1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson EH TW9100

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by kevingreystones, Dec 4, 2012.

1. fredwatt

fredwatt Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  2. rufilo

rufilo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    @fredwatt - Thx for the link. That's exactly where I got my concerns from. Bad convergence is well explained there.

I'd made my mind for the Epson 9100W which should arrive next week, but now I'm in doubt.
    This will also be my 1st pj and should last a couple of years.

Sorry if I made the pj choice more difficult, but hopefully will get some helpful feedback on this.
  3. fredwatt

fredwatt Member

Ratings:
    +39
    No... thank you for sharing the information. I am not sure what to make of it. Is is related to lens shift (which I need for placement) is it fixable? Is it hardware related.

Would you be so kind and keep up informed on your thoughts of the projector. There are not many owner posts. Given that Epson are swapping units, I can't see why you couldn't also or take a refund if you were not happy.

It's such a shame... it looks like such a cracking projector. Great reviews too.
  4. fredwatt

fredwatt Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Last couple of posts have been down beat about 'convergence' - we'll see what people say... Read this

Epson Home Cinema 5020 Projector Review - Overview (5020 is American version of TW8100). Excellent read. Compares epson againts more expensive Panasonic PT-AT6000E and sony HW50ES.

Positive perspective of 8100 - (like avforums) - 9100 has more features than the 8100.
  5. kevingreystones

kevingreystones Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks Fred

My mind is made up Epson TW 9100 for me I now just have the horrible task of choosing receiver and speakers !!!
  6. quantumAV

quantumAV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +423
    Well you'll have a quality picture so you'll need quality sound to match
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  7. Duncanc

Duncanc Member

Ratings:
    +30
    :hiya:

Can anyone update about their Epson 9100?

How's the fan noise, eco mode and convergence working out ?

I'm trying to decide between the 9100, the Sony HW50ES and the Panasonic 6000.
  8. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Hi Duncan

i`ve demonstrated a 9100 this morning, in eco mode the fan is more or less unhearable, this is when the pj is ceiling mounted above our seating position, in high lamp mode then obviously you can hear the fan, but thats the same for every pj

the convergeance i`d say is spot on after I did the pixel adjust

for me the Sony HW50 is unbeatable at its price point in every respect but you really should have a demo of them all before deciding as this is the only true way to get an opinion

Allan
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Duncanc

Duncanc Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks for reply Allan.

I've read about a noticeable drop in PQ (brightness and colour) when in ECO mode. Have you noticed this? (my PJ room has white walls this may be an issue for me)

It's proving hard to find anywhere i can demo the 8100/9100 and the HW50ES in the London/South London area :(
  10. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,760
    I think you will find that any pj regardless will have a drop in brightness going from eco to high lamp mode, its natural for this to happen

i use a 9100 on eco mode all the time in my white room using a ReAct 2.1 screen and it really is very good, on high it will melt your eyeballs :D

you are correct in thinking that your room with having white walls will cause you issues with washing out the image, thats why i`ve mentioned to you in the past about having a screen which will combat light reflection

london is 2 hours on the train btw
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  11. Dersimli

Dersimli Member

Ratings:
    +3
    what do you think about in a living room sony hw50es + elite 1.1 cinewhite screen ( i will watch movies only at nights, i can use black curtains but i cant paint the walls and ceiling dark, they will be light colors)
  12. Duncanc

Duncanc Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks for the suggestion, but think that's probably too expensive for me. I'm getting getting the Pj, screen and audio, so I'm having to make some compromises, so I can't really go above £400 :(
    Do you know where I can find the price of this screen and what might be the best budget alternative?
  13. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,760
    its very difficult to say how much a screen that combats ambient light would be beneficial in your circumstances, you have to see the difference for yourself

all I can say is you could well be very happy using the combination you have suggested, but once you have seen the Sony with something like a ReAct surface I doubt very much you would prefer a white surface

you really need to see for yourself the differences between a white screen and a ReAct screen, it takes me 10 seconds to show customers the differences and no one (including the wives and girlfriends :D) as yet, have gone for the white screen in your room type enviroment

at the end of the day budget will dictate to you which screen to choose but ultimately if you eventually do go with an ambient type screen I can`t see you ever going back to a white surface in a room with reflective ambient lighting

once again, demo and see the differences and let your own eyes be the judge

Allan :smashin:
  14. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,760
    it may be beneficial to try to procure a package deal from one dealer rather than going to several

what budget do you have, also room type/size and 5.1 - 7.1 information will help anyone trying the help you

