Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI Output on PC --> VGA Input on TV

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Tim_Christopher, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Tim_Christopher

Tim_Christopher Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a a spare DVI-I output on my PC's graphics card and I would like to connect this to the VGA input on my Panasonic TH46PZ81 TV which is in a different room to the PC.

I am currently thinking about creating the following setup:

PC ~ DVI-I Output
    --> IXOS XHV458 Cable (DVI-D to DVI-D, Female to female)
    --> DVI-D to VGA adapter (Male DVI / Male VGA) - Does such an adapter exist?!
    TV ~ VGA Input

Can anyone let me know if the above setup would work - and if so where I can find a male to male DVI-D to VGA adapter?... And if not can anyone suggest an improved setup?

Thanks!
  2. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor Active Member

Ratings:
    +696
    No it can't work.

DVI-D is digital only so you can't connect to analogue VGA.

DVI-I is analogue + digital so you can connect a VGA adapter to that.

Usual answer would be DVI-I -> VGA adapter then VGA cable to TV
  3. 24 P

24 P Active Member

Ratings:
    +276
    I am sure, but correct me if I am wrong, that DVI-D will carry analog as well??
    If not, don't go DVI-I to VGA, it looks horrible, try the DVI to HDMI, its exactly the same as HDMI to HDMI with out Audio...

:thumbsup:
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  4. Tim_Christopher

Tim_Christopher Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah - I guess that makes sense; I was just hoping the adapter at the TV end coul do a conversion enabling the signal to be sent between the rooms in digital rather than analogue form.

I've opted for a IXOS XHV625 VGA/VGA cable now which will hopefully do the job...

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:
  5. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,075
    No, as MarkTaylor says in the above post DVI-D is a digital only connection. DVI-A is analogue only and DVI-I carries both analogue (VGA) and digital (basically the same video signal as from HDMI).
    As with any analogue connection the quality of the lead can make a big difference to the picture quality, especially over long cable runs. I see no reason why a DVI-I to VGA connection should look horrible.
    However most TV's wont accept their native resolution via VGA so the picture will probably look better via HDMI if that is an option.
    But only if the OP has a spare HDMI input on the TV. He states that he wants to use VGA so I assume there is a good reason for this.

Mark.