1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson TW3200/3600 owners thread - Part 3

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by pacemaker, Nov 22, 2011.

1. pigginbacon

pigginbacon Member

Ratings:
    +61
    I think I will try full power for a while. I'm beginning to wonder if it is my equipment that might be causing the problem.

Although I notice the flicker when connected to the PS3 and HTPC. It's also there when the devices are connected directly to the PJ and not through my amp.

I suppose I will just keep requesting a replacement until I get one that works properly if running on normal doesn't solve it.
  2. Brakhage

Brakhage Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

just got an Epson TW3200 two days ago and after playing around with some of the settings suggested in this thread, I'm extremely happy with the image it produces. However, I do have two (unrelated?) issues that bother me:

1. When loading a blu-ray disc (I have an Oppo BD83) I always see some strange colour flashes when the disc is going from the one menu to the other. It's nothing too disturbing, because mostly the discs play just fine, but I don't think it should do this. Also, sometimes it won't play the disc properly, but will give a completely distorted picture with a distorted aspect ratio and annoying coloured bars appearing on the screen. But usually when I turn the power on the blu-ray player off and try the same disc again, it runs without problems (except the colour flashes between menu's). Now I don't believe it is my Oppo that's causing the problems, as it has always worked just fine with my former projector, so maybe the problem is with the HDMI cable? I used the same cable I always used and it has always worked fine, but perhaps I need to buy a different (better/more expensive) HDMI cable? I actually bought one yesterday but it didn't give a signal at all in both HDMI projector outputs, but it did work when I used it to hook up my computer with it, so the cable does seem to work but why it won't work to connect the Epson is beyond me.

2. Yesterday I repeatedly encountered the same error when trying to power on the Epson:

"Error in auto iris.
    Power off and contact your nearest Epson service center".

After turning off and disconnecting the power completely it would power on without a problem, but it does seems kind of strange. I read something on the net of people comparing this problem with a paper jam on a printer, but that doesn't really help me any. Now, I'm still able to return the Epson and get a new one, but I don't want to do this unless it's completely necessary as it is such a hassle. But do people here think this is advisable or can I fix the problem myself? Could these two problems perhaps be related or are they just coincidence? I'm really not too big on these technical issues, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
  3. ccsjnw

ccsjnw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I wondered if any one had experienced connecting up a laptop with HDMI output to an Epson TW 3200?

Connection via a VGA (D-Sub 15) port can be a a little hit and miss depending on what resolutions are offered by the laptop via the external display. I've already got a laptop that supports 1280 by 768, but not 1280 by 720, and always looks a little squished. So I'm keen to go the HDMI route.

Ebuyer have on offer a Fujitsu AH530 (£299) with built Intel HD video which supports 1920 by 1200 pixels externally via HDMI. This is a 16x10 mode, which seems popular on laptops. I'm expecting I can also drive this at 1920 by 1080 via HDMI too, but can't find anything that states this.

I'm also assuming that audio (ie Dolby Digitial) will also be output via the HDMI port - or are HDMI ports on laptops limited to video only - again, I can't find anything in the specs that state this one way or another?

Has anyone had any success or otherwise, with this or anothe low cost laptop?
  4. Ewan154

Ewan154 Member

Ratings:
    +68
    I have a very small problem with the projected image. It's perfect at the top and the sides, but the bottom left hand corner is out by a mm.

Could this be cuased by the PJ being a mm out of the sides?

When film are in 2.35:1 the image is perfect.
  5. Breeze

Breeze Member

Ratings:
    +0
    RE. Calibration:

I'm about to buy my first PJ and have decided on the TW3200 after research and reading this excellent forum.

I can't see the point of spending that much cash as a first-timer and NOT having it calibrated - I'd hate to think I wasn't getting the optimum experience for my money.

However, I do have a question about calibration - does it rely on me also having the very best quality HDMI leads, the very best screen available etc? Surely the best calibration readings rely on the best equipment attached to the PJ too? Or can my PJ be professionally calibrated to these high standards even if I am just projecting onto a white wall in a living room with usual ambient light etc?

Hope that makes sense - first post and know NOTHING about this subject other than my TV is bust and I've decided to try a PJ.
  6. Steve Withers

Steve Withers Assistant Editor

Ratings:
    +1,584
    When it comes to projectors, the screen and the room environment are a vital part of the overall image, so if you're thinking of buying a projector I would definitely recommend getting a proper screen. It doesn't have to be expensive but anything is better than projecting on to your wall. I'd try and keep the ambient light to a minimum but the TW3200 is quite bright so it is well suited to a room with some ambient light. However a professional calibrator will work with the available conditions to deliver the most accurate image possible.

