Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exciting news for Pink Floyd fans !

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Phil-YAI, May 10, 2011.

1. GaryB

GaryB Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,119
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. Jon_C

Jon_C Member

Ratings:
    +162
    MusicDirect's estimated delivery charge for one SACD is $24.85 so unless that decreases when you actually register with them and go through the checkout (which I am not doing just to get an accurate delivery charge), that's almost as steep as ordering from Acoustic Sounds direct.

Elusivedisc, on the other hand, charge only $9.94 for delivery and first-time customers can get a bit of a discount on that by using the code NEWWEB in the shopping basket (NB - before the checkout stage). They also accept Paypal. The shipping discount is unspecified because really what they are doing is giving US customers free delivery and then discounting international postage to an equivalent amount. They say they'll email customers with the final total but even without that discount, about £28 including international postage is much more reasonable than £38, especially bearing in mind that we'll probably get stung for a customs and Royal Mail ransom... I mean handling charge.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. english_bob

english_bob Member

Ratings:
    +132
    There is news from EMI about the SACD's wider release.

They don't care.

The fact that the SACD was outscourced to Acoustic Sounds to produce, being a native US company with no international operation, means this was always going to be USA only.
  4. Tetlee

Tetlee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,838
    Hugely disappointing the way this SACD release is being handled, this could have really been a release to argue the case of demand for the format, instead it's being treated as so niche that it isn't even worth releasing outside of the US:nono:

Decided I'm going to wait for the chance to buy from an ebay seller, probably won't be much if any cheaper than Elusivedisc as detailed above(thanks Jon_C) but at least can request value to be marked down and a plain jiffy is always more likely to slip through than a package with full details(store, contents, value etc.) plastered all over it.
  5. Nick 81

Nick 81 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Very wise words Tetlee. I recently bought a couple of Audio Fidelity discs from ebay US sellers, and each came in simple brown paper envelopes with no markings.

So if the disc has decent AQ (no compression and volume to 11) then I'll be ebaying.
  6. badkarma

badkarma Member

Ratings:
    +237
  7. Jon_C

Jon_C Member

Ratings:
    +162
    Looks like Eluvisedisc are only charging me $3 for international shipping and haven't charged tax either.:smashin:
  8. Tetlee

Tetlee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,838
    Sounds promising, so how much is your total?
  9. Jon_C

Jon_C Member

Ratings:
    +162
    $33.99
  10. Tetlee

Tetlee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,838
    That's a very good price, would have been happy with that. Created an account but ordering WYWH with the cheapest delivery, with the NEWWEB code accepted comes to $44.93 for me:(
  11. Jon_C

Jon_C Member

Ratings:
    +162
    Lee,

I've just gone through the motions of ordering another copy from Elusivedisc to check the figures and I can assure you that $44.93 is only the price they show you at the checkout - ie before they manually work out the discounted international delivery price.

It's a little odd that their checkout process doesn't automatically give you the final discounted total but it does say that if you click the 'free shipping for first-time customers' link to the left of the homepage:

"ATTENTION: Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, FPO, APO and International customers will need to choose the shipping method and cost they want. We will apply the equivalent savings on shipping as domestic US customers would receive. Amount to be determined by weight of shipment.
    NOTE: This discount will not be shown on the checkout page. We will lower your shipping amount after we download and process your order."

They could perhaps have done this in a more straightforward way but at least they are doing it at all. A lot of US companies offer free shipping to US customers but don't offer an equivalent discount on the price of international shipping.

I didn't get a confirmation email either. Perhaps they only send an email on despatch. Either way, I got the final total by logging into my Elusivedisc account and clicking on 'order status', where it shows:

Subtotal: $30.99
    Tax: $0.00
    Shipping & handling: $3.00
    Grand Total: $33.99
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. english_bob

english_bob Member

Ratings:
    +132
    Ok, so the main discovery box set with all the albums comes out next Monday. Anyone getting it.

I'm on the fence personally, don't know enough about the releases in advance to spend £140 on it. I don't like the symbols in the top left of every front cover, and not sure if they are mini-lp replicas or not.
  13. Tetlee

Tetlee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,838
    Might have been tempted if the albums had been the "experience" versions with the previously unreleased material, but they are just the standard releases so don't offer great value for money and I already have most of the albums anyway.

