [7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio Disc] [Blu-ray Audio]

is region-free? What's on it? Anything about it? It's available from 29th November 2011 from Amazon.com at $26.99.

Here's a link to release detail at Blu-ray.com:

The Best of Pink Floyd Blu-ray

According to Amazon.com it's 135 minutes in duration.
  19. Tetlee

Tetlee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,824
    I've never been able to find the answer to this question so if anyone knows, was there ever a quad recording of Animals?

If there was then it would give me a glimmer of hope it may someday receive the DSOTM/WYWH lossless surround treatment(on SACD ideally).
  20. Anodyne

Anodyne Member

Ratings:
    +128
    Atom Heart Mother, DSOTM and Wish You Were Here were the only ones issued in Quad, but there are rumours of Animals being prepared but never released so it's possible tapes might still exist.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. unique

unique Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,255
    there was never an officially released quad mix of animals, and i've never seen any realistic rumours that it was ever mixed in quad

but that's not to say that they still couldn't go back to the masters and make a 5.1 mix as has been done with other old albums like petsounds

the fact that the live early versions of the animals tracks were on the WYWH reissue adds more weight to there not being an animals boxset though. of course they haven't announced one. i suppose it depends on how well the remasters do, but DSOTM was done in 5.1 in 2003 and the quad back in the day, and WYWH was originally to be released in 5.1 for the 30th anniversary and according to the date seems only to be completed in 2009. so those mixes were already done

a 5.1 of pros and cons of hitchiking would be good. the roger solo stuff in 5.1 would benefit the releases due to the sound effects etc
  22. english_bob

english_bob Member

Ratings:
    +132
    Elusivedisc have just dispatched my WYWH SACD! :D
  23. overkill

overkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,083
    That just goes to show, I was really disappointed with the live version of DSTOM! To me it sounds flat (but then I hate live albums on CD they all sound flat) and a bit 'lazy' in the way they are playing it.

In fact the whole DSTOM immersion set has left me a bit underwhelmed now I've heard it all.

The Blu ray is easily the best disc to these ears..........
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. Tetlee

Tetlee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,824
    Just put my order in, hope the discount thing works, such a strange system.

Wanted to pay Paypal but obviously no way of applying the discount that way.
  25. nwgarratt

Ratings:
    +2,259
    I would like the WYWH SACD but not at those prices. Hopefully it will come to the UK sometime in the future. I remember paying £8.99 for the SACD from Amazon.
  26. Phil-YAI

Phil-YAI Member

Ratings:
    +124
    I caved in and ordered from Elusivedisc too earlier this evening.
    I'm hoping someone will give it to me as a Christmas present. :D

I'll also be keeping a close eye on the order to check whether they apply the discount.
  27. overkill

overkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,083
    The LP is out, and sounds pretty good. However, if you have an OP then don't hold your breath. That and the Nimbus pressing are the best versions of WYWH.
  28. Nick 81

Nick 81 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Understandable overkill, every person has different tastes :thumbsup: I was comparing it to the DSOTM rendition on the 'Pulse' live album. The Pulse version sounds a bit too reserved to me, perhaps too much David Gilmour influence. Though I have not done any critical back-to-back listening yet.

Also have the SACD of DSOTM so did not indulge in the Immersion set. Though the SACD does sound a touch 'pumped up' dynamics wise, but not the train wreck of modern album releases.
  29. overkill

overkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,083
    Ah! Tbh I was comparing it to the 'Is there anybody out there' 'Wall' live set which is a pretty good rendition of the concert. However, that's not really fair either, as Floyd set out to record the Wall live, whereas the DSTOM live sounds like a 'we stuck a few mikes up at the time' recording. :D
  30. Tetlee

Tetlee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,824
    Contacted elusivedisc today to ask if the NEWWEB code had been accepted with my order as it was still showing full price when I logged into my account this evening($44.93).

Had a response and they've confirmed the code was accepted, and the total is $40.06, some way off what Jon_C managed to achieve at $33.99 detailed below, perhaps you got lucky with a slight error there Jon. Was hoping for the same total as it's also closer to the import tax limit, still at around £28.00 it's currently the best price including delivery so just have to keep fingers crossed it slips through the post unnoticed.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011