As far as equipment goes, you can get stunning performance out of even the cheapest Blu-ray players when watching 1080p24 Blu-rays and don't worry about HDMI cables, it's a digital signal so a cheap one will work just as well as an expensive one.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  7. Todd Tomorrow

Todd Tomorrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,260
    I project onto a matt white wall. I had a 16:9 screen, but didn't find the image sufficiently improved to keep it.
  8. Steve Withers

Steve Withers Assistant Editor

Ratings:
    +1,584
    You can use a wall and zinc oxide white paint but the trick is making sure it is completely flat and smooth, so hanging up a screen seems easier.
  9. Todd Tomorrow

Todd Tomorrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,260

My wall is flat and some tiny irregularities don't show up when I project on it. The screen however developed a ridge in the middle and started to curl in on the sides, which was noticeable. A screen that would make noticeable improvements to my environment is simply too expensive, so I'll stick with my wall. After having tried both in my non-dedicated room, I just don't agree that any screen is better than a flat white wall.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  10. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules Active Member

Ratings:
    +360
    You're going to love the big screen action you get from a projector!

+1 to what Steve has said. Room environment does make a difference with projectors so it's best if you can use as dark colours as possible. But, yes, the 3200 is a bright projector so will be better able to cope with a lighter decor than many other projectors. As Steve has said, it's best to use a proper screen. Beamax do some graded screens at special discount prices. If you Google them you'll find them and possibly get a real bargain.

11. Breeze

Breeze Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your input. It's been 10 years since I bought any kit, so PJ, blu-ray, AV receiver, speakers etc are all on the list, but good to hear the thoughts on cables and screen.

In the interests of saving cash, I'll start with the flat white wall and see what the results are, but on my original point, I think professional calibration has to be worth the spend. The room it's going in has an atrium-like section with skylights on the floor above, so is never going to be totally dark, nothing I can do about that, hence choosing this model for its brightness.
  12. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,819
    Get a proper screen for the job a Draper React II will be ideal for your situation it will cost about £1500 for a 100" screen but well worth it to get an excellent picture with your type of room.
  13. pigginbacon

pigginbacon Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Well I've tried full power, changed HDMI cable and used a new digi box but I am still getting the flicker problem.

I have tried taking a video of it but it is so slight the camera doesn't pick it up.

Can anyone suggest anything else I can try?

Edit:

I managed to get catch the flicker a little in a video. You can just about see it at 28 seconds:

VIDEO0034 - YouTube
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  14. Mottok

Mottok Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi - only had my TW3200 for a week and never had a projector before so not sure what to expect but the only thing I want to query is pixelation/noise. There is pixelation especially around faces and sometimes I see it across the entire picture like a faint film of noise or something then other scenes seem fine. I see more pixelation on dvd's but i do see the noise across the entire picture on blueray too. Is this normal? I've just played with the sharpness, gamma etc and it has improved quite a bit actually but it would be very useful to get some opinions, many thanks.
  15. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,819
    At what distance and screen size are you seeing this pixelation. How is the projector connected to the bluray player (hdmi?) and what length is the cable.

Can you take a picture and post what you are seeing as it does not sound normal.
  16. Mottok

Mottok Member

Ratings:
    +6
    hi - sorry should have put more info. It is connected to a PS3 with a 10 meter hdmi cable from just under 4 meters. I am using full picture shift and zoomed about quarter of the full capacity, the size is about 100". Many thanks. I will try and get a pic up in the next few days. Also this is directly on to a wall, no screen.
  17. Mottok

Mottok Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi - after playing with the settings etc i dont think i have a problem. The blueray is superb and the 'noise' i feel is meant to be there in some of the scenes (slum dog millionaire). I think i was just put off by the inferior quality of dvd and dont know if the ps3 upscales or not.
  18. mcspongy

mcspongy Member

Ratings:
    +102
    Good news. PS3 does upscale (below thanks to Rottenfox as I've copied from his post elsewhere):

Settings > Display Settings > Video Output Settings ----set this to HDMI - 1080p/1080i/720p.
    then set the tv type...16:9
    make sure you save these settings..on the ps3.

Settings > Video Settings - BS/DVD scaling ---- set to Normal.

