1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson TW-5900/6000/6000W Owners thread

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by simontodd, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RevTurk

RevTurk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What does that even mean? Is Nvidia using some sort of strange method of doing 3D that is different from standard generic 3D in bluerays and TV broadcasts?

I can't even play bluerays as windows 7 just doesn't see the projector as something capable of displaying 3D.

Are Nvidia basically saying it would be impossible for an Epson projector to display a 3D image via one of their cards because they've got some weird way of doing 3D that isn't standard?

I've contacted Epson about it and there's little they can do if the signal coming into the projector isn't right. I've asked them if they are doing anything to get their projectors on Nvidias compatibly list but from the reply you got it sounds impossible???
  2. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,727
    I use an ATI card in my HTPC using TMT5 as the playing software and it plays perfect 3D and bitstreams DTS HD Master Audio on my 6000, infact any pj I hook it up to
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  3. RevTurk

RevTurk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was always an ATI man, this was my first time buying an Nvidia card. :mad:
  4. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403 Member

Ratings:
    +70

Which ATI card are you using...and what spec pc ??
  5. steve.moore

steve.moore Member

Ratings:
    +2
    review
    OK, a few weeks ago I finally took the plunge and purchased the TW5900 from projectorpoint and I agree with others on this site that their customer service is great. They swapped out a replacement unit when the first unit had a loud clicking, when flipping between dark and light scenes, this was a worrying distraction. I guess I was just unlucky.. I've placed my new projector above my head so it is about 4ft from my ear. So, I was happy when the new machine was super quiet (not as quiet as my old Panasonic AX200 bought in 1998, so if Epson's are reading this then they have one minor issue that can be improved). I have watched more than 10 films without noticing any noise issues. The fan is whisper quiet and it is difficult to find a quiet film scene where the dynamic iris is noticeably louder than the fan!

The 2D picture really does pop, it produces a very bright picture and it is a massive improvement on my old 720p projector. The blacks are darker, the picture much sharper. Even in Cinema mode the colours are more vibrant than our Sony TV, brighter reds for example. I do need to do a little research in this area and tweak the configuration, to find out what setting are best for watching films. We do not have a dark room, our walls are white, so it is impressive how much light is coming from this projector. The blub is bright enough to produce a watchable picture even in the daytime and with open curtains (although not recommended).

It is a great machine for around £1000 and does tick all our requirements for a family home cinema, with the added bonus that with Christmas not far away my son will be able to buy some 3D games and glasses. Occasionally my son has played 2D MW3 on the TW5900 and he say it feels more realistic and he has not complained about any time lag. He claims it's a massive improvement when compare to playing on 32” TV!

So, in my opinion is this projector has no real faults with a bonus of 3D, it really is a great product plus my wife is happy with the upgrade.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  6. jaxter

jaxter Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Hi m8 sorry you cant get 3D Blu ray going through the pc is must be very fustrating.
    I am playing all my 3D Blu Ray through pc with the latest powerdvd the card im usingis 460gtx and ive had no issues whatsoever im also running windows 7 64 bit sp1.
    As for 3DTV play as stated by Nvidia there is no support for this i have 3d vision glasses and the emitter but when trying to set up stereoscopic 3D through the nvidia control panel its a no go :(
  7. witchdrash

witchdrash Member

Ratings:
    +70
    Nvidia cards are hdmi 1.3 so have issues outputting the normal 3D images, there are apparently plants to firmward upgrade cards to support 1.4, but not yet.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  8. bartlebooth

bartlebooth Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone

I also recently acquired the TW 5900 and I am quite stunned by the quality of the product, especially in that range of prices .

I use different sources : PS3, 360 an a relatively recent ASUS "portable 4 gamer" with a GTX 460 M and an average i7 (not a sandy bridge) via HDMI cables ( I am quite sure they are only 1.3)

The "2D" movies and games are really a bless , except maybe I suspect the epson to use some internal process to downscale anything wich is not in 1080p native, especially using the ps3 and the 360 (some "burned" white in some areas)
    No input lag felt of any sort in games and it's an old shmup and 2D fighting "to the frame obsessed guy" who is telling you this.
    I feel like the image could be a little more precise too, especially when we talk about 1080 p native but in the whole I have really good results, beautiful contrasts and a bright beautiful image.
    I just resent myself a little bit not to have purchased the 6000, regarding the glasses price and the added contrast and lumens for a few bucks more.

Some good advices regarding the settings would be more than welcomed, my epson is "sitting" on a chair facing a white wall (not using a special painting "anti reflect" color) at a 2-3 meters distance, I usually put the contrast on 9 , brightness to 2 and switch between 6500, 7000 and 7500 k color temperature depending on the source, precision setting maxxed at 5 (not in advanced)

Regarding 3D, the results differ obviously between the quality of 3D implementation, from "omfg I am in another world" in movies (Avatar mkv version ... don't ask ...) and games ( GT5, Shadow of the colossus, Uncharted 3) to not so good (some non native 3D movies and bad 3D implemented games with a hell lot of ghosting)
    I had the same problem than some of you playing 3D bluerays on the ps3 but I reset my PS3 video settings and it was good to go.

