1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson TW-5900/6000/6000W Owners thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by paulmcp2403, Jul 26, 2012.

1. iowaiter

iowaiter Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Giving the projector an angle but the screen being vertical will probably affect focus, the focus depth doesn´t seem to be very deep on these.
    I have similar mounting requirments, I would like mine 15cm closer to the roof when not using it and the a easy way to lower it. Note that the holes for mounting is quite far apart on these, according to the manual all four should be used ( there is a fifth but I didn´t dare use it an mount with three only) most mount however is only three legged and/or have to short arms. This could be a local demand supply issue and not a problem in your area.
  2. cmarinelli

cmarinelli Member

Ratings:
    +31
    As I'm sure you are aware, the 5900 doesn't have lens shift, so by tilting the PJ down, you will need to use digital keystone correction which should be avoided if it can.

Allan from Ideal-AV has some really flat mounts but I don't know if these would allow you to tilt the projector, but it might be worth asking.

The Epson ELPMB22 is around £150 on Amazon at the moment. I'm sure I paid less than £20 when I bought it. Not sure why there is such a variance in price.

You could go for a wall mount if the Epson throw calculator (on Epson website) suggests this will work for you. Perhaps this would also allow you to mount the PJ without tilt?
  3. pmwhelan

pmwhelan Member

Ratings:
    +40
  4. ProjectorPoint

ProjectorPoint Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +17
    That mount has a 13.5cm drop.

If that works then great else for a 9.1cm drop, with easy tilt and swivel, high quality and easy install do a search for a wm3-pjt-p mount
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. pmwhelan

pmwhelan Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks
    Do you know does that definitely fit the 5900?
  6. pmwhelan

pmwhelan Member

Ratings:
    +40
    And sorry what does "drop" refer to?
  7. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Member

Ratings:
    +9
    moved into my new house 2 weeks ago, bought a tw5900 to go in my cinema room i am so impressed with it. £900 seems like a steal.
    It didn't need much setting up to be honest. used DVE to do grayscale and colour and i didn't have to do too much.
    A very happy man I am:clap:
  8. ProjectorPoint

ProjectorPoint Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +17
    Hi pmwhelan - that mount I recommended is the lowest drop mount that I know of that definitely fits the 5900.

'Drop' is the distance from the plate that attaches to your ceiling down to the legs that attach to the projector. Without any drop you wouldn't be able to tilt the projector, as the projector would be fully flush to the ceiling. Hope that helps.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. pmwhelan

pmwhelan Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Whats DVE?
    thanks
  10. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,816
  11. couto27

couto27 Member

Ratings:
    +86
    can some of owners do a subtitles test with your projectors 5900/6000 during 3D content

in the menu theres a option to "INVERSE 3D GLASSES" that allows the glasses to receive more light reducing crosstalk images in 3D.
    in some particulary 3D movies doing this, improves a lot the quality of 3D but gives loads of ghosting /artefacts in subtitles.

for example in "A turtle's tale 3D" on 14,54m the scene with seahorses its impossible to watch unless, i "inverse the 3D glasses" but clearly the subtitles get loads of ghosting impossible to read.
    in the remote the option to "inverse 3D glasses" is by default the "user"

i already found some users in avsfroums.com with this particulary problem.

Movies with subtitle 3D ghosting
    " A turtle tale 3D"
    "Drive angry 3D"

Movies without 3D subtitle ghosting:
    -legends of guardians 3
    -Tim tim 3d
    -resident evil 3d
    -monster in paris 3d
    -underworld 3d
    -tt3d closer to the edge
    -hugo 3D
    -immortals 3d
    -despicable me 3d

ps: the subtitle ghosting is not continuos, there´s parts that are worse than others

thanks
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  12. cmarinelli

cmarinelli Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Inverse 3D glasses switches left and right images or rather, what your left eye sees with what the right eye sees and vice versa.
    Therefore something in the foreground gets pushed to the background and so on.
    It should only be used for images that are incorrectly formatted.
    It does not make any changes to light throughput.