But I think most modern pj's perform best with native HD material.
  19. Mottok

Mottok Member

Ratings:
    +6
    thanks mate, i'll check this out. I think i just didn't realise that dvd's on the big screen are so far behind blue ray also i'm watching from not far away so have to zoom quite a bit. Thanks again
  20. luna_s

luna_s Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got any tips / settings for Linux xbmc with a Nvidia gt520 and a Pentium g620t ? The scrolling fonts look blurry etc.
  21. ZeroOneTwo

ZeroOneTwo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a way to set the iris in increments on the TW3200, or is it just cinema, living room or dynamic? I'm looking to buy this projector, so I'm wondering.
  22. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Member

Ratings:
    +6
    does anyone play games on this projector? how does it cope with lag etc... how does it compare with normal lcd/plasma tv's
  23. ZeroOneTwo

ZeroOneTwo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've read the lag on the TW3200 is unnoticeable, 20ms or so. I'm not sure what's a normal lcd or plasma tv, some tvs, especially LCDs, have high lag. 20ms would be excellent for an LCD, and pretty good for a plasma. It's definitely an option for hardcore gamers.

The new series of Epson projectors (TW5900/6000) have around a 100ms lag, which is pretty bad.
  24. Mottok

Mottok Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi - yes I use this pj for gaming and i don't notice any lag. I'm pretty critical when it comes to stuff like this (performance etc) but gaming on this pj is a pleasure.
  25. Hovisbap

Hovisbap Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm on the verge of pushing the button on my first projector (tw3200) but before I do I've a couple of questions regarding the lens shift. Because of the vaulted ceilings in my house I am planning to mount the projector 5.8m from the screen with the center of the lens 0.6m above the top edge of the screen and offset 0.8m to the right. The screen is 2.1m wide. My question is, are these offsets within the parameters of the lens shift?

Sorry if this has been answered before.

Steve
  26. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,819
    The 3200 has loads of lens shift so you will be easy on.
  27. MKRR

MKRR Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Folks, I am a complete newbie to the world of projectors and quality home cinema, but have been very impressed by this forum. I've trawled through for hours, but couldnt find an answer to my (very basic?) doubts.

Reason I'm posting it here is because I'm very close to deciding that a TW3200 is what I want for my first projector. Please do excuse if me if my knowledge or questions are too basic, and be a bit gentle on me.

I have a Sky+HD box and a old Panny home-cinema system connected in the room I want to have a bedroom home cinema setup. Ideally I was thinking of getting a LED TV (Samsung 46D5520?) which is DLNA-enabled (so hooked up on wireless Internet) up for the regular TV viewing (kids and the mrs), and then a TW3200 at the foot of the bed on an ottoman and a pull-down screen for the special movie/HD experiences. No gaming, and I'm not a fan of 3D as such.

Question is: if I have the Sky+HD, DVD home cinema and Internet/Intranet all connected to the LED TV, can I just have the TV connected in some way to the Projector only so that I can use the projector only when I need the big screen experience? Idea is that I hide all the cables behind the TV/media unit and have just ONE cable to the projector. How can this be best done? Does this compromise on the output quality of the TW3200, rather than having all of it directly connected to the projector? Is an AV receiver (with 2 outputs) a must or is the direct TV to TV3200 connection an option?

Would be very grateful for your advice.

Thanks a ton in advance
  28. mcspongy

mcspongy Member

Ratings:
    +102
    You are unlikely to have a HDMI output on the TV (don't think may do have) so you could not pass a signal from TV to pj. As you say you will need an amp/receiver for sound for the pj in any case - if it has one HDMI output you could use a splitter to feed HDMI to both TV and pj (some people say Sky HD is somewhat unreliable with a splitter, but I think it depends more on the quality of the splitter); receivers with 2 outputs tend to be non-entry level (i.e not the very cheapest models), but you could pick up a bargain 2nd hand off the classifieds, e.g I saw a Denon 2310 on there the other day, which has 2 HDMI outs.

I have contemplated using the 2nd HDMI out on my Yammy receiver for feeding Sky HD to a second room, but although it can carry the vide and audio (to another amp in the second room) it can only get the audio from a HDMI input, which for Sky HD means stereo only (at least for the boxes with hard drives)...

Shouldn't be any reduction in pic quality when connecting the source to receiver then to tv/pj.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  29. mcspongy

mcspongy Member

Ratings:
    +102
    Actually realised the denon 2310 only has 1 hdmi output. I was getting mixed up with the pio vsxlx52 which I also looked at when I got the Yamaha amp. Sorry!

Having handshake problems between the tw3200 and rxv2065 at the mo....
  30. johnts

johnts Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

had a chance to go through the 1set and 3rd set on the owners thread series. Its more than a couple of years since the first of these projectors were snapped up .. Are they still the best on the block after 2 years in the price range ? Was hoping to go for this model myself as my first projector.

Thanks & regards,
    John