I am using panasonic glasses and btw I was wondering if the EPSON glasses were working in a better way and if the ghosting disappeared completely, as I got to encounter some in a lot of different situation (though uncharted 3 for instance is quasi completely "ghosting free").
    Are the EPSON glasses bigger than the limited area of vision frequently encountered with "old gen" active glasses like the panasonic (I wear "real" glasses myself) ?

Regarding the nvidia issue concerning 3D I couldn't get Nvidia 3D TV to work with the EPSON (the 3D nvision can't work, I neither have the nvidia transmitter nor the glasses), although I had no problems to launch some 3D mkv via VLC and playing Crysis 2 and Sonic Generations in 3D on PC (the stereoscopic option is genuinely implemented in those 2 games, other games need nvidia 3D nvision or 3D TV to run on 3D)

I had to do a little manipulation though, also needed when I play Gears of War 3 on the 360 : even if my EPSON 3D setting is set on auto I had to manually switch the image to "side by side"

On the nvidia page regarding compatibility with video projectors the TW 5900 is not mentioned but I suspect it is only because it's brand new, I see no reasons why at least nvidia 3D TV software wouldn't work with it .

I have some hints though :

- I am using HDMI 1.3 very probably, I have to try with 1.4

- a lot of people having the same issue as I (and maybe some of you) had during the nvidia 3D TV "wizard assistant setup" procedure seems to be caused by the fact that we can't set the EPSON to run in 1080p 120hz manually (people having some TVs where you can set it manually seem to end the problem).
    The epson has to identify a 3D source to switch and if it is not set in 120hz at least, the 3D TV setup procedure can't finish.

Maybe the use of HDMI 1.4 will change that and if not, well ... it's possible that the 5900 can't be supported neither by 3D nvsion nor 3D TV nvidia ...

So weird especially when you look at the HD33 optoma that doesn't seem far different from the TW 5900 regarding 3D capacities (btw is the optoma really better in 3D, it is supposed to be so ?)

I am really happy with it though some help would be more than welcomed regarding image settings and nvidia 3D TV

Thanks in advance and sorry for the bad english (I am french ..)
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  9. Northwich Mitch

Northwich Mitch Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've just been to the Trafford centre and I've gotta say I wasn't that impressed with the epson home cinema demo they ran.

I wanted to see it in full swing with some decent movie clips to wow us but instead I saw some slo-mo footballers messing with a football.

The other thing is the size. Bloody hell it's huge!

So for me I need some convincing And reassuring that a princely fee for such an item is worth it.
  10. potshot

potshot Member

Ratings:
    +118
    Does anybody know if the epson 6000W uses IR or RF glasses. I am hoping its RF because its more reliable than the IR.
  11. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +973
    IR. IR can be just as good as rf if implemented properly, and we have not experienced any drop outs on our Epson with both the Epson & XpanD glasses;)
  12. potshot

potshot Member

Ratings:
    +118
    On the plus side the xpand being IR with no need to buy the RF module at an extra cost.

If the projector is behind you how does the signal get from the projector to the glasses. I have seen there is an external IR emitted epson sell, how does that work.
  13. cmarinelli

cmarinelli Member

Ratings:
    +31
    The same as the visible light gets to you. It simply bounces of the projection screen or wall and hits the glasses. There is a large array of IR LED's around the circumference of the lens so you should be fine unless you have a really large room.
  14. potshot

potshot Member

Ratings:
    +118
    But you normally have to have a clear direct route for IR like on the sky box, if anything gets in the way the signal is blocked from the remote to the sky box and I thought that has been the problem with IR blocking the signal will cause the glasses to lose sync and the reason why other manufactures have moved over to RF and bluetooth. I have not heard of IR bouncing off the walls, ect before.
  15. cmarinelli

cmarinelli Member

Ratings:
    +31
    IR bounces quite happily off walls. Sky's box is rubbish for IR reception IMHO, however the majority of devices will see IR transmissions. Try changing the volume of your TV by pointing the remote at the wall opposite. IR is light at a wavelength the human eye cannot detect, but it still reflects. One of the common causes for IR glasses losing synch is due to interference from other light sources. Typically low energy bulbs cause this. RF introduces its own problems due to other devices operating on the same or nearby frequencies. Bluetooth has high power consumptions, so they all have pros and cons.
  16. simontodd

simontodd Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Think about the subject matter Infra Red Light. The projector bulb puts the visible spectum onto the screen. The IR transmitter puts IR on the screen. If your glasses are on your head and you are looking at the screen, what could be in their way? The only issue is the distance of the seating from the screen. I am 18ft from the screen and it works just fine.
    There are of course bluetooth and RF systems, they all do the same thing but in slightly different ways. I would suggest that for most users, the IR system is just fine. If you are the beckhams and have a large cinema style room that is 30ft from the screen, RF would be better.
    From my understanding, "some" of the new projectors will be RF.

