Epson EH TW9100

Allan, i'm very grateful for your insight. Could i trouble you for just one more piece of advice?

I realise it's a sliding scale - the more money you spend, the better the screen/PQ, but if you were on a very tight budget for the screen and had white walls/ceiling, can i ask which 1.7 - 2m wide screen you would settle for.

I'd like to add, for anyone else reading, this is not Allan's recommended screen, just the one i might be able to stretch to :)

I would try to source a grey surface rather than white, it will be 0.8 gain or there abouts but an Epson pj has plenty of light output so it should produce decent whites as well as blacks

the new ReAct 2.1 surface that I recommend for ambient lit reflective rooms has a gain of 1 as far as I know, nothing measured and no specs from Draper yet, so perfect, and does reflect very little light back into the room, its the reflected light back from the screen into the room that causes the issues Duncan

Whatever you choose for your amount of money, think of it as a starter screen and one which will be a stop gap until your budget allows you to improve your kit. :smashin:

Thanks as ever for your valuable advice, Allan. The light reflection from the screen hadn't occurred to me, and so the reasons for a grey screen make total sense. If i end up getting the Sony HW50 i imagine this will be even more of an issue, as it produces slightly less light than the Epson. I'll see if i can find a budget grey screen anywhere, otherwise, as you say i'll look at it as a stop gap for a couple of years :)
Cheers, Allan :smashin:

I purchased from Allen on his advice based on the fact I couldn't get a demo locally.
My experience with the 9100 is fantastic, particularly since the react screen arrived last week.
To answer some questions asked earlier, I've not noticed any convergence, when watching a film unless there is silence, I don't notice the fan noise and its about 1m directly above me, I've not tried eco mode and haven't played with any settings.

When watching on the original white screen, I was happy with the PQ but blacks didn't compare with my Pioneer plasma, but still an impressive picture. Changing to the react last week really had a wow factor. Not far of my Pioneer.

What I've noticed with the new screen material is that the room doesn't get lit up anywhere near like it used to, particularly the white ceiling.

Allen, do you recommend any fine tuning?

Thanks again for the advice, loving the experience with my first projector

Changing to the react last week really had a wow factor. Not far of my Pioneer.

What I've noticed with the new screen material is that the room doesn't get lit up anywhere near like it used to, particularly the white ceiling.

Cheers millward91. Can you provide a link to the particular screen you bought, please?

I purchased from Allen on his advice based on the fact I couldn't get a demo locally.
My experience with the 9100 is fantastic, particularly since the react screen arrived last week.
To answer some questions asked earlier, I've not noticed any convergence, when watching a film unless there is silence, I don't notice the fan noise and its about 1m directly above me, I've not tried eco mode and haven't played with any settings.

When watching on the original white screen, I was happy with the PQ but blacks didn't compare with my Pioneer plasma, but still an impressive picture. Changing to the react last week really had a wow factor. Not far of my Pioneer.

Allen, do you recommend any fine tuning?

Thanks again for the advice, loving the experience with my first projector

the one thing i`ve done with my 9100 is the pixel adjust, it takes around 10-15 mins to do, not that it was bad or anything, I just tried to see if I could get it any better and its now spot on i`d say

I then used the Spears & Munsil cal disc to adjust the greyscale and will not do anything else now until it has 100 hrs thats if it gets to 100hrs :D

apart from that I like to show things out of the box :smashin:

the combination of 9100 with ReAct really does cause an awful lot of interest when people call for a demonstration in the ambient lit room

Allan

Thanks, Allen, you're absolutely right, but unfortunately that's all the cash i have available. Would you agree though that in my 'corner cutting' situation my choices are the least bad ones ? :)

Or could i make better choices with the money?

The way i try to look at it is i'm not getting a bad screen and audio, just a really good PJ ;)

Epson TW8100
If you want an electric screen then you are around the £400 mark
Should give you enough left over for something like the Monitor Audio MASS and Yamaha RXV473

Can anyone with a 9100 tell me what happens to the picture when a lot of horizontal lens shift is used? I currently have a 3200, and have to use a lot of horizontal shift because of where the projector is. I notice the left side of the screen is less in focus than the right because of this. Watching video you don't notice, but if there are text/graphics on the screen you can see it.

Does a much more expensive projector like the 9100 do this? Can anyone try for me?

Thanks

Difficult to assess the PQ as it would move the picture off the screen, I'd assume it would be fine within its stated limits?

as an Epson dealer I could probably help you out if you get stuck :smashin:

Hi there my brother is selling his tw9100 but it needs a lamp how much inc delivery
thank you

just a minute

is this Epson a UK one supplied from an Epson UK dealer

if so the lamp is under warranty for 3 years

Just checked with him he says he bought it of a friend who moved to australia sold as seen i suppose no paperwork or warranty bargain 5oo quid he paid but he is selling because he wants this new xbox thing coming out

from August 1st until September 31st the EPSON 8100-9100-9100W projectors are now offered with a free 5 year warranty on projector and lamp

limited time and only from an assured Epson SDS dealer

this offer is not for the models above if supplied elsewhere and non SDS dealers

Epson 9100 and 9100W are the same models as 5020UB and 5020UBe in USA?
How come it is £2,500 and £2,900 vs $2,500 and $2,900? Is it possible that it is 57% cheaper in US? Other models are at the pretty much same price.
I saw, someone mentioned 5020UB is european 8100. But, I read that the difference between 8100 and 9100 is that 8100 does not include 3D RF glasses and 5020UB include them so I assume 5020 is 9100 rather than 8100. Am I correct?

Last edited:
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6020UB seems to equate to the EH-TW9100 model. Interested in that projector at that price on Ebay - can you foresee any problems with using an American model over here? Pretty new to all this.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Hi All,

I just got 9100, and the picture is stunning. I was doing a little calibration and found that with a specific test pattern for setting Sharpness I could see absolutely no difference when adjusting the scale from min to max. Essentailly it looks like that adjustment does not work. Has anyone had success with this or seen it working?

Not that I really need to adust it, as the test pattern looks pretty good, but I would like the option to see some change and choose the best setting.

Andy

Just for info, I couldn't find a lot of info on compatible glasses, took a gamble and ordered some Samsung 3D Active Glasses SSG-4100GB, and they work.
Ebay 2 pairs £12, happy

Thanks, I just bought some too, not arrived yet but look forward to giving them a go. Did you ever try adjusting the sharpness control on your projector?

Andy

Epson 9100 and 9100W are the same models as 5020UB and 5020UBe in USA?
How come it is £2,500 and £2,900 vs $2,500 and $2,900? Is it possible that it is 57% cheaper in US? Other models are at the pretty much same price.
I saw, someone mentioned 5020UB is european 8100. But, I read that the difference between 8100 and 9100 is that 8100 does not include 3D RF glasses and 5020UB include them so I assume 5020 is 9100 rather than 8100. Am I correct?

I think it's rediculous how the prices are fixed in different markets. I've just returned from the USA with a 5030UB which I paid $2599 for and got a 2 year warranty. In the UK they sell the same projector with a badge that says EH-TW9200 and in a black case for £2599 albeit with a five year warranty. The extra three years wasn't worth an additional £933 to me lol...

It quite possibly might be if it goes wrong after two years though. If it does go wrong in your two year warranty period I assume you will have to send it back at your cost to America? You pays your money and you takes your choice as they say. There is a lot of variables and like for like the difference is perhaps not quite as big as the price may seem

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom