1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson EH-TW9000/w Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by blueye, Dec 29, 2011.

1. cmarinelli

cmarinelli Member

Ratings:
    +31
    It will be interesting to see if they work, however if the glasses are running at half the frequency, then they will be "open" for twice as long, therefore your eye will see both left and right frames. So no, it doesn't make sense.

The halving of the refresh rate means you see a 240 fps (equivalent) image per eye, although your source will probably be running at 24fps.
    This simply means less flicker and a brighter image, nothing to do with image movement.
    Let us know how you get on.
  2. corrado kid

corrado kid Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Just to update this as I have been in contact with epson about my issue they have told me the best they can do is either a service call during the week ( when I'm not home ) or return to service with a turnaround of a week or two! Considering I only purchased it just over a month ago I'm not particually pleased about this to be honest. My list of problems are as follows:
    Heavy vertical banding, green spot on right hand of screen towards edge of lens and the horizontal alignment dropping regularly. What's the chances of this being fixed via a service call? Very little I suspect! It's starting to feel like a bit of a bad purchase for me at the moment and I'm a bit dissapointed to be honest.
  3. Quaddy

Quaddy Member

Ratings:
    +243
    i had a similar issue on a few month old 9000w, epson were not the best (after reading they were seemingly superb!)

the issue was a flashing/pulsing bright and dim image via the lamp on eco mode (not visible on normal bright mode!)

very slow to communicate back and forth, seemed even getting it booked in took a week of back and forth emails

and then when it was due to be collected, on the day, the firm never showed up, nor the next day, took 3 extra days for it to be collected (no explanation) then it took about a week till it was returned (no warning, like they said)

and then when it arrived it came back in an old plain brown box devoid of the original polystyrene buffers - not my original 9000w product box (like they had originally advised to send it back in) - wasnt happy with that, so contacted epson and the repair firm, and they (repair firm) eventually sent me back some other 9000w empty box, not mine!

not a good service at all, not commensurate with a few month old £2.5k unit, quite disappointed overall, its only for the PJ being so excellent and excelling in the areas i need, lumens, good 3d,wireless etc, that i stuck with it.
  4. iantan

iantan Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Quaddy, Do you know what the issue was? My 9000 has started doing the same thing. A slow flicker particulary noticeable on white areas. I thought it could be a loose or faulty HDMI lead but I isolated the projector and still had the issue. Same as you, if I put it on normal lamp mode i had no flicker.
    I spoke to Epson today and they are sending an engineer round tomorrow, hopefully! When I spoke to their rep there was no real confirmation of when he would arrive but when pushed he did say tomorrow - didn't seem the most organised system.
  5. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +975
    You may find that this is just the bulb settling. It is not uncommon of all lamp based projectors, and is usually cured by running the proj in high mode for a few hours.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Quaddy

Quaddy Member

Ratings:
    +243
    Iantan, the issue, apparently was something relating to the lamp, when it came back it mentioned a replacement lamp - the bright-er mode masked it, and from what i have read from others experiences, it only seems to be visible in eco mode
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Quaddy

Quaddy Member

Ratings:
    +243
    i dont think it is settling in, as it had ~900 hours on and the repair firm hinted at it being an issue that needed repairing rather than leaving to go, which it didnt (as i put up with it for a week after i first noticed it) - i always had used it in high mode and never in eco anyway, it was only by chance changing some settings that i saw it
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. iantan

iantan Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks Guy's, I'll post an update when after the engineers visit.
  9. iantan

iantan Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Mines got just over 1070 hours on it. Unlike Quaddy I use mine in a bat cave so normally have it on Eco and even then with the brightness turned down.
  10. Quaddy

Quaddy Member

Ratings:
    +243
    suffice to say i now only use it in eco, as i perhaps wrongly, feel that, that had caused the short termness of that unit, with it being on for 900 hours full whack, so am hoping this time, with eco, and high altitude set on for extra cooling kicks it will do me longer - after all these epson units are supposed to have one of the best bulb durations in the lcd camp!
  11. bighairybloke

bighairybloke Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Problem with my 9000 just occured "error with epson cinema filter, contact nearest epson service centre" only got 190 hours on this PJ, and had it professionally calibrated... Don't want to be having to shell out for another calibration, it's only about three months old!

Steve
  12. rhubarb4

rhubarb4 Member

Ratings:
    +283
    Hi I seem to have rectified the problem with my pc by lowering the screen hertz from 60 to 30, I have not had any further problems since. Hope this helps.

I had this come up and IdealAV's Allan suggested cleaning the filter but mine was clean, and after letting it warm up before changing I've not seen the message since.

Chris.
  13. Martin68

Martin68 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Just to let you know , i did order these glasses and they arrived today, i have tested them and they prove to work 100% perfect with the TW9000 and also my friends TW6000

they cost only £15 and state that they work at 120Hz and 240Hz

so if your looking for compatible cheap ebay glasses make sure they are 240Hz rated.