For 90% of people, this is an issue that will never arise. (I'm still trying to think what could be between your eyes and the screen that would stop IR working)
    My wife just shouted out supersize popcorn.........I don't think she's taking the forum seriously..

Hope that helps
    Simon
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  17. IanD

IanD Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I have the 6000W and find no problems with the IR glasses. In fact the other day I came out of my theatre room to talk to my wife in the lounge and when I looked at the windows I could then make out the glasses switching from lens to lens and this carried on for the whole 5 minute conversation with my wife. This means that the IR signal is powerfull enough to go around two 90 degree corners.
  18. potshot

potshot Member

Ratings:
    +118
    Ok guys that sounds like the IR is pretty good and takes away my concerns about IR.

IanD

How do you find the picture on the 6000W in 2D and 3D I think we have only had feed back on the 5900 so far so a report on the 6000W would be great. If you are epson glasses how do you the eye strain and head ache problems active shutter glasses cause. I read the xpand glasses do not cause the eye strain head ache problem.
  19. johny1980

johny1980 Member

Ratings:
    +94
    A bit late because i have 'blindly' ordered one but im interested in the 6000w to.

Can we change the thread title to include 6000 & 6000W to maybe attract some more peeps and useful info
  20. RcBlob

RcBlob Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I had this problem too. It only seems to happen when I set the manual 3d modes (side by side/top bottom). I was using a virtual-boy emulator to play virtual-boy games on the projector. I think it may have been one of the most epic things I've ever done :D

Also, concerning the lag some people have mentioned. It's definitely there BUT you do get used to it. Please do not let this stop you from buying this great PJ.

On a side note, my projector is broken. It says something about auto-iris problem so I am getting it replaced.
  21. Zah

Zah Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have 5900 ? I had auto iris error too and sent it back . Anyone else had same problem ?.
  22. RevTurk

RevTurk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you running at the full refresh rate? As far as I can see the problem is windows (7 64bit ultimate) just won't accept I've anything other than a bog standard display plugged in and won't give the option to go above 60hz.

I started a thread on the Nvidia forum with the errors I'm getting.

I'd be tempted to sell off the Nvidia card and buy an ATI if that would work.
  23. simontodd

simontodd Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Good idea, I've changed it
    Cheers

Simon
  24. AES-SPAIN

AES-SPAIN Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just finishing my cine room and have a fixed ceiling position for the PJ, the lens will be 5.1m from and level with the top of the 106" screen (16:9).

Im thinking of getting the TW6000 and just wanted to be sure I wouldnt have any problem with the image position with this height and distance, especially as there is no way I can reposition the PJ due to cable position etc.

Cheers
  25. potshot

potshot Member

Ratings:
    +118
    I am going to get the TW3600W to do away with the cable problem.
  26. raysv

raysv Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I guess some of you have been playing and fideling with the TW6000 for some houers now and have started to get an opinion about it.

I have just bought a TW3200 and use it in my living room with white walls and ceiling but considering giving it back to the store and take a TW6000w instead.

Its almost twice the price, have any of you seen both of them and can say if its "worth" the upgrade or not? it probably going to be used as a 2D pj 90% of the time, but i think i would benefit from the extra birghtnes, or is it just too bright so the blacklevel goes down the drain?
  27. RcBlob

RcBlob Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I had the TW3200 and now I have the TW6000. The black levels on the TW6000 are slightly better, but I did/do not really notice the increased brightness. The 3D is a fun feature but not essential. Of course with the TW6000W you also get wireless HD.

One issue I had switching is that the TW6000 is a bit annoying to mount thanks to the complete lack of lens shift. It also has less zoom.

Basically, if you absolutely want 3D and wireless HD go for it. But IMHO, stick with the TW3200 for the next 1-2 years until the next-generation of Epson 3D PJs are out.
  28. johny1980

johny1980 Member

Ratings:
    +94
    I've ordered the wireless model but still have the issue of a power outlet close by.

It will be my first pj ceiling mounted.

I'm away into the loft tonight to see what's up there.

The pj will be going where there is a live light now.

Can the wiring from that be used to make a socket if there is not one close by in the loft?
  29. AES-SPAIN

AES-SPAIN Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, but you still need to run the power cable :)

I really just need to know if the TW6000 can be mounted from the ceiling more or less level with the top of the screen from around 5m away, I know it has no lens shift but has another feature which Im not sure does the same thing...

I just dont want to order it and then find out I will have issues due to where I place it :rolleyes:
  30. AES-SPAIN

AES-SPAIN Member

Ratings:
    +0
    lighting and power circuits should really be kept seperate....having said that, our spanish electrician has added an electric roller blind off our cine lighting :rolleyes:

im sure it would be ok for you to do it though
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.