1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson EH-TW9000/w Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by blueye, Dec 29, 2011.

1. plasma_novice

plasma_novice Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Could this be comparable to the 6010 version in the US? That allows for an Anamorphic lens to be attached but it doesn't mention any specific lens to give extra brightness though
  2. Baggy

Baggy Member

Ratings:
    +70
    No it appears the rest of Europe are being sold a Light Power model which comes with a filter which fits in front of the lens which is supposed to provide a near perfect colour spectrum whilst possibly reducing measured lumens to 1600
  3. abs

abs Active Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Hi guys interested in the 9000, i managed to demo it today. Excellent image, very bright but the demo of avatar in 3d in dynamic mode was not too good i think this was due to the brightness of the image. Switched to cinema mode that took some of the brightness off but improved the 3d significantly. What settings do you guys have it set at and how would you compare the epson to other models from the likes of sony, jvc panasonic etc.
  4. clehner

clehner Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    the TW9000LPE comes with this large Magenta filter to flatten out the greyscal in dynamic mode, i.e. you can squeeze the last lumen out of the machine without loosing the linearity of the greyscale.
    OTOH: The TW9000 ist the brightest of the whole lot (jvc x-series, sony HW.. VW... etc.) anyways, but still the smallest and the lightest of them all!
    To me the biggest improvement to the previous TW5500 (of 4400) is that the color gamut is almost perfect even without the internal filter (which is basically only necessary if you want DeltaE below 1 or a heavily oversaturated gamut), meaning you don't need to sacrifices almost 60% of the light output in order to end up with correct colors.
    HIH
    Cheers
    Chris
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. plasma_novice

plasma_novice Member

Ratings:
    +32
    There's an excellent thread over on AVSForums comparing the Sony vs JVC vs BenQ vs Epson - some brilliant analysis - well worth a read. Think it's convinced me to get the Epson
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Cliff

Cliff Active Member

Ratings:
    +252
    Does anyone know if the 3rd generation Panasonic glasses are compatible with the Epson?
  7. chrislaw1968

chrislaw1968 Member

Ratings:
    +22
    They work on the tw6000
  8. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,760
    i have to say the more I see the Epson the more I like it, the 2d playback so far is excellent, very good detail and cinematic, sharp and crisp.

3d has a lot more brightness than its competitors and so far has shown no signs of any crosstalk or ghosting.

3d films as yet have been Avatar, Tangled, POTC OST, Cars 2, Spy Kids 4.

Allan :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. iantan

iantan Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Yes the Panasonic 3rd gen do work. I have a pair.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Cliff

Cliff Active Member

Ratings:
    +252
    Mmmmm, so the panasonic glasses work OK.
    I have a PT-AT5000, bought just before Christmas and on a 120 inch screen it could be brighter.

Watched Christmas Carol and it was a bit murky in places. Everything else about the Panasonic is good and I think their glasses are probably some of the best around in terms of light transmission, and at only 26g very light.

No stop it. I can't start changing after only a couple of months! :devil:
  11. lofty3

lofty3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just purchased the tw9000 ! Can't wait :)

Should arrive next week.
  12. Jedibitch

Jedibitch Member

Ratings:
    +5
    What's the current best price for this beauty?
  13. abs

abs Active Member

Ratings:
    +108
    £2650
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. lofty3

lofty3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    £2,286. AclassTechnology.
  15. clehner

clehner Member

Ratings:
    +2
    First quotations sounds about right.
  16. technique786

technique786 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    im rubbish at this stuff so pardon my stupidity.

The epson site lists "Throw Ratio 1.34 - 2.87:1" but thats just numbers to me i was expecting a chart or diagram lol.

I want to mount on the ceiling approx 3.5 meters from screen but i want the screen to be wall mounted and have a gap between screen and ceiling for my centre speaker. I just wanted to know whats the distance i need from the screen as (min and max please) and if i need to mount the projector on a specially made box to drop it inline with the top of the screen?

I hope my jibberish made sense to someone lol, thank you all.
  17. Steve Withers

Steve Withers Assistant Editor

Ratings:
    +1,589
    Now that we're back from CES, we'll hopefully get the TW9000 in for review soon.
  18. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Depends on the size of your screen the distance you need to mount the pj

The Epson 9000 has lens shift and a good adjustment for zooming so very versatile, what size screen are you wanting to achieve, and what's your seating distance.

Allan @ Ideal AV
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. technique786

technique786 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    projection distance is approx 3.5 meters and setting distance approx 4m. According to this site tool (i dont know if its accurate)

Projector Point

i can have a max 1.47m x 2.61 but im not sure if that is only possible if the screen and projector are aligned unlike my setup. How much play will i have with being able to have them in different "planes" so to speak.

thank you for the help.
  20. iantan

iantan Member

Ratings:
    +17
  21. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,760
    If it helps you, yesterday I measured the max zoom at 3.15 mtr for Plasma Novice and we achieved a diagonal of 107" so you will achieve slightly more at 3.5 mtr, but remember that was at max zoom.

What screen size are you wanting to achieve?

