Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson TW-5900/6000/6000W Owners thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by paulmcp2403, Jul 26, 2012.

1. illusion

illusion Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Some say it is. However mine came back from the retailer after a wireless issue was resolved and mine suddenly sounded like a small person with a spanner was trying to escape every time it moved. It went back to Epson and came back pretty much silent. You can hear it if you listen closely for it but never when there's any kind of audio playing.
  2. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,927
  3. x1nick

x1nick Member

Ratings:
    +47
    I have 5 sources and 3 (4 actually but my living room amp has two HDMI outputs for tv and projector) and would like 3D an EDID control Still investigating this all though

Watched my first film on the TW6000 tonight with a Duronic 92" electric screen, very impressed with the projector!
    Fan noise was a little annoying on the quieter scenes though and the smell of my new screen was almost unbearable!
  4. couto27

couto27 Member

Ratings:
    +88
    my epson went on warranty to repair due this subtitle bug, i check the same problem in another tw6000 and was doing the same thing, including in the expensive tw9000 model.

english natives dont need to worry because the only subtitles are the forced ones, like na´vi in avatar, but i will not stick with a malfunction projector just because others dont care, and epson is keeping very quiet in the corner not making any fuzz of it.

i hope my testimonial get help to someone.
  5. cmarinelli

cmarinelli Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Not sure how this relates to my comment. :-/
  6. illusion

illusion Member

Ratings:
    +18
    because he's continuing what he was talking about before you replied to him.
    He's seeing ghosting on the subtitles in movies and he found inverse sync was helping the issue.

couto27 are you watching 3D blurays or rips because I know subtitles can be very messed up on content thats been ripped depending on how much work people have done to convert the subtitles correctly but I've not noticed any subtitle issues on actual bluray discs. That said whenever I've had subtitles on I've not paid much attention to them since I didn't need to read them.
  7. drennan

drennan Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Watched Avengers Assemble last night on my 6000. Not seen a huge amount of 3D content so far, but noticed a lot of artifacting on the darker scenes, mainly on black portions of the image with a blue/purple hue noise. Is this a common issue with 3D or something I need to investigate further?

Any advice appreciated.
  8. couto27

couto27 Member

Ratings:
    +88
    the rips have more ghosting (micca ep950 or med1000x3d)

but the samsung bd-d5500 player or panasonic bdt-220 they also have their amount of subtitle ghosting.

its funny someone mention avengers 3d, because was one of the titles tested in fnac shop with epson tw9000 and tw6000, and the ghosting was visible by 3 different employes.
  9. pmwhelan

pmwhelan Member

Ratings:
    +41
    I got the 5900.

The fan noise is quite loud in 3D compared to 2D.

did anyone else notice that or is it just me?

thanks
  10. beecee

beecee Member

Ratings:
    +91
    not just you, as far as i'm aware it requires to be a brighter image and so the light output increases and therefore the fan noise increases also.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Member

Ratings:
    +9
    i found changing from 3d dynamic to 3d cinema dropped the fan a little bit. also check to see if the 3d brightness is at high
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  12. Rojasm

Rojasm Member

Ratings:
    +2
    When i set up my 5900,my sony blu ray player asked my screen size for 3d,so i put in 120" but this produced ghostimg and double vision on a lot of scenes,so i went back to the menus and reduced the screen size a bit,this had the instant effect of cleaning up the 3d on all the stuff i have watched since,so have gone from bad to great with somthing simple.i also think when it comes to 3d you need to try a lot of seating distances to find what works best.
  13. drennan

drennan Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the response. Haven't found anywhere in the Panasonic player that lets you select screen size. I had a bit of a play last night having read some similar issues people were having with their Optoma's. The sequence in which you switched on the equipment seemed to have an effect, and certainly when I turned the BD player off and back on again the effect seemed less. The other thing that reduced it was setting it to 3D cinema instead of dynamic. Definetely less noticable having done this.
  14. pmwhelan

pmwhelan Member

Ratings:
    +41
    Is the 3D auto detect working for people?

If I play a side-by-side or over under 3D file then I thought the 3d would kick in automatically but it doesnt.
    I have to go in and change Auto To Side By Side
  15. True Romance

True Romance Active Member

Ratings:
    +747
    It will not auto pick SBS,OAU signals so yes you have to change the settings each time :(
  16. illusion

illusion Member

Ratings:
    +18
    I *think* that it only works if the source device is 1.4 and sends the correct format flag. As far as I know it doesn't analyse the image to detect a SBS.
    In fact my 3D player only formats SBS correctly if the filename is correctly formated.
  17. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403 Member

Ratings:
    +72
    I have a similar sized screen and a sony blu ray player...what size did you reduce it to ???:thumbsup:
  18. Rojasm

Rojasm Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Only a bit! My screen is 120" and the player is set to 110",we have 4 pairs of glasses all epsons,and find that this setup now works very well,and are now building up a nice collection of 3d blurays.
  19. cmarinelli

cmarinelli Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Now that new new Epson's are moving over to RF technology, does anyone know if it will be possible to plug in an RF transmitter to the RJ45 "IR" extender port at the rear?
    I only ask this as it looks like the cost of IR glasses will go up as production decreases, whereas the cost of RF glasses should be going down in the longer term.
  20. couto27

couto27 Member

Ratings:
    +88
    The screen distance recommended for blu-ray 3d 1080p is :
    screen size (width) x 1.4 = seating distance

The screen distance recommended for blu-ray 2d 1080p is :
    screen size (width) x 1.54 = seating distance

The screen distance recommended for 720p 2d is
    screen size (width) x 2.7 = seating distance

also regarding the 3D some people are more sensible than others and they should should move a bit according to their preference.

also in the epson, theres a option to inverse the 3D glasses, that should correct the 3D according to the movie that has left eye or right first.

regards
  21. scottlwl

scottlwl Active Member

Ratings:
    +442
    Hi Guys

Projectorpoint have done it again, exceeded my expectation. Such an amazing retailer... best in the Country imho.

I have had 3 new 3200s that got dust blobs (and 4 refurbs as well with vaious quality problems). So with the latest 3200 that got a dust blob (with only 70+ hours on the lamp) I phoned PP to ask if I had any options, expecting them to say suck it up and deal with it... but they quickly came back with a replacement 5900 for my 3200. Amazing people. Let this hope this is the last of my problems.

I have always had the 680 then the 3200 on a shelf roughly 1.5 metres high and projected onto a screen whose bottom is around 1m high. Is this doable now? Or will I have to re think. I can raise the screen a wee bit, bit 1.5m feels like it might be too high.

So the question is does the 5900 project down a bit or is it totally level with the bottom of the lens?

Sorry if these are noobie questions... Need to start planning.

S

I have always had the
  22. beecee

beecee Member

Ratings:
    +91
    its level, to a point, between 4-7m throw distance its 1cm.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. scottlwl

scottlwl Active Member

Ratings:
    +442
    Ah OK. Thanks. I guess I am going to have to angle it down a little and use keystone until I can think of a better solution.

Thanks for the reply
  24. DickiePhitt

DickiePhitt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just fitted up new 5900 and very pleased with the quality of picture, however whenever I've put it into standby the blue light flashes for only a second or two before the fan stops and the unit enters standby.
    I had expected the fan to run on for quite a while - minutes maybe like on the old back projection TVs - so am concerned that lamp life may be being compromised if this is a fault.
    How long, typically, should the fan run in standby?
  25. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403 Member

Ratings:
    +72
    Seconds...dont worry ...perfectly normal:thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  26. scottlwl

scottlwl Active Member

Ratings:
    +442
    Can someone confirm which glasses work with the 5900?

I don't want to sound like a skin flint, but 70 for a pair of epson ones sounds a lot!! Are there alternatives. I read somewhere about some panasonic ones working... is this true?

S
  27. True Romance

True Romance Active Member

Ratings:
    +747
    All the info should be in this thread, lots of reading for you.
  28. scottlwl

scottlwl Active Member

Ratings:
    +442
    HA! Yeah I have been through now, proper lazy of me.... ah well

I notice a certain pair of PANNY ones work, is it just that one model or do the latest ones work with the 5900 too? What about those cheaper brand ones that claim to work with a PANNY TV? Will they work?

Trying to save money where ever I can...
  29. scottlwl

scottlwl Active Member

Ratings:
    +442
    I have now read ALL the posts in both threads and am completely up to speed with what glasses I need...

Going for a little sleep now... phewww
  30. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403 Member

Ratings:
    +72
    Scott also check out eBay....there you will get 3 pairs for the price of one...there's a Hong Kong firm selling 5 pairs for £118 !! Simply do a search for - epson 3d glasses lots of deals....and affordable.

Luckily I got the 3rd gen panny glasses and they are great...only 30 grams...but the newer 4th gen Bluetooth.ones don't work...
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012