Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson TW-5900/6000/6000W Owners thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by paulmcp2403, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Member

Ratings:
    +9
    new house on tuesday with a dedicated room for the PJ, I'm gonna build a screen to start with, mdf painted. any tips on what colour to paint screen? room will be totaly blacked out
  2. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,924
    White Dulux Matt for a dedicated room with blackout conditions.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. pigginbacon

pigginbacon Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Is it just me or does anyone else not get the pop out effect with the 6000?

I watched Resident Evil: Afterlife which had loads of scenes that were obviously intended to pop out of the screen but never did when I watched it.
  4. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403 Member

Ratings:
    +72
    I thought that....but then I lowered my screen so my eyes were more level with it...much better...but I agree...not the strongest for 3d...but excellent 2d !
  5. shift4311

shift4311 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    There is nothing wrong with the pop out on this projector. Check your settings, get LG 3D Demo and view the Potato Cod. If you cant touch its nose from your sitting position, your pj has an issue.
  6. pigginbacon

pigginbacon Member

Ratings:
    +68
    I will try that demo and see if it works.

Maybe it is my seating position? I sit about 3 metres from the screen and the centre of the screen is at eye level. The screen is 77" diagonal.
  7. pigginbacon

pigginbacon Member

Ratings:
    +68
    I tried the demo and it worked. The fish was coming right out of the screen. I had to sit closer to the screen though to get it to work. I will retry resident evil and see if sitting closer works. It could also be that the fish scene is very slow moving. Maybe fast moving pop out is hard to see.
  8. True Romance

True Romance Active Member

Ratings:
    +746
    Try "final destination 5" the opening 15mins have some of the best "pop out" effects I've seen so far. And has above I've no issue with 3D on my 6000, its all good apart from some minor cross talk.
  9. shift4311

shift4311 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Glad you got somewhere but im sitting 3.5m back with no issues. You should be the same. Your getting closer though.
  10. djg85

djg85 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Right well my 6000 arrived during the week but I didn't get the screen put up till the weekend so was unable to really test everything properly (although I did watch a few movies and test the 3D on a bare wall). Being my first projector I have nothing to compare this to other than my 7yr old HD ready LCD telly. Well it's definitely better than the old TV, seems brighter although that could be to do with the size of screen. I've got it setup in the living room and the conditions are far from ideal for a projector. Six large windows, and two more on the ceiling definitely don't help! Even with them all open I can see the image on the screen quite clearly (although blacks are... well... not great, but what do you expect). With the blinds closed everything is a lot better however I'm still not quite happy with the colour, it just seems a little washed out. Could be to do with a slight bit of ambient light still in the room (blinds are not quite blackout) and the fact I'm kind of pushing the PJ to it's limits a bit (it's 5 meters from the screen and screen is 110" matt grey). In total darkness things do look better so maybe I just need to tweak my settings a little. 3D wise it's great. Tried the Lion King in 3D and caught the tail end of the Olympics and both were great. Images really do pop out the screen and it's almost like being at the Imax so I'm very pleased there :). Also tried The Hubble 3D disc, that's really impressive!!

Ranked up about 17hours so far but after watching a movie last night I noticed a yellow haze/halo kind of effect at the bottom right of the screen. The issue is also present in the test image (however is more of a dark colour). I've attached images to show the problem better. Is this a fault with the PJ or the bulb? Is it something that might clear up on its own or am I looking at a return already? Before this happened the bottom right of the screen seemed to be a bit hazy or pixelated. It was the only thing that I was a bit unhappy about as I thought I wouldn't notice this from where I was sitting (about 3M from screen). Is this an issue with my PJ again or is it something others have noticed? I'm thinking about the better optics on the 9000 now and how I probably should have got that. Just didn't see myself benefiting enough from it with my room conditions to merit the extra 1k :(

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,924
    Try defocussing and see if the yellow marks come into focus.I think it may be something behind the lens possibly a hair or strand of fibre.
  12. djg85

djg85 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the quick reply there kbfern. I tried adjusting the focus (used the test pattern as a reference) and no matter how far in/out of focus I make the overall image the defect seen looks the exact same. So it doesn't look like its contamination from a bit of dust or a hair :(. Does it look like it's a dodgy panel then?
  13. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403 Member

Ratings:
    +72
    Well I tried the youtube clips of the kid with the drill and chainsaw...oh dear ....Hollywood please take notice...that's how you do pop out 3d ! Seriously if anyone doubts the 3d performance of the projector....test it on these clips !
  14. beecee

beecee Member

Ratings:
    +91
    anything thats displayed and is not part of the picture is a fault.

and looking at your pics, i would return anyway.

replacement is in order i think.
  15. 1ellis2345

1ellis2345 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    cmarinelli:

"No problem. :)
    I shall also post my Gamma settings which IMHO provided most of the improvements, with the ND filter just finishing off the image."

Hi,

After seeing your posts I'm also thinking of adding a ND filter to my 6000 and I was just wondering how you're finding it?

Also, does it allow you to turn off the auto iris and still maintain good blacks? I find on just a black image it's pretty good, but as soon as the credits or something else (small) in the midle of the image appears the auto iris opens and bang goes the nice deep blacks:thumbsdow
  16. djg85

djg85 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hmm I'll give the 6000 one more chance.. if the next one has issues I might get a refund and pick up a 9000 :rolleyes:. I did love the 6000 while it worked though.

Thanks for all the help guys.
  17. True Romance

Ratings:
    +746
    Had a play with my new onkyo 818 yesterday and set up the video processing, with the pj in cinema mode I then put the 818 into cinema mode and it made a very big improvement to the blacks, in fact I think it looks pretty stunning now. May be worth checking your AV amp/receiver to see if it can doing video modes.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. cmarinelli

cmarinelli Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Hi,
    I am really pleased with it, however I must say if you simply pop it on, then you will not suddenly find the blacks are black and end of story.
    It was the initial disappointment with the ND filter that pushed me to tweaking other areas, noticeably the GAMMA black level.

I now have a preset where I have a semi-calibrated (using a calibration disk) image specifically for when I use the ND4 filter. This uses the Epson super-white, the ND4 filter and auto-iris turned OFF.
    I understand what you mean about the auto-iris and pure blacks, especially if the auto-iris is set to high. As soon as the smallest amount of white text appears, the black turns to grey, as seen on credits.

I am really happy with the filter and always use it for 2D viewing. You may wish to try an ND8 filter, but you may have to turn off the ECO setting.
    The key GAMMA change was the farthest left setting is at the minimum level. This does not appear to affect the viewing image in any way from studying the calibration disk, but does significantly improve the black level.

For information, my screen is a 1.2 gain screen in a 95% bat-cave environment (I've yet to add velvet to the walls).
  19. True Romance

Ratings:
    +746
    Downloaded the video(s) today and yes the pop out is very, very good. just shows whar can be done.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  20. djg85

djg85 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Well replacement arrived on Thursday. Very impressed with ProjectorPoint. They agreed to replace the unit on Tue and offered to get another out the next day. Everything all working now so I'm quite happy. Have realized I'm not going to be able to use it in day conditions though :(. Room is just too bright and the distance between the screen and PJ is a bit far to take advantage of the "light cannon" :(. It's still a cracking PJ and once the sun goes down the quality is great. Haven't tinkered with any of the PJ settings or my Onkyo 609 yet so might be able to improve things slightly. Definitely know now that a 9000 would be a waste with my room setup :p.

Still can't fault the 3D. The Panny glasses arrived as well so everyone can now enjoy the 3D. Does anyone know anywhere that I can pick up the Panny specs in a size large cheap? I can't seem to find them for under £70-80 and I managed to pick up the M ones for £40 a pair off the bay.