Can't understand why they didn't choose to release the experience albums as the box set, a set that large will surely only appeal to true fans, and I can't see many true fans not already owning at least half the albums, so fail to see who the boxset is aimed at.
  14. Roy4253

Roy4253 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I suppose the chances of the Blu-rays being released separately is non-existent? I suspect that if the Japanese economy wasn't flatlining it might have been a possibility.......
  15. KoThreads

KoThreads Active Member

Ratings:
    +127
    My DSOTM box turned up this morning. I know it was expensive but it looks very nice. Don't know if I'll get time to play any over the weekend though.
  16. unique

unique Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,255
    got any photos of it, and what are the full tracklistings of the extras? the outtakes in particular?
  17. KoThreads

KoThreads Active Member

Ratings:
    +127
    Music Direct - PINK FLOYD - DARK SIDE OF THE MOON: IMMERSION BOX SET (6CD)

That is the correct listings

DVD disc 4 says 101 mins
    CD disc 6 says 67 mins

I got it from Tesco and although i only got the despatched email yesterday the bag has 26/09/2011 stamped on the front and came by courier so i was surprised. Wasn't expecting it till Monday.

EDIT.

I'm a bit ****** off with how this has been slung in a big box. I have only just opened it and it just looks like it was thrown in. At the bottom are 4 discs pushed over 4 plastic circles, there is a green ribbon that i guess is there to hold the booklet on top of the discs. Mine was tucked down one edge and all 4 discs were loose under the book, luckily there not scratched. On top of the book the other two discs are in card sleves, Imersion envelopes, a pack of coasters, a pouch, 3 things in plastic and a rather nice DSOTM cloth pack (haven't looked properely) are just slung loose on top. It has a large foam sheet on top so nothings damaged but for £80 couldn't they have found a better way. Most of the box is air, could have been half as thick.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  18. unique

unique Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,255
    i read that it has DSOTM demos/alt versions. is that every track on the album in running order, a different version? or just some tracks?
  19. KoThreads

KoThreads Active Member

Ratings:
    +127
    Just double checked. That running order is identicle to the listing card on the back..
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  20. english_bob

english_bob Member

Ratings:
    +132
  21. Dony

Dony Active Member

Ratings:
    +3,041
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  22. HMHB

HMHB Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,327
    I think I'm probably the only Pink Floyd fan who's not a big fan of DSOTM. It's the least played of all my Floyd stuff.
  23. english_bob

english_bob Member

Ratings:
    +132

Wow, what utter bobbins. The most disappointing aspect of all of it is that none of the discs come in seperate cases / sleeves, and those that do are totally rubbish. They should of got the Japanese to do the sleeves.

No proper case for the Blu-ray either. :facepalm:
  24. nwgarratt

nwgarratt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,261
    That set looks awful for the money.

I am still interested in the vinyl versions even though I have numerous verisons of DSOTM and also 4 copies on vinyl already. I notice the Wall on vinyl is not until February next year. I am still listening to a copy I bought in 1990. It would be nice to have a decent new version of The Wall.
  25. english_bob

english_bob Member

Ratings:
    +132
  26. Tetlee

Tetlee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,838
    Really does look very poor value for money, so relieved I canceled my preordered with Tesco Direct.

The very minimum I would have hoped for would have been individual boxes for the discs so I could slide them within my collection for easy access, wouldn't want to be getting that box out and removing all the nonsense every time I want to listen:rolleyes:

Won't be bothering with any of the immersion box sets after watching that video, seems to be more aimed at obsessive collectors that keep everything locked away in the box rather than folks like myself that enjoy collectors set but like to actually use the box contents.
  27. nwgarratt

Ratings:
    +2,261
    I don't like that the individual CD releases are in what looks like just cardboard sleeves considering they cost up tp £10 each. I already have all the old CD and vinyls but still would like that complete Discovery boxset and the 3 remaster vinyls.

I hope these remasters are done nice and sound good.
  28. KoThreads

KoThreads Active Member

Ratings:
    +127
    Was supposed to be out today but felt rough so decided to play it. I didn't realise that everything I wanted was on the BR disc and the rest is repeated. I'm quite dissapointed. I have the DSOTM SACD and the quad version and on my setups i can't hear any difference, nor with the new DSOTM remaster, and I'm thinking the extra bits are not worth it at all.

With a discount i paid £75 even if you have only the original CD would I say it's worth that. With what I had allready I'm finding it tough to say it's worth half that.

Feel quite ripped off. I will think long and hard before jumping the gun with WYWH and The Wall.
  29. nwgarratt

Ratings:
    +2,261
    That is a shame. So are you saying that you couldn't hear a noticeable difference from the old CD with the original recording and the new remaster?

I still prefer to listen to DSOTM on vinyl rather than the 5.1 SACD.
  30. KoThreads

KoThreads Active Member

Ratings:
    +127
    Honestly......No.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1