I have the Panasonic 3D3 models too, and i'm finding these cheap chinese glasses slightly brighter too compared with the more expensive Panasonic's and virtually zero crosstalk identical to the 3D3's
  14. Martin68

Martin68 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    my original purchase is sold out, but here is the link for more £15 glasses that do work: Slight Infrared Active 3D Glasses for Sony Panasonic Sharp Toshiba Samsung 3D TV | eBay
  15. Sam Ash

Sam Ash Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Waiting to hear back from you just out of interest.
  16. MoFoHo

MoFoHo Member

Ratings:
    +150
    Hi there. Has anybody had any subtle light output flickering issues? Sometimes I can see the light output flickering up and practically every second. The iris is turned off and I've verified the flickering on a paused blu-ray disc. Anybody else had this?
  17. Quaddy

Quaddy Member

Ratings:
    +243
    Yes, see post number 693.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. iantan

iantan Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Sorry Guy's I hadn't had a chance to post an update.

The engineer visited a couple of weeks back and brought a replacement projector as there was nothing that could be done on site. In fact he had two projectors allocated to this job and once we installed the first one and tried it there was a strange noise coming from the lens cover when it was switched off.

The second one was then installed and all appeared fine. Move forward 3 days as I had been down in London and I noticed a much louder than normal fan noise coming from the projector. I asked my wife if she had noticed it and even she had and said she thought I had changed something on the new projector.

I contacted Epson again and was asked for the new projector serial number, it obviously hadn't been updated as all that was shown on screen was a string of "0"s. On discussing this I found out that all the replacement projectors are refurbished stock.

I have been promised two home visits so far which haven't happened and I am now waiting for a courier unit to be delivered on Monday.

I hope this one is better as the machine noise, whilst not too loud, is very noticeable as the projector sits in a purpose built alcove just behind our seating area.
  19. corrado kid

corrado kid Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Mine shows no serial number on the menu either so I don't think that's unique to yours?
  20. Quaddy

Quaddy Member

Ratings:
    +243
    iantan, i presume high altitude mode wasn't enabled was it (that makes fan louder)
  21. iantan

iantan Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Quaddy, No I tried that but it just seems to be a louder fan rather than running at a higher speed.

Corrado Kid, I was told that the lack of serial number was down to not being reprogrammed after repair or refurb. I've not heard of it on any new machine
  22. inti

inti Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx, so this helped but it is a pain to run only @30hz! (My HTPC is the only source to the PJ)

A little recap of the problem I'm experiencing;
    I'm using a win based HTPC as the source to my PJ. I'm using it for movies, gaming and browsing the web.

Gaming and movies works flawless, both 2d and 3d. The problem I have is when I'm browsing certain web pages with the browser maximized the PJ flickers and then goes black until I have either made the browser window smaller or switched program. (There seems to be a pattern in the pages that makes my PJ crash, they are all colorful pages, such as Google Calendar and podnapisi.net FWIW) Sometimes when the pj has crashed and the screen is black the following text is showing in the lower right corner:
    "Source: HDMI1
    Not supported
    H:67.49kHz V:59.99Hz"

I'm using HDMI 1.4 cables (tried different cables and connecting w or w/o reciever) and the GPU in my HTPC is a Radeon HD7870. Res 1920x1080@60Hz.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
    P
  23. Mo Better Blues

Mo Better Blues Member

Ratings:
    +55
    I've just had a 9000W installed so can those in the know offer advice on any settings to tweak.

I will have it calibrated once I've logged 200 hours but what might be good to tinker with now?

Thanks.
  24. Manfonse

Manfonse Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hey, anyone know where to get the best/cheapest replacement bulbs for this unit? I have almost 800h clocked up, but I'm not sure when they need replacing! Thanks
  25. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,821
    Why do you need to know where to get bulbs from, when yours goes you will get a free replacement from Epson, they are covered for as many replacements as needed over the full 3yr warranty for the 9000 model.
  26. demented_uk

demented_uk Member

Ratings:
    +21
    How does this work? Do you just contact Epson when it goes and wait for the replacement to arrive?
  27. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,821
    You just call them up if your lamp has gone pop or excessively dimmed to a point that the pj image is unacceptable.I am not sure if they want the old lamp back or not before a replacement bulb is issued.
  28. Manfonse

Manfonse Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I forgot about about the 3 year lamp warranty. Ooosshhh! Thanks
  29. Dan201

Dan201 Active Member

Ratings:
    +193
    Are there any settings on the 9000 that affect frame rate? I get a stutter once in a while like a missed frame which I notice on panning shots. Its not one per second but its hard to judge how often it is as most panning shots are fairly short.

Ive got frame interpolation turned off.

Edit: It was my av receiver.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  30. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +975
    Brightness, contrast and sharpness can be set using something like AVS-HD. Depending on your source, brightness and contrast do not usually move much from 0, although you make have a bigger discrepency with the WDTV;)

I would leave colour, skin tone etc alone at default.

Regarding the other settings. Natural is the closest profile to REC.709, whilst OOTB the gammas track fairly close to their indication, i.e. 2.4 = 2.4. The chosen option will depend on your room conditions. The better the room, the higher you can go. The gamma does 'droop' quite a lot as the bulb ages though, so the cutomised gamma is required from what I have seen.

White balance is hard (near in impossible to do accurately an untrained eye) to do without a meter, but all the Epson TW9000(w) I have worked on have been high in Blue, but this may not be all the time.

That should get you started, and enjoy the projector:thumbsup: