1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson TW-5900/6000/6000W Owners thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by paulmcp2403, Jul 26, 2012.

1. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403 Member

Ratings:
    +70
    (mod edit: Part 1 can be found here....http://www.avforums.com/forums/projectors/1531369-epson-tw-5900-6000-6000w-owners-thread.html )

Folks, I got an email from Epson saying my free glasses were approved on the 11th of July....but I'm still waiting. I believe most people got them within 10 days...is that correct? If so Im a little miffed :rolleyes:...seeing as the promotion concentrated on the whole Olympics in 3d factor. :clap: Yes I know it says wait up to 30 days, but the guy that emailed me said that length of time would be highly unusual...so how long has it taken people to get them ??? :thumbsup:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2012
  2. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse Active Member

Ratings:
    +236
    I think my glasses arrived 3 days after I received the email.
  3. Hugh

Hugh Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Got the email early/mid last week. Still waiting.

Not too bothered about the olympics in 3D.........Well maybe the womens beach volleyball. :D

Edit : And as is the usual, they were waiting for me when I got home. Approval email on the 17th.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  4. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403 Member

Ratings:
    +70
    Mine arrived .
  5. True Romance

True Romance Active Member

Ratings:
    +621
    Ref power off issuse. In the menu you can turn on the power off warning so when you press the standby button it displays a message on screen. Why this was not set as default god knows :-(
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. beecee

beecee Member

Ratings:
    +82
    my 2 pairs of glasses turned up today, only posted the application last week.
  7. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403 Member

Ratings:
    +70
    can some users post their picture settings please? Just want to see what others are using as settings...Ta
  8. mgzr1400

mgzr1400 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Just Taken delivery of mine at the weekend and would love to see others settings and tips too please.

oops, just noticed yours was the 6000, I had the 5900.

Loving it so far but would love to see others picture settings and tips on best calibration settings they have found so far.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  9. True Romance

Ratings:
    +621
    Guys setting are adjusted for each room the pj is installed in, so unless we all have the same rooms no real point listing your settings. Imho out of the box cinema setting is very good.
  10. cookie7772

cookie7772 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Having used a HD5360BD for a few months I decided to upgrade to the Epson.

Has anyone had ocassion to return 2 projectors having experienced problems?

My story is that I purchased the projector from Projectorpoint.co.uk in mid July. Incidentally I can not praise enough the people at Projectorpoint for thier service.

The first projector received had a number of issues - niosey iris, glue on inner optic and convergence issue.

The second projector is as different as chalk as cheese, no optic irregularities, almost silent in use and excellent image quality.

Perhaps I am being over cynical but it seems to me from this thread, and others that no one has had the same issue after returning an original unit this is probably down to chance and Epson quality control.

Any thoughts??
  11. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403 Member

Ratings:
    +70
    True Romance, for once I have do disagree old chap :) Sometimes its good to try the settings others have...I for one can be somewhat blinkered and therefore often welcome looking at others settings ...I might not like them, but I find it interesting to see what works for others :thumbsup:
  12. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Member

Ratings:
    +9
    i have searched this thread and not found anything, sooo
    anyone used 3rd party glasses with the tw5900? mainly looking for anyone who has used the sainsonic ones. if not them any 3rd party glasses.

regards
    dr. robert
  13. electro_man

electro_man Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I find the Panasonic ty-ew3d3me are excellent 3d glasses. They are much lighter than the epsons and much more comfortable to wear. They are also rechargeable. You can pick them up for about £50. They work really well with the 5900.
  14. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Member

Ratings:
    +9
    do you know if they are easy to wear over normal glasses? i'm quite happy to put contacts in but her indoors don't get on with them?
  15. electro_man

electro_man Member

Ratings:
    +9
    As a glasses wearer they fit just fine.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. drennan

drennan Member

Ratings:
    +5
    These 3rd gen panasonics are being phased out now I think. I got a pair from my local Curry's the other day for £39. Some Curry's and Pcworlds still have them in stock so I'd check your local stores online. They are good, and def much smaller/lighter than the epsons.
  17. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Member

Ratings:
    +9
    seen some on ebay for about £40, gonna give them a go.

