Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson TW3200/3600 owners thread - Part 3

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by pacemaker, Nov 22, 2011.

1. pacemaker

pacemaker Member

Ratings:
    +17
    (MOD COMMENT : Hi. Please use this thread as a continuation of part two which can be found here....Part 2)

re my flickering fault:

4 hours in 'normal' mode seems to have cured it. time will tell if it lasts, if not its on to epson for a new bulb/unit

Wolvers how did you get on?
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2011
  2. wolvers

wolvers Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,114
    The engineer turned up with a replacement unit, but after discussing the issue with him he just changed the bulb which he was able to do in situ. I have to say I was happier with that outcome, If the fault is still there at least I know it was definitely the unit. So far it's been fine, although it's only been on for a total of about 4 hours.
  3. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,961
    I wonder if changing the bulb means your one off replacement during the 3 yr g/tee period has now been used or not.
  4. tonytof

tonytof Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    1st time poster, please be gentle ;)

I've recently got my TW3200 and currently have my Sony BDPS350 BD player attached. When playing back blu-rays the image is stunning and am well pleased with everything

But when I put a standard DVD movie in the BD player (and also when just on the BD players menu system) every 20 or so seconds it glitches as it appears to start trying to display a blank grey screen (most noticable in the bottom half of the screen) momentarily.

As a test I've tried my HTPC (XBMC) playing standard dvds and this effect doesn't happen, so appears to be a problem with the BD player? Have also tried changing the signal settings on the BD and projector and that hasn't helped either.

Was wondering is anyone else had come across this problem please?

Can anyone recommend a BD player that they know plays back BD and DVD fine with a TW3200 (i'm in the UK) please?

Thanks
    Tony
  5. SimonG156

SimonG156 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I have the 350 and have had no such problems. Is it connected direct or through an amp?
  6. SimonG156

SimonG156 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    You could fix the output from the 350 to 1080p and see if you still get the issue.
  7. wolvers

wolvers Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,114
    Will they only do a replacement once? I thought someone here had theirs replaced a few times.
  8. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,961
    Well you are allowed 1 FOC bulb replacement during the 3 yr warranty,they can change the pj as often as needed though as the engineers seem to swap out faulty pj's rather than take them back for repair.

So as your bulb was replaced for being faulty I was just wondering if that counted as THE foc replacement or not.I guess we won't know till if and when your bulb actually dies.
  9. tonytof

tonytof Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It's connected direct, hdmi.

Have tried the 350 set to Auto and 1080p and same thing happens. When at the BD menus it sometimes stabilises until I play a DVD but other times it glitche's every few seconds. Tried some more settings combinations but to no avail.

So last night I tried my RDR-HXD995 (freeview + dvd) attached via HDMI, using the same settings as the 350, and that works fine, so definitely looks like a fault with the 350? Though as yours is ok, looks like my 350 is faulty.

I'll have to bite the bullet and get a new unit, not sure which to get though

Thanks
    Tony
  10. tonytof

tonytof Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The weird thing is that until I put that 1st DVD in the 350 (it had never had one put in before as far as I can remember) the menu screens didn't have this flicker

Am going to try the 350 on a TV later
  11. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,961
    Have you tried various dvd's or just one,is it a home made dvd or a pukka original and is it a region 2 disc.
  12. tonytof

tonytof Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Tried a few different DVD's, the one I'm using for testing at the moment is a region 2 ghostbusters orginal pukka disc
  13. tonytof

tonytof Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Just plugged the 350 into a TV and menus and dvd playback seem rock solid

Really not sure what the problem might be given other devices don't have th e same problem plugged into the epson

Will try a different hdmi cable just in case
  14. wolvers

wolvers Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,114
    They said to me that they are good for 4500-5000 hours in Eco mode so I would assume it's a warranty change as opposed to a FOC bulb change for it dying after loads of hours. Mine had done 1400. I would argue that anyway! :p
  15. Beard of Steel

Beard of Steel Active Member

Ratings:
    +290
    If you remember I had the same problem as you with the flickering. I had it not long into the bulbs life, maybe 100-200 hours and ran it in normal for about 10 hours I think and that solved the problem.
    This problem returned after about 1500 hours so I ran it in normal mode for about 20 hours and it went away again.
    Its now been in eco mode for about 40 hours with no problems so far *touches everthing wooden*, if not I may need to go down your route.
  16. tonytof

tonytof Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I connected the BD player to HDMI2 last night, and it was working fine, very odd.

Will have to see how it goes, and perhaps pick up a new hdmi cable and try it back on hdmi1

Thanks
    Tony
  17. tonytof

tonytof Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Am now wondering, as i have a grey screen, if what i'm really seeing is the bulb flicker mentioned in other posts!

Does the display go off completely or do you lose, say, about 1/2 the image as the flicker is so fast please?

Thanks
    Tony
  18. wolvers

wolvers Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,114
    No, the output level of the bulb dips slightly but it doesn't cut out completely. Sounds like you're having HDMI handshake issues.
  19. tonytof

tonytof Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, many thanks
  20. technomong

technomong Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Well, the TGW3200 arrived today. Prompt service from Epson.

It's bloody gorgeous. This is my third PJ: a Panny ax100, the Epson TW1000, and now this. Even though we've been without one for a while, it's clear from the start that the quality is another step up. Lovely punchy picture, in cinema mode. Haven't played with the settings yet, straight out of the box it looks very nice.

Happy man.
  21. SimonG156

SimonG156 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I was looking at the talk about nd2 filters in the previous thread as a solution to black levels. One silly question. How does a neutral density filter differ from turning down the brightness?
  22. Ewan154

Ewan154 Member

Ratings:
    +68
  23. Showman

Showman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, I am about to commit to buying a TW3200, and have specifically chosen this machine - apart from the good reviews here - because it can cope with the 5M + throw to an 80 inch screen. (according to the calculators I've seen) This is just within it's limits, but will put it physically very close - about 1 inch away - from a wall through wich it will be projecting. will this be enough room for the front air exhaust to work properly?, as I can't make another hole to solve this more directly.
    The other question is simply; before I finally commit to buy, Who is offering the best price for a 3200 at the mo.?
    Thanks in advance!:)
  24. SimonG156

SimonG156 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    The service I got from Projector Point was excellent. The pricing is very competitive.
  25. Ewan154

Ewan154 Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Hi,
    Sometimes when watching sd telly programs I get a fuzzy.broken up line on the top bar and the bottom bar. Any suggestions?
  26. Showman

Showman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Simon, thanks for the reply.
    Yes I've been impressed with Projectorpoint's service and pricing from what I've read here too. The only other place I've seriously considered is Epson UK, and I see they have warranties of 3 and 2 years for the lamp and pj respectively. I may have imagined it, but did I see somewhere that they (Epson) were offering 3yrs on both? or was that just some limited time offer?
  27. wolvers

wolvers Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,114
    Yeah, I get that. I think it's only on upscaled SD programmes from the SkyHD box. Never does it on proper HD content.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  28. Showman

Showman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Think I've solved the mystery of the 2 or 3 yr warranty on the 3200 pj. I see 3 years (lamp AND pj) is offered on Projectorpoint's site, so with Their offer of an HDMI cable thrown - in, My decision is now more filmly with Them. I'll order it tomorrow, and when I get it, will of course, be posting My views and installation details here - I only hope I've got My throw calculations right!!
  29. lantis

lantis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys.
    is there anyone who is using the epson tw3200 with a med8ter media player?
    i'd like to know if you calibrated them.
    if you don't have the mede8ter, do you know where i can find some calibrations (already done, not pattern test) of the epson??
    i dont have a colour meter :rolleyes:
  30. Campsie

Campsie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My tuppence worth for those considering, don't hesitate!

Admittedly I am new to all this home cinema malarkey so others may look at with a keener eye and ear, but I took the plunge and set up with Onkyo 609 amp, Q Acoustic 2000 speakers, Sony BDPS580 BD player. Best £2K I have spent - loving it:D

Even the mother in law, with all those withering looks and comments whilst wiring up, has admitted that all is forgiven having watched that bl00dy dancing show of a Saturday evening on it!

Kids have sat slack jawed and a variety of adults have got lost in the opening scenes of Cars on BD. DVDs are surprisingly sharp although SD tv is rubbish (Virgin), needs to be HD if watching something worth watching on it. But the HD / BD stuff is incredible.

I have mine just projecting on to the wall (painted white) as funds depleted - positioned just over 5m from wall it fills the full opposite wall of 3.35 metres without a problem. I guess I would need to see it with a screen to appreciate the difference, but I just can't imagine how much better it could get?!

Anyway, everyone who has come to see it has pretty much gone away to measure up their houses to see if they can fit one in.

Go buy!