I've managed to knock up about 17hours since Thursday afternoon and I got the PJ mainly as a replacement for the TV so it will probably be fairly heavily used over it's life. Starting to wonder about the warranty... Now the PJ has a 3yr warranty and I know the 9000 has a 3yr unlimited usage on the bulb. From what I've read the 6000 also has a 3yr bulb warranty but is this for faults or usage as well? And I take it replacements are dealt with through Epson as opposed to the dealer?
  21. pmwhelan

pmwhelan Member

Ratings:
    +41
    Does anyone know can the Epson TW-5900 handle 3D in both Side-By-Side and Over-Under formats?

Thanks
    P
  22. pmwhelan

pmwhelan Member

Ratings:
    +41
    How do people find the 3D on the TW-5900?

I'm a bit put off by this ...

Epson EH-TW5900 review from the experts at whathifi.com

23. beecee

beecee Member

Ratings:
    +91
    if your conserned about the epson glasses, buy some panasonic glasses, but i have epsons, and they are pretty comfortable.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. pmwhelan

pmwhelan Member

Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks

I'm mostly worried about this comment ... "and 3D content undermines the brightness and detail of picture while being as prone to crosstalk as a 3D TV from 2009"

Is the crosstalk down to the glasses?

Anyone with the Panasonic \ Epson glasses getting crosstalk?

Also anyone know if it can play Over Under format 3D as well as Side By Side format?

thanks
  25. beecee

beecee Member

Ratings:
    +91
    IMO the panasonic glasses are slightly better, they give less cross talk, and a slightly brighter image. but in no way am i saying that the epson glasses are poor, they are perfectly fine, just the panasoncs are slightly better.

also as for crosstalk, the source material has a lot to do with it. i have only watched Avatar in 3D and i noticed very little crosstalk with panasonic or epson glasses.

according to the manual:
    Displays the 3D format of the signal input during 3D projection (Frame Packing,
    Side by Side, or Top and Bottom).
  26. Hugh

Hugh Active Member

Ratings:
    +270
    I've had no issues at all with crosstalk. Standard Epson glasses on TW6000.

Watched BBC Olympics opening ceremony (SBS)
    History channel "100 years of the Titanic" (SBS) Can't recommend this high enough.
    Discovery Channel's "Universe" (SBS)
    Various other Sky 3D stuff (Football, Olympics, documentaries all SBS)
    Gran Turismo and Wipeout on PS3 (Briefly. Not a gamer)
    Toy Story 1, 2 and 3 (Blu-ray)
    Underworld Awakening (Blu-ray)

So, I've seen all the formats available and have yet to see anything other than a great 3D image. No crosstalk.

I must state that I do always watch in blackout conditions, so whether any issues become more prevelant in daytime viewing, I can not say.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  27. cossie

cossie Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I've got the 6000 and have watched quite a lot of 3D both from Sky and Blu-ray and I've never noticed any crosstalk unlike some of the demo's I've attended or seen on various TV's.

As for the glasses it's personal preference, I find the Epson ones acceptable and even the wife who wears glasses sat through all 4.5 hours of the Olympic opening ceremony without complaint.
  28. pmwhelan

pmwhelan Member

Ratings:
    +41
    Can anyone recommend a projector ceiling holder for the 5900?
    Thanks
    P
  29. cmarinelli

cmarinelli Member

Ratings:
    +31
    It depends what drop you require, however the Epson one is pretty good.
    Although I managed to buy from Amazon when it was cheap. The prices seem to have gone up a little since then.

In general people seem to go for what suits their drop requirement, aesthetics and price. Just make sure it can hold the weight and you mount it as per the instructions.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. pmwhelan

pmwhelan Member

Ratings:
    +41
    Id need one that has practically no drop but would allow me to angle the projector to point downwards as my screen is in the middle of the wall and I want the projector close to the ceiling on the opposite wall.

Its a small room 15 foot long.

Do you have any links to the Epson mount or any others that might do the job?

thanks p