Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVLA Log Book advice

Discussion in 'Motoring Forum' started by Joe90sDad, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Joe90sDad

Joe90sDad New Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Anyone know what to do here?

I bought a car at the start of June but have never received the log book, presumably because the original owner failed to send off his part of the V5.
    I've since sent off a log book claim along with my green part of the V5 (2 weeks back) and nothing received as yet.

Now, I want to get road tax for the car since it ended last night but without a renewal letter or V5 serial number I can't buy one.

Can anyone advise what I can do here to get this sorted ASAP?

Cheers!
  2. Kebabhead

Kebabhead Active Member

Ratings:
    +509
    Contact the seller and ask for an update.

Also ring DVLA customer enquiries number 0870 240 0009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Joe90sDad

Joe90sDad New Member

Ratings:
    +50
    The seller is unreliable, I got that impression when enquiring and buying the car. But I'll give DVLA a shout, ta.
  4. dolph

dolph Member

Ratings:
    +27
    If I remember rightly, if the DVLA haven't been notified in the change of ownership then the responsibility to tax the vehicle will still lie with your seller, a few demands for payment from the DVLA will probably give him a nudge in the right direction...!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Joe90sDad

Joe90sDad New Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Yeah, hopefully, Dolph. It's in his own interest, I could have racked up x number of speeding and parking fines by now.

Just called the DVLA and they said they got my application and to allow up to 2 weeks to get the log book so I can tax it.
  6. dejongj

dejongj Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,359
    You've figured it out already...The DVLA doesn't work that fast....Can't think that I've ever received a logbook within 2 weeks....

Very annoying for you though...Out of interest what did they tell you to do regarding car tax? Beware, that although the automatic penalty may be with the former owner...The police does have powers to take the car of the road especially if they suspect a dodgy situation...I.e. you can't proof the car is yours anymore as you don't even have the little green slip anymore....
  7. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,880
    I've often taxed car's and bikes without a log book if I've just bought the vehicle.

Just fill in the application form for a new log book at the post office and hand that in when you get the tax from the post office. They even post it off for you!
  8. Joe90sDad

Joe90sDad New Member

Ratings:
    +50
    dejongj, I've found the DVLA to be quite fast in recent years until this particular case.

I asked them about the road tax and he said I couldn't buy it until I get the log book. The car is sat on a driveway and I'm not going to drive it until I get it taxed.
  9. domtheone

domtheone Active Member

Ratings:
    +829
    Last couple of times i've received the log book within 10 days.

Last car purchase was Thursday 20th July. Friday 21st July the form was sent off to the DVLA.

Sat 29th July received new Log book:thumbsup:

Certainly faster than I used to remember it.
  10. Joe90sDad

Joe90sDad New Member

Ratings:
    +50

That used to be the case but not anymore. No V5 means no tax since the new registration system came into place, AFAIK.
    I bought a van from auction back in 2004 with log book to follow. I had to wait until then to tax it.
  11. JagoUK

JagoUK Active Member

Ratings:
    +591
    hold on, whats the log book? :confused: i thought it was the thing they stamp at garages to say you've had xxx done

i was asked to take my log book to my mot this friday and i was gonna take that along *gulp*
  12. Joe90sDad

Joe90sDad New Member

Ratings:
    +50
    No, that's the service book that you get stamped.

The registration document (V5) is commonly referred to as the log book. They may be asking for it because the MOT system has changed also. It's now a computerised system so DVLA know if a car has an MOT without you having to produce it. This also allows you to buy your road tax online now.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. JagoUK

JagoUK Active Member

Ratings:
    +591
    bugger, i better hunt it out then lol, first time i MOT'd a car so dont know much about it :suicide:
  14. Mylo

Mylo Active Member

Ratings:
    +397
    The new style V5 or even the old one has a tear off section that you give to the new owner. This is all you need to get road Tax.

The new computerised system is brilliant and they can tell if the car is insured and MOT'd without you even producing proof of this. I think this does rely on the new style MOT though. No more queuing in post offices full of grotty kids and miserable people, 2 minutes on the net is all you need.
  15. Joe90sDad

Joe90sDad New Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Mylo, that's my problem. I had it but had to send it with the application for a log book.:( Thought I'd get the log book by now. Stuff happens!
    Better order that moped soon!
  16. JagoUK

JagoUK Active Member

Ratings:
    +591
    i had to produce my MOT when i taxed my car this month, hopefully next year i wont have to and will be able to do it online :thumbsup:

im a bit worried about my MOT on friday as apparently they have a new way of testing headlights and i know my mondeo ones look a bit yellow :rolleyes:
  17. Joe90sDad

Joe90sDad New Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Two weeks later and no log book.

Just called DVLA to be told that the address details on the form I sent bear no resemblance to my address.
    I told her that must obviously be a clerical error on DVLA's part and was told 'that's impossible'.

I'm now stuck without being able to use this bloody car until who knows when. She took my telephone number and said someone will call back - I very much doubt it. :(
  18. Bikerider

Bikerider New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a bike a few months ago and on my log book it asks me for the date of purchase but i am not sure what date it was can i put a date what was around that time?
  19. rousetafarian

rousetafarian Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,663
    Yes, and thanks for bumping an 8 year old thread