Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson EH-TW9000/w Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by blueye, Dec 29, 2011.

1. stevelup

stevelup Active Member

Ratings:
    +725
    On the box opening subject, mine came direct from a distributor and the box had been opened and resealed (double taped if you like). I'm sure it must be to put the UK power cable in.
  2. quantumAV

quantumAV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +467
    They are opened before they come to us to add the UK power cables.
    Basically they are centrally stocked in a European warehouse - Onkyo are the same - everything is opened and re-sealed
  3. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Well-Known Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +2,059
    it is Steve

and as Andy has said, others manufacturers do the same, JVC for instance have to unbox them for testing, re-flashing and include the emitter and glasses.

There nothing sinister about a box that has been opened at all, we`d all be complaining if the came with no accessories would we :D

thats why when I read comments such as this one....

these really make me smile ;)
  4. Dav1dF

Dav1dF Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,525
    If the box has been opened once to add a UK mains lead and re-taped by the manufacturer that's fine. But it doesn't mean that a re-taped box should automatically be dismissed as non suspect based on that. There are some unscrupulous dealers out there who will take advantage of that and try and palm off ex demo or returned items on someone else. Upon opening the box, everything should be nice and neat, and the item neatly wrapped and taped up in whatever it comes in (wrapping/bag). Common sense will tell you if it looks like it's been opened and used before.
  5. rhubarb4

rhubarb4 Member

Ratings:
    +354
    Brilliant I'm looking forward to this review, It will be the deciding factor to wether I get one, or still be stuck between the jvc x30 and panny 5000.

Chris.
  6. mattrs

mattrs Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't wait for the review but will be an interesting read nonetheless! PJ waiting for me at Sevenoaks SV, just waiting for my screen to be delivered now...argh the wait is killing me!
  7. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +2,059
    now the price of the JVC X30 in 2D spec has been revised at £2595 its a clear cut decision for me.

Allan
  8. Lastshadow

Lastshadow Member

Ratings:
    +3
    What's this price revise? I ask because Australia is just about to release these new models and the list price for the X30 is $4,999.00 AU. I wonder if they will revise the price soon also?
  9. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +2,059

As far as I`m aware its JVC UK that have revised the UK prices, not sure at all if its going to be world wide so can`t really comment.

what I can say is at £2595 rrp, the X30 is a proper bargain especially for those who aren`t really interested in 3D as for me its the best 2D machine out their for under £4900 rrp.

Allan :smashin:
  10. Lastshadow

Lastshadow Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the info, I really do hope JVC Aust follows suit.
  11. MickB

MickB Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I'm seriously considering this or the Sony HW30, viewing distance 14ft, projector ceiling-mounted overhead, & screen is 8ft wide, 0.8 gain grey Othelloline.
    Most of my viewing will be 2D, but obviosuly want 3D capability. Biggest question seems to be whether TW9000 will be too bright in 2D, & Sony too dim in 3D.
    Room is light-controlled (dark grey walls / ceiling, black carpet, blackout blinds).

Would love to hear comments?
  12. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +2,059
    Hi Mick

do you mind if I comment?

I doubt the Epson will be too bright for you, infact it won`t be, your 0.8 gain needs lumens throwing at it which is what the Epson excels at.

That said the Sony is quite a performer with 2d and 3d so don`t discount it.

if 2d is your forte then now the JVC X30 has dropped in price to £2595 in its 2d guise, you`d be mad not to include it as it beats the other in this area without question bUt they are all star performers.

The main thing is to have a demonstration of all 3 machines at the same time in the same room, this will help you decide which way to go but with 2d its the JVC for me every time, and a close call which i`d choose for 3d so demo demo demo.

Allan @ Ideal AV
  13. MickB

MickB Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks Allan, of course you're right, can't call it without a demo, and being in the M Keynes area, you may well be my closest opportunity for this.

You'd need to promise not to switch on the VW1000, unless my numbers come up tonight :thumbsup:
  14. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +2,059
    Mick

if my no`s come up tonight you can have a Sony 1000 :rotfl:

don`t ask to see the Sony 95 either ;)

it`ll be a pleasure to see you if you make it up here

cheers and have a great weekend

Allan
  15. rhubarb4

rhubarb4 Member

Ratings:
    +354
    Im going up to see Allan at Ideal on Saturday to see the 9000 and the x30, so I'm itching to see Steve withers review on the Epson. Now the x30 has dropped in price it's going to be a hard choice.

Chris.
  16. iantan

iantan Member

Ratings:
    +17
    With the price drop i might have been tempted, I really wanted the lens memory function for CIH viewing.

But I'm still pleased with the 9000, I suppose you have to choose between 2d, 3d, memory function etc...... What's the most important for you.
  17. MickB

MickB Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Rhubarb,
    +1, need to see that review asap :)

Question for existing owners, does anyone know the spacing for the mounting bolts for this, if I do pop for one I'd like to know if I need to change my ceiling mount as well?

thanks.
  18. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +2,059
    Hi Chris

looking forward to seeing you saturday.

its a close call in a living room enviroment but I think you`ll find both pj`s will perform extremely well

Allan :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  19. cl7gr

cl7gr Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I am not sure that Jvc is better for 2d since there is no cms so you can't have good color saturation, there is not enough light to fill bigger screens, the interpolation has a lot of jitter and the shadow detail or even sharpness doesn't best epson,...
  20. iantan

iantan Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I know, which is why I went with the Epson as the best allrounder.

Now to save up for that anamorphic lens.....
  21. cl7gr

cl7gr Member

Ratings:
    +5
    \
    And now i will give you a tip!!!! Do you know Epson price in Hellas?
    Epson EH-TW9000 | Skroutz.gr

With 2 pair of glasses encluded.... And the street price is even better!!!
  22. iantan

iantan Member

Ratings:
    +17
    For that price, do they throw in Greece?
  23. cl7gr

cl7gr Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Where is the review? :hiya:
  24. Steve Withers

Steve Withers Assistant Editor

Ratings:
    +1,876
    Testing is all finished, I'm just writing it up at the moment.
  25. rhubarb4

rhubarb4 Member

Ratings:
    +354
    Hi I think it wont get used much for 3D if I seriously think about what I will be using it for, but its nice to know its there and great quality too if I end up buying a few 3D Blu-rays.
  26. rhubarb4

rhubarb4 Member

Ratings:
    +354
    Hi Allan, The week seems to be dragging now as I have something to look forward to lol.:thumbsup:

I'm also pondering over weather I need wireless HD for the price of the 9000W or save some money with the 9000/JVC X30 and have a long HDMI cable, as I will need a power cable the same length as I have no socket local to were I will have the PJ seated.

Hopefully I should arrive at Normanton around 11, I've been routed via Sheffield now so I will let you know when I'm close and I can always ponder round for a bit if the other guy arrives that's booked before me. :D

Thanks, Chris.
  27. Lastshadow

Lastshadow Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm very interested and looking forward to the review as this projector is at the top of my list.
  28. MickB

MickB Member

Ratings:
    +13
    We're all poised for the review to pop up, in the meantime, there seems to be mention on the AVS forum that the pixel convergence menu is not available on Euro model unless you delve into service menu's, can anyone confirm / deny that please?
    Also, would like to know the spacing of the mounting holes to see whether my existing ceiling mount is suitable......:lease:
  29. cl7gr

cl7gr Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Pixel alignment is available on Euro model
  30. technique786

technique786 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I am in two minds at the moment with an expensive projector and cheap screen or vice versa, i am definitely getting an epson either way so wanted to know is their a universal epson mount i can install that would work with either projector i go for?