1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

European / North American made AV Receivers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying, Setup & General Help' started by livefree, Dec 10, 2008.

1. livefree

livefree Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I don't mean to offend anyone by asking this question. I am looking to purchase HT system that is high end but not ultra high end. Preferably, I would like to get something that is not made in China. For speakers, there is lot of choice, but for electronics, it seems like most companies (NAD,ROTEL,ARCAM, MARANTZ, etc are made in China.

Could some suggest my choices? I am sure someone else also had similar criteria. Thanks in advance.
  2. Phlog

Phlog Member

Ratings:
    +173
    Yamaha appears to make its kit in Malaysia ...

I suspect you will have difficulties finding anything, other than "ultra high end", that is made in Europe or USA. Though you'd help if you posted your definition of ultra high end - I assume it's price based?

Of course, if you just want good hi fi stereo gear there's plenty of choice.

By the way, the last post I saw along similar lines got that OP an accusation of racism! Which is total twaddle of course.
  3. livefree

livefree Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Other may have their definition of ultra-high end. But mine is something over $10K just for processor and another $10 for amp. Like Macintosh, Brysten, etc. My budget is about $7K for speakers (B&W or Totem) and about 5-6 thousand for AV processor/receiver.

Looked at Rotel, Arcam, and Cabridge. All are "engineered" in UK but built using cheap labour somewhere else. They are not cheap either... just does not feel right spending all that money for something...

I am considerring B&K made in Bufflo NY or the new Lexicon RV-5 or Anthem. All these can blow my budget but I guess you have to pay the price if you want stand by some principle!!
  4. Phlog

Phlog Member

Ratings:
    +173
    I don't remember the exact pricing, but I thought Krell's home cinema line was within those limits. Plus companies like Bel Canto are producing powerful (class D) amplifiers for not a lot.

Chord (in the UK) also makes some multi-channel kit (but may be rather expensive in the USA?).

The problem with high-end kit is that it tends to be rather a long way behind the big manufacturers in terms of incorporating the latest technology.

Incidentally, it's possible you might get more relevant advice in US fora.