From P.58 of the manual:
    "Reverses the synchronization timing for the left/
    right shutters on the 3D Glasses and the left/right
    images. Enable this function if the 3D effect is not
    displayed correctly."
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  13. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  14. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Member

Ratings:
    +9
    might have jumped the gun singing the praises of the PJ, sky sports is pretty much unwatchable.on sports news the rolling banner judders and watching any sport givesme headache due to the stuttering motion of the players.
    think its going back and getting swapped for something else unless this can be sorted.:(
  15. cmarinelli

cmarinelli Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Does it make a difference if you switch between 720p and 1080i on the Sky box?
  16. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Member

Ratings:
    +9
    i've sorted it, it was my fault:facepalm: i'd set scaling on my receiver, turned that off and its fine now. Back to loving the PJ again:laugh:
  17. The Fatty

The Fatty Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Am I right in thinking these models (along with the lack of len shift) also dont have the 'Epson cinema filter' built into them?
  18. Spee2k

Spee2k Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Hello guys,

Well I have a 60" Samsung plasma screen but I have been reading up on the Epson TW5900 and am starting to fantasize about cosy nights watching those movies on a 110" screen..haha.

Problem is lack of vertical/horizontal shift so placement is gonna be a biggie... I am renting so ceiling mounting is out of the question.

I am considering placing the project on a sideboard which is approx 80cm high . I have attached some pics below. the distance frm the sideboard to the prospective screen is about 12.6ft and viewing distance is about 12ft too..

So i guess my question is can i get away with the projector on the sideboard?

Attached Files:

19. couto27

couto27 Member

Ratings:
    +86
    get a small furniture behind sofa to place it.
    the pj has 40cm deep you will get about 2,00m screen not the best option.
    or
    get a optoma gt750 its a short throw projector you can put in coffee table in front sofa at 1,50m distance make 2,50cm screen.
  20. x1nick

x1nick Member

Ratings:
    +47
    My TW6000 arrived today and while I don't have a proper screen yet and just projecting onto a textured wall I am very impressed!

I have noticed that the auto iris makes a fairly noticeable noise, is this normal?

[​IMG]
  21. True Romance

True Romance Active Member

Ratings:
    +623

lol.....yes think most have turned the auto iris off, imo it made little if any difference to the picture anyway.
  22. x1nick

x1nick Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Ah I did turn it off, didn't notice any difference but not really giving it a fair chance with the surface I was projecting on

Off it goes!

Cheers
  23. Spee2k

Spee2k Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Hello mate, could you please take a pics of where you placed the projector?

cheers
  24. x1nick

x1nick Member

Ratings:
    +47
  25. Spee2k

Spee2k Member

Ratings:
    +13
  26. x1nick

x1nick Member

Ratings:
    +47
    If you look at the last few shots on this post
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/17583419-post33.html

Projector will probably be mounted on a ceiling mount around 1 foot towards where I am standing taking that last photo (all the ceiling paper is coming off and that pelmet thing is going!)
    Also plan on moving the light forward about 1 foot towards the wall (single mains cable goes to this light, and plenty of slack for doing so)
    Also will be having a light which is about 5" high so shouldnt get in the way of the projection

Top of screen will probably start roughly inline with the projector lens, so keystone shoudnt be too bad(I hope)

If not I best get saving for a TW9000 haha
  27. Spee2k

Spee2k Member

Ratings:
    +13
    so is ceiling mounting the only option? do you think i can get away with it on a 80cm high sideboard ?

I cant for the life of me fathom why the didnt include lens shift.. Bonkers!!!
  28. x1nick

x1nick Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Well the keystone works really well, only issue really with it is that its reducing the quality
    As mentioned previously mine was set on 19 for the above shots and on certain screens you could see the strips down the left and right where the digital keystone was clearly at work

How high do you plan on having the bottom of your screen?

Its so they could charge an extra grand for the next model! I got mine for £1152 and the TW9000 was going for £1785, just a little bit too much for me to be honest!
  29. Spee2k

Spee2k Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Well am hoping to have it al least 50cm off the ground. projector will be on a side board at least 12ft away and probably gonna be angled to hit the screen..

Not looking to spend more than £1000 to be honest as i just recently spent £1500 on a plasma 3d telly!! ohh the joys hey...
  30. x1nick

x1nick Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Haha I know the feeling, I now need to buy a new cat5 balun (£130) new hdmi matrix £350 does it ever end?

If the projector is 80cm and the screen is 50 then the keystone should be very minimal I would have thought