With the 9000 having very good vertical and horizontal lens shift positioning isn't critical

Allan
  22. technique786

technique786 Member

Ratings:
    +7

Thanks for all the help Alan,

I wouldnt know with a diagonal i would have to measure out length/width wise as i need space for speakers on either side and if possible a 2ft clearance from the floor.

Would the Zoom feature reduce quality?

p.s i will be sure to give ideal av my business i really appreciate the help mate.
  23. technique786

technique786 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I seem to be unable to download the manual, maybe its a website error. Im not sure whats been harder buttering up the old lady or figuring out what i need :suicide:
  24. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,760
    If you provide a width measurement we can then calculate a screen diag for you
    T
    Also thanks for the support as well it's really appreciated, I'll help as much as you need me to

Allan
  25. technique786

technique786 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks alot mate, im looking at about 3.4m wide by 2.6 high but this is before i take away the two foot from floor and enough space for my satellites either side and my centre above.

I wouldnt necessarily need to fill all the space just a nice size screen for my gaming/movies.

Will the system blur a little in fast moving images while im gaming? if so then a more conservative screen to hide that would be a better choice maybe.

EDIT: guestimating around 6ft high x 8ft wide is what i have leaving out speakers
    P.s What scrren format is right for me (movies/gaming), im assuming that 16:9 right? or is it dependent on projecter/projector distance?
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  26. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,760
    A screen width of 92" will give a 106" diagonal and height of 52" in a 16.9 format which I'd say is suitable for tv movies and gaming.

Ultimatley if you are not certain then I`d recommend you get the pj first and fire it onto the wall where the screen will eventually go and adjust the zoom to a size what you are comfortable with, also don`t take 10 mins to decide, one night or maybe even 2 nights to make sure you are making the right decision.

Quite a few have gone for "as big as they can" which I feel can be a mistake as you end up with your eyes going all over the are of the screen to see whats going on, this is not good as i`m sure you will appreciate.

Allan
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  27. technique786

technique786 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Does anyone know if this projector can handle full sbs or just half (thats something i barely understand lol)

EDIT: Question after question, im a nightmare lol. I wanted to know if people found the active glasses to be uncomfortable or hurt your eyes on this model.

EDIT again: i hear alot about the "emitter" is that something that is placed/built into the projector or something that needs to be near the screen?

thanks
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  28. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,760
    yes the Epson does handle side by side as is Sky TV and what have you, infact I watched the 2 footy matches yesterday afternoon on the Epson and it did look very good to me.

The 3d emitter is built into the pj as well so no problems with placement, it bounces off the screen and i`d say the distance between my lens-screen- seating is around 9.5-10mtrs with no issues at all.

As to glasses, everyone is different on this, I did have a couple here friday afternoon who preferred the Epson glasses to all the others I have for comfort, I actually prefer the Xpand ones so as said we are all different.

The Epson ones though are comfy (to me) with nice deep lenses as well

Allan
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. ashy666

ashy666 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just returned my second Epson EH-TW9000W. The first had a round white halo shape in the centre of the image that really drew your attention away from the image. The second projector lasted a week before failing completely (2 red lights meaning a serious internal error).In the week it did work the picture was excellent and the 3D was stunning. The wireless tranmitter worked really well. On the down side (apart from both being faulty)I did feel that the casing, remote and glasses felt cheap and plasticy (epecially the lens cover) compared to my JVC D-ILA HD1. The 2D to 3D conversion on my second unit was faulty as the image curved sharply to the right on the bottom half of the screen. I spoke to the shop I had purchased from and they said that all the Epson EH-TW9000W's that they had sold to date had all been returned with different faults(some with fingerprints on the inside of the lens blurring the screen image). I have decided I have no faith in Epsons products now and worry that even with a projector that was fine out of the box I would constantly be worried in case it failed in the future (the last thing I want is to have to keep returning it for repair). I am now waiting for a Panasonic PT-AT5000E instead. The one reason I purchased the Epson was for the wireless option as the 10mtr HDMI I have fitted is over 5 years old and not supposted to support 3D,I should not have worried as testing the cable with the Epson it carried the 3D signal with no problem at all. The Panasonic is £250 cheaper and comes with 2 pairs of 3D glasses. If I do need wirless HDMI 3D in the future Lindy is selling a HD 3D transmitter for £225 so it will still work out cheaper than the Epson and will not be tied to the projector. I do feel dissapointed with the Epson after waiting for months to get one (especially as they sounded amazing) only to have to send 2 back. I now feel that the quality control at Epson must be really poor to let the units out of the factory in the first place. A thing I did notice was that both projector boxes had been taped shut twice which made me wonder if they had already been sent back to Epson before I got them, which to me would be even worse for Epsons quality control system. Here's hoping that the Panasonic PT-AT5000E is better.
  30. technique786

technique786 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    wow, real sorry to hear about your ordeal mate. To be honest i was just getting ready to take the plunge on one of these(non wireless) but have started thinking i should perhaps wait a little as it is a new model and may well be riddled with problems.

heres hoping the panasonic delivers a stress free and quality viewing experiance, keep us posted on that.