1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson EH TW9100

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by kevingreystones, Dec 4, 2012.

1. kevingreystones

kevingreystones Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Had a demo of the new EPSON EH TW9100 yesterday , the quality of the image was astonishing, haven't been able to try the new Panasonic anywhere yet .

Think I will plunge for the Epson unless anyone says otherwise ??? My dedicated room measures 6.5m x 5.5 m.

My preference for sound will be the ARCAM AVR 400 receiver, Bowers and Wilkins CM8 speakers with a REL Subwoofer . any comments ??

M
  2. h0merj

h0merj Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Do you want to play games? Is input lag potentially an issue for you?
  3. kevingreystones

kevingreystones Member

Ratings:
    +7
    No not really just want to watch movies
  4. fredwatt

fredwatt Member

Ratings:
    +39
  5. kevingreystones

kevingreystones Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Have not had the opportunity to test the Sony unable to find a local dealer near to Bath where I live ?

I have tested the Optoma HD33 which I was disappointed with , I also saw the Panasonic AT 5000 but preferred the picture on the Epson.
  6. kevingreystones

kevingreystones Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Sorry also meant to say that I was very impressed with the warranty support that Epson offer , at home visiting etc
  7. fredwatt

fredwatt Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Being in the same boat most of the online reviews seem to give the 9100 a ever so slightly less favourable than others (but I don't know... I am still thinking 9100). But I have not seen any in the flesh. At just under 3K there's the Pansonic At6000e, hw50es, 9100, and JVC dla-x35. As this is my first projector, I need to read to get a good understanding what features are important - that's why I have notice that the sony has very positive feedback from reviewers.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. h0merj

h0merj Member

Ratings:
    +26
    For what it's worth I have been mulling this same decision fora few weeks and have decided on the HW50
  9. kevingreystones

kevingreystones Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks where did you order it from I am trying to find a dealer who has one in stock so I can see it in action ?

Did they offer a decent warranty including home servicing which is tempting me to the Epson.
  10. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,745
    Hi Kevin

I had a customer from Bath last week looking at pj`s, you could have cadged a lift with him lol

try to get a demo of them all at the same time in a room similar to your own if possible, that way the resulting image will be nearer to what you will see at home.

good luck, they are all great projectors offering different options so you`ll have a lot of fun choosing hopefully

Allan :smashin:
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  11. fredwatt

fredwatt Member

Ratings:
    +39
    9100 does seem more efficient to run than the sony, epson 4000 hours replacement (ELPLP69) cost as googled today £199 = 4.9 p per hour.

The HW50ES 2000..3000 hours before replacement cost as googled today (LMP-H202) £239 = 9.56p per hour.

I also like the fact that Epson use Full HD 3D Glasses Initiative :: Home glasses. Not clear if the same is true for the sony.

Also thought the avforum review of the 8100 was excellent - Epson TW8100 (EH-TW8100) 3 Chip LCD 1080p 3D Projector Review | AVForums.com - UK Online

I believe I am starting to swing in favour of the epson 9100.

* please correct if I have the facts wrong.
  12. h0merj

h0merj Member

Ratings:
    +26
    I haven't seen either in action but have come to the conclusion that all at this price point will be excellent.

Haven't ordered yet but Sony because

1) Not LCD. No Dust blobs vs EPSON, Panasonic
    2) Game mode. Lowest reported input lag. Possibly lag better on new EPSON's though? JVC I looked at (X30) had very noticeable lag.
    3) Value. £2800 inc glasses
    4) Reality Creation
    5) etc

Just seems to tick more buttons than the others. Reviews are glowing. But I was dead set on a 9000 before I heard about the lag issue. Again, just because it was best reviewed.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. fredwatt

fredwatt Member

Ratings:
    +39
    I haven't a source - but I have been told that the lag has improved on the 9100 and is good for gamers - * though I am not or ever will be a joystick jigger.

Some points in favour of the epson...

1) 'Standard' RF Glasses... Sony uses IR so might need to be careful about positioning (not to block the IR emitter) if not wall/ceiling mounted.
    2) WIFI HDMI ... could be of interest and value.
    3) Cheaper to run/purchase.
    4) Lighter weight wise
    5) As was mentioned @home warranty.
    6) Like the sony it is stunning - 8100 review demonstrates this
    7) The epson has full active 3D 1080p in each eye - the sony does not (as I read in a review)

Plus point for the 'fabulous' sony, quieter on paper.

In the avfourms review the Reality Creation was sited as good for animation ... but not an advantage for 'live' action. Given that's the case, it's only an advantage if that's the content type that you normally view. Most of the time I enjoy watching 'live HD tv incl. tennis/golf' or normal blurays - though we do enjoy animated films.

All of these are secondary to the quality of the 2D/3D images and I guess the reason why it's so hard to decide is because there are no head to head comparisons. Well done to both manufactures...

My head hurts :) Can both camps get together and produce a 'epsony' - that's what we need.
  14. h0merj

h0merj Member

Ratings:
    +26
    I'm sure it's the usual case of worrying about specs, capabilities, reviews for the weeks you are researching it but once its in, as long as you are happy with it, all that stuff goes out the window and you just watch your content on it.

You make a good case for the 9100 now though and have muddled my mind again. :-(
  15. fredwatt

fredwatt Member

Ratings:
    +39
    I hope it's okay to reference a commercial site, but have a look at the images from an epson 9100.

Epson EH-TW9100 projector click on the 'more images' green button below the image of the projector.

For example:
    http://static1.projectorpoint.co.uk/imagelibrary/projectors/epson/eh-tw9100/09 - all.jpg

I am simply confused as well ... which one.
  16. alebonau

alebonau Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Apart from the RF glasses the 9100 is pretty similar to the 9000W. And as a 9000W owner am very pleased with mine coming upto 1 year of use. hardly any lamp drop off and in warranty epson are very good. excellent out of box performance too especially in ECO THX mode with a very natural colour balance. As an all rounder for the money they can be a pretty good solution I think with flexibility in mounting and zoom and with plenty of brightness up its sleeve :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  17. h0merj

h0merj Member

Ratings:
    +26
    No go with the input lag I'm afraid on 9000. Interested to see whether the "fast" mode on new 8100/9100 has resolved this.
  18. alebonau

alebonau Member

Ratings:
    +2
    probably something else out there for you, but the op has said gaming not a requirement :)
  19. fredwatt

fredwatt Member

Ratings:
    +39
    This is what I read somewhere ... it's use of the 'fast' mode and the turning off video enhancements modes - which I guess is not what is wanted for gaming.
  20. fredwatt

fredwatt Member

Ratings:
    +39
    alebonau can I ask what you meant by your last comment - did you mean that like me gaming is not a priority for you?
  21. Cliff

Cliff Member

Ratings:
    +243
    Are you sure there is some compromise with the Sony 3D? I have not read that myself and would be surprised.

By the way I own the Epson 9000 and I am very happy with it. I don't use it for gaming so that is not an issue for me. Had a Sony before, and if they have improved the 3D and brightness over the HW-30, which appears to be the case, that should also be a winner as well. Decisions!
  22. h0merj

h0merj Member

Ratings:
    +26
    He rightly pointed out that as this is your thread as OP, my opinion of it being a no go for lag is irrelevant. Although the question around fast mode I think was.
  23. quantumAV

quantumAV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +421
    just to point out the 'Wifi HDMI' would be on the TW9100W and not the TW9100.
  24. fredwatt

fredwatt Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Section entitled 3D Sony VPL-HW50ES Picture Quality
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  25. jc123rules

jc123rules New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    In exactly the same boat too, finally getting to see both the epson tw9100 and sony hw50 in action this weekend. I think I'm going to go for the sony :)
  26. fredwatt

fredwatt Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Lovely... you've made it off the fence :)

To help me... can I ask what was the deciding factor? I haven't seen either but I can't make a decision between a 8100+glasses or the hw50. Both have are great projectors... which doesnt help :confused:
  27. Cliff

Cliff Member

Ratings:
    +243
    Read through the review above that mentioned the 3D resolution, I don't think that is an issue that would put me off. There are other issues with 3D on most projectors that are far more noticable- Jerkiness, loss of light, crosstalk, and perceived flicker that I would be looking at to make a direct comparison. It is possible that Sony have minimised some of these at the expense on a slight drop in 3D resolution?

OK, give the reviewer a gold star for looking at a frame packed 3D pixel on off 1920 test pattern and noticing a slight drop in resolution. However that's nothing to broadcast SBS or passive TV drop in resolution.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. rufilo

rufilo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd my mind set to Epson 9100W until I start reading threads about the bad convergence of this pj.

There are several reports in US avsforum of bad panel convergence, unability to correct this with built-in panel alignment. Replacement units are reported to have the same convergence issue. Bad luck?! Epidemic fault?!
    None of the reviews I read so far mention it or barley touch this issue, but personally I find it quite disturbing.

Sony HW50ES was my second choice, only because of its less position flexibility and due to my living room enviroment needs. Epson Bad convergence will place Sony as number 1 choice.

My 9100W will arrive in a week time or so, but still on time to cancel.
    It would be great to get some experiences and some advice on this.
  29. kevingreystones

kevingreystones Member

Ratings:
    +7
    As I am new to this game can you explain to me what is meant by bad panel convergence ?
    I attended a demo of this projector last week and found the picture first class.
    As I have previously stated I am also sold on the Epson "at home warranty service", I have experienced failure of a £2.5 k piece of equipment in the past on a panasonic TV that was not covered by warranty( empire direct going bust) and would not want to repeat that expensive experience.
  30. fredwatt

fredwatt Member

Ratings:
    +39
    There is something here Epson EH-TW9100 Picture Quality under the section panel convergence. The reviewer had to have his projector replaced.

avforums did not mention any strong negatives or issues, more over this was an excellent review Epson TW8100 (EH-TW8100) 3 Chip LCD 1080p 3D Projector Review | AVForums.com - UK Online as was Epson EH-TW8100 review - Projector - Trusted Reviews

After much thought, I am seriosuly considering the epson 8100 over the sony. Looking to buy next week. But I am not sure what this 'panel convergence' means. Was it the reviewer's 9100 was it the wireless HDMI.. will epson swap a projector if this defect is apparent in a new delivered model?

Does anyone know more, and can explain - this would be my first projector - reading all that I can.