Allan
  15. Dersimli

Dersimli Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Allan thank you friend, its me Cem from Turkey I will buy Darbee from you, btw i wont have lights on in my living room, i will lights off and close the black curtains but only problem will be white ceiling and walls and also floor :facepalm:
  16. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,760
    well a bit far to come for a demo then Cem :D

you are highlighting the problem areas in your room and i`m pretty sure you already know that your image contrast will be compromised

but as long as you are happy then thats all that matters :smashin:
  17. Duncanc

Duncanc Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Hi Allen,

Budget is 3 - 3.5k at a push.

Room is only 3m wide (less the depth of the PJ obviously :) ) with white (Magnolia) walls.

Audio - i'd love 7.1 so i have the option to add another pair of speakers later, but 5.1 will be ok. Also 7.1 may be overkill for my 3x3m room!

However, i'll probably move house in 2-3 years and of course don't know if i'll have more space, so 7.1 will future proof me. And while i'm future proofing, a receiver with 4K image passthrough would be nice! I was thinking of the 7.1 Sony 1030, but it doesn't appear to have 4K passthrough. The Yamaha 473 does, but reviews seem to favour the Sony overall.

Screen: Don't want to spend too much on the screen, since when i finally move house, if there's enough space i'd definitely want to get a bigger one than i can fit in now. So i was looking at the Sapphire electric range (around £300). But don't know if the Sapphire will be acceptable with my white walls!

Screen size - i'd love 2m (width), but considering my short throw distance which is 2.57m if i get the Epson 8100 - a little less if i get the Sony HW50, i'll probably have to settle for the 1.7m (width) screen. Also, i'm guessing i'll have to zoom and am i correct in thinking this will effect my PQ as well as lens shift? ....Which brings me to:

Placement will be a foot of two to the left of the screen's edge and either another foot or two below the screen, or around a foot above the screen (depends on whether i can fit a free standing book shelf in the room to put the PJ on top of - otherwise i'll put it in a cabinet nearer floor level).

ETA: forget to mention Speakers... i guess these are last on my priority list (sorry audiophile out there ;) ), so i'm considering the Canton Movie 70 5.1 set, which seem to be around £199.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  18. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,760
    I could probably help you with pj but to be honest for what you want then your budget simply does stretch enough to justify the remainder of the components worthy to compliment the Sony or Epson pj`s

spending £2600-2800 on a pj and leaving £200-700 for everything else is simply not doable i`m afraid unless massive corners are cut and you`ll end up being disappointed

Allan
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Duncanc

Duncanc Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks, Allen, you're absolutely right, but unfortunately that's all the cash i have available. Would you agree though that in my 'corner cutting' situation my choices are the least bad ones ? :)

Or could i make better choices with the money?

The way i try to look at it is i'm not getting a bad screen and audio, just a really good PJ ;)
  20. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,760
    the only comment I can make is that if using a white screen in your ambient lit white walled/ceiling room would not do the Epson or Sony or JVC or any pj for that matter any justice, in other words the screen will make any pj in your enviroment look bad

thats is why I suggested going to see a pj in a room similar to yours and see the differences for yourself

try reading the maximising image contrast thread and you`ll see what I`m on about

you either change the room or change the screen, it really is one or the other i`m afraid, this is the only way you will get the best out of the pj and see what its actually capable of doing

i`ve said this a million times, well quite a few :D, you can spend as much as you like on a pj, £1000-2000-5000-50,000, 100,000 put it in the wrong room with the wrong screen and it simply will not perform to its best.

it can`t and won`t and if anyone tells you otherwise then send `em here and i`ll show them it can`t.

as long as you are willing to accept this, then fine and you`ll have to save up and replace the screen at a later date or change the room decor, no other choices unfortunatley :(

as to your other audio choices I won`t comment as I have no first hand experience of them sorry
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. Duncanc

Duncanc Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Allan, i'm very grateful for your insight. Could i trouble you for just one more piece of advice?

I realise it's a sliding scale - the more money you spend, the better the screen/PQ, but if you were on a very tight budget for the screen and had white walls/ceiling, can i ask which 1.7 - 2m wide screen you would settle for.

I'd like to add, for anyone else reading, this is not Allan's recommended screen, just the one i might be able to stretch to :)
  22. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,760
    I would try to source a grey surface rather than white, it will be 0.8 gain or there abouts but an Epson pj has plenty of light output so it should produce decent whites as well as blacks

the new ReAct 2.1 surface that I recommend for ambient lit reflective rooms has a gain of 1 as far as I know, nothing measured and no specs from Draper yet, so perfect, and does reflect very little light back into the room, its the reflected light back from the screen into the room that causes the issues Duncan

Whatever you choose for your amount of money, think of it as a starter screen and one which will be a stop gap until your budget allows you to improve your kit. :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. Duncanc

Duncanc Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks as ever for your valuable advice, Allan. The light reflection from the screen hadn't occurred to me, and so the reasons for a grey screen make total sense. If i end up getting the Sony HW50 i imagine this will be even more of an issue, as it produces slightly less light than the Epson. I'll see if i can find a budget grey screen anywhere, otherwise, as you say i'll look at it as a stop gap for a couple of years :)
    Cheers, Allan :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. millward91

millward91 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I purchased from Allen on his advice based on the fact I couldn't get a demo locally.
    My experience with the 9100 is fantastic, particularly since the react screen arrived last week.
    To answer some questions asked earlier, I've not noticed any convergence, when watching a film unless there is silence, I don't notice the fan noise and its about 1m directly above me, I've not tried eco mode and haven't played with any settings.

When watching on the original white screen, I was happy with the PQ but blacks didn't compare with my Pioneer plasma, but still an impressive picture. Changing to the react last week really had a wow factor. Not far of my Pioneer.

What I've noticed with the new screen material is that the room doesn't get lit up anywhere near like it used to, particularly the white ceiling.

Allen, do you recommend any fine tuning?

Thanks again for the advice, loving the experience with my first projector
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  25. Duncanc

Duncanc Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Cheers millward91. Can you provide a link to the particular screen you bought, please?
  26. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,760
    the one thing i`ve done with my 9100 is the pixel adjust, it takes around 10-15 mins to do, not that it was bad or anything, I just tried to see if I could get it any better and its now spot on i`d say

I then used the Spears & Munsil cal disc to adjust the greyscale and will not do anything else now until it has 100 hrs thats if it gets to 100hrs :D

apart from that I like to show things out of the box :smashin:

the combination of 9100 with ReAct really does cause an awful lot of interest when people call for a demonstration in the ambient lit room

Allan
  27. quantumAV

quantumAV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +423
    Epson TW8100
    If you want an electric screen then you are around the £400 mark
    Should give you enough left over for something like the Monitor Audio MASS and Yamaha RXV473
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. millward91

millward91 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    It was from Allan at Ideal AV, a Draper Diplomat 104" tab tensioned ReactII
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  29. Timun

Timun Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone with a 9100 tell me what happens to the picture when a lot of horizontal lens shift is used? I currently have a 3200, and have to use a lot of horizontal shift because of where the projector is. I notice the left side of the screen is less in focus than the right because of this. Watching video you don't notice, but if there are text/graphics on the screen you can see it.

Does a much more expensive projector like the 9100 do this? Can anyone try for me?

Thanks
  30. millward91

millward91 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Difficult to assess the PQ as it would move the picture off the screen, I'd assume it would be fine within its stated limits?