Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

eReading - Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" vs. Nexus 7

Discussion in 'Tablets' started by AMc, Nov 13, 2012.

1. AMc

AMc Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +517
    My partner is currently doing a lot of work away and she's burning through books. She's bored with carrying a couple of books each trip only to run out of reading material, so she fancies an e-Reader (less weight, more choice).

Having looked at the options - Amazon's Kindle, Fire and Fire HD it seems fairly clear that a multipurpose android tablet is more flexible and probably more useful (email and web browsing on hotel WiFi).

I've been using the Kindle app on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 which seems fit for purpose but the form is a bit clumbersome and I wouldn't want to wave it around on the tube or a busy train.

The Nexus seems to have a better IPS screen but the 8GB Samsung is a lot cheaper can take microSD cards so she could take some TV or films transcoded in the week at home too.

The review sites go on about video, games and web browsing but this would be for e-Reading as its main function.

Any recommendations for either as primarily an e-Reader with the rest as a bonus feature?

Cheers for any and all thoughts!:clap:
  2. AMc

AMc Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +517
    :laugh: 114 views and no comments later...:laugh:

Well John Lewis have the 32GB in stock with a 2 year guarantee so I've gone with that.

Now I need a good looking case - any recommendations for that?
    :)
  3. spyder viewer

spyder viewer Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +914
    If you don't get any response you can give your post a nudge but once a day max please!
  4. dandnsmith

dandnsmith Member

Ratings:
    +1
    My wife has found that the soft black case supplied with our Acer Aspire One is ideal - a bonus, since, having fitted a larger battery for increased 'life', the case no longer fits properly
  5. AMc

AMc Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +517
    I'll take a look thanks
  6. Boostrail

Boostrail Active Member

Ratings:
    +389

Does it? Correct me if I'm wrong but AFAIK the only tablet mentioned in this thread that has an IPS screen is the KFHD?
  7. AMc

AMc Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +517
    Which thread? I wasn't looking at the kfhd.
    This review mentions ips and other reviews at the same site mention the nexus has a higher res than the samsung.
    Google Nexus 7 | TechRadar
  8. AMc

AMc Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +517
    I was hoping for a real leather case with a physical catch/clash (so it doesn't open in a bag), a magnet for wake/sleep and a stand for media viewing.

Haven't found a decent case - perhaps they'll come out with more options soon?

In the mean time I've gone for a £7 cheapy from eBay to begin with as the birthday is approaching - laughing that the same cases are listed around £20 at etailers. There doesn't seem to be much choice :(
  9. AMc

AMc Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +517
    Well the cheapy arrived and the Nexus was unwrapped on Friday. She seems pleased, it's a lovely device but I'm surprised at how different the interface is compared with my Galaxy Tab running ICS.

The case was NEW GOOGLE NEXUS 7 WALLET LEATHER CASE COVER FREE STYLUS item 290812647570 from gadgetsntechs on the bay. It doesn't have a magnetic wake/sleep but its slim with plastic all around the tablet to protect the edges a reasonable feel for something so cheap £6).
  10. wongataa

wongataa Member

Ratings:
    +196
    I wouldn't be. Nexus devices are stock Android. Samsung adds their Touchwiz interface on the top of Android.
  11. nwgarratt

nwgarratt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,261
    The Samsungs are now on 4.1 Jelly Bean too.
  12. AMc

AMc Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +517
    Not my 2011 Galaxy tab 10.1 - at least not yet.
    If I could find the person who thought I needed a screen capture button on the bottom bar with back, home and switch apps I would give him a piece of my mind :)
  13. nwgarratt

Ratings:
    +2,261
    I can see the back, home and switch apps being useful.
  14. AMc

AMc Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +517
    Indeed, the inclusion of a screen capture button is the silly thing. Catch it by accident - everything stops while it takes a picture, then you have to cancel it. Who needs to take screenshots apart from developers and reviewers?
    Still having a built in Task Manager is useful - can't believe that isn't standard on the Nexus 7 - or perhaps I've missed it somewhere?
  15. nwgarratt

Ratings:
    +2,261
    I think I read somewhere that the screenshot button can be disabled in the settings.

Settings -> Display -> Quick launch.
  16. AMc

AMc Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +517
    You were right, thanks for that!