regards
    Dr. Robert
  18. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403 Member

Ratings:
    +70
    From comparing them to the much heavier epson...yes they are lighter which makes a HUGE differece :thumbsup:...BUT....I felt the 3d was slightly reduced....my wife and mate also agreed. :thumbsup:
  19. beecee

beecee Member

Ratings:
    +82
    i thought the panasonic glasses reduced crosstalk and provided a brighter image than the epsons. :eek:
  20. True Romance

Ratings:
    +621
    Hey I'll have less of the "old" thank you very much :D
  21. True Romance

Ratings:
    +621
    Down to £29.99 online for store pick up, thats if you can find any in stock. Only found one pair in a 30 mile radius of me!
  22. djg85

djg85 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I've been reading about these projectors for ages now (probably from the point they were announced) and have been dieing to get a 9000 but unfortunately will only have the budget for a 6000 :(. I'm looking to use the "split screen" option but the manual seems to indicate that HDMI is not supported. Is this the case? I would be looking at having say the Sky box on one input (via the amp) and the Xbox on the other HDMI or PC/comp HDMI input. Does anyone know if this would be possible or if you can only do split screen on the composite/PC inputs?

I'm also planning on mounting the projector on a shelf at the opposite side of the room (about 5 to 5.5M from where the screen will be) and will be using a 110" matt grey screen. Will there be any problems with this distance as I can't really mount the projector on the ceiling?
  23. pigginbacon

pigginbacon Member

Ratings:
    +61
    I've had my TW6000 for nearly a week now and I love it. A big improvement over the TW3200 I had. I love the 3D!

The only downside is that the fans are quite loud when watching 3D. Has anyone found a way to make them quieter?
  24. The Fatty

The Fatty Member

Ratings:
    +17
    you cant. The bulb goes into a brighter state thus the fans have to go up to.

Im suprised you notice a big improvment over the 3200! Most reviews/comments say the 3200 is better or equal at 2d?!
  25. djg85

djg85 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Right well I did a bit more digging about and think I found the answer to the first part of my question (split screen will apparently work with one HDMI input). Can anyone confirm if I should be ok having the PJ on a shelf about 5-5.5m from the screen?
  26. True Romance

Ratings:
    +621
    You can shelf mount it but you'll need to turn the pj on its back.
  27. djg85

djg85 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Having the PJ upside-down is not an issue, it's more the distance from PJ to screen that I'm worried about. Looking at the screen size calculator on projectorpoint it looks like a 110" screen is not going to be big enough to deal with the distance between screen and PJ however the 9000 will manage this. Looks like I'll need to convince the Mrs that a 9000 will be worth the extra pennies [​IMG]

Is there that big a difference between the 6000 and 9000 in light conditions? My livingroom is not that dark at the best of times so even with all the blinds closed it is still quite bright during the day :(. I know the 9000 has a much better contrast ratio but would blacks really be that much better in daylight? I take it a matt grey screen would be best for these conditions? This will be my first PJ so I wan't to get all the right stuff first time round :)
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  28. True Romance

Ratings:
    +621
    The 6000 has a big zoom range, so you want a 110 screen at 5m away? For what its worth I have seen a 9000 in action and imho it didn't look much better than the 6000?
  29. djg85

djg85 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for your quick replies True Romance. Yeah its just over 5m from the shelf to the PJ (I've said 5 to 5.5M to be safe). Problem I have is the room has about a 15ft high ceiling so a mount would not work. I like the idea of the 9000 having supposedly better optics and the automatic shutter on the lens, the 2D-3D scaling would also be a nice addition but is not something I'm too bothered about having. I don't really want to shell out the extra money if I'm not really going to benefit that much from it. I plan on using the PJ as a replacement for the TV and will be heavily using the split screen options as well.
  30. pigginbacon

pigginbacon Member

Ratings:
    +61
    I would say the picture quality is about equal to the 3200. However the 6000 has better brightness, has better build quality and the fans are actually quieter in 2D mode than the 3200's.

I had to adjust the focus on my 3200 every time I watched it. Also I had 3 units that had a flicker problem. So far the 6000 has been a big improvement. Long may it last!