Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dusted off the Dreamcast

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii & DS Forums' started by spidermanalf, May 5, 2006.

1. spidermanalf

spidermanalf Member

Ratings:
    +103
    As the title suggests, got it all set up and everything, have been loving MvsCapcom 2, Powerstone 1 and 2 and loads of other random titles (Dynamite cop!)

Just love it!

Especially as most titles can be bough for 2/3 quid! This lunch time bought chu chu rocket for .40p! Completed it when it first came out, for .40p cannot go wrong !

I know there are some DC fans out there, anyone else just had a quick blast on it and realised how great it is/was?
  2. Soundwave

Soundwave Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,119
    My one still gets the odd dusting off especially lately what with Under Defeat having arrived :D

Other games that kept me busy until that arrived though were...

Garou Mark of Wolves
    Darkstalker Chronicles
    Ikaruga
    Jo-Jo's Bizarre Adventure
    Zombie Revenge
    King Of Fighters 2002
    Gunbird 2
    Rainbow Cotton
    Space Channel 5
    Shikigami No Shiro II
    Crazy Taxi 2

Infact I havent played on it in a fortnight now so I can see a session happening tonight :D :D

Neil
  3. spidermanalf

spidermanalf Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Bought Zombie revenge last week for a whole 2 quid! Its great, like a 3rd person HOTD!
  4. Soundwave

Soundwave Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,119
    And it's even better in 2 player :)

Neil
  5. HiFiver

HiFiver Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Soundwave, you got some **** hot fighters/shooters there.

Would like to have Rainbow Cotton the screens look great...

Been playing Last Blade, Half Life, Zero Gunner, Fur Fighters, MDK2 mostly.

Also most wanted: Space Channel Five P2, Under Defeat, Radilgy.....that list could go on and on....
  6. hpoom

hpoom Member

Ratings:
    +18
    I set my Dreamcast up in our spare room last week. It is great for fun when I can't get on my Gamecube cus my partner is watching TV. I'm just trying to pick up a copy of Shenmue now for a good price!
  7. HiFiver

HiFiver Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Like the decription of Zombie Revenge being a 3D HOTD, even down to the cheesy voiceovers !
  8. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    I was so proud when I completed MDK2 on the DC. It was one of the few games I've completed, but it was one mean :censored:! Great satisfaction when killing that final boss though!
  9. HiFiver

HiFiver Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got to the part where you cut Max free and then shoot the eyes of Big Boss. Cannot do the next bit:( Not sure if that's anywhere near the finish ?
    Humorous but hard the whole game sofar. No wonder you were pleased with yourself for finishing it. I'll be doing cartwheels if I get to do it.

The graphics are really excellent throughout. Especially the HUGE enviroments , great characters, effects....all top stuff.
  10. Soundwave

Soundwave Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,119
    I love my Shooters & my fighters I do :D :D

Rainbow Cotton is good & it does look lush but I dont like this as much as Cotton Boomerang on my Saturn...that game rules :)

I'm loving Under Defeat though at the moment its fantastic :D
    Looks so good & plays like a monster...easily one of th best shooters ever IMO

Neil
  11. Epicurus

Epicurus Active Member

Ratings:
    +406
    Yeah I still say the Dreamcast was the most under rated console ever, it was and still is amazing. A quick blast on Crazy Taxi now and then never gets dull, Skies of Arcadia is one of the best Japanese RPGs ever and who cant like Powerstone 1 and 2. Not to mention Soul Calibre, Metropolis Street Racer etc.

I have mine permanently set up in my house abroad, so whenever im on holiday there it gets a good play, so too does my N64 Goldeneye set up! I even have my SNES there for mario kart and bomberman. That house is like my dumping ground for old consoles!
  12. unleashedmaniac

unleashedmaniac Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I picked up a dreamcast boxed in excellent condition with around 4 games for £15 a couple of months back, legendary console.
  13. HiFiver

HiFiver Guest

Ratings:
    +0

DC's got a new lease of life now that most TV's have the ability to play 480P. Hook it up to a VGA box and you can have fun all over again. Rival Schools2, Shenmue, Demolition Racer, Headhunter, Ecco at HiDef Resolutions just have to be seen to be believed.
  14. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    Can't remember which bit you're in, it's been such a long time since I completed it.

But you're right the graphics and the draw-distance were just superb, the massive environments and the solid engine made for a wonderful game. Along with the humorous touches, of course, like the atomic toaster etc! :D
  15. bonzobanana

bonzobanana Active Member

Ratings:
    +222
    Shenmue and Shenmue II are two of the greatest gaming experiences in my life. Also try to download Propeller Arena. A simply superb multiplayer air combat game with a Crazy Taxi type feel. Half Life is worth a go too but does have some serious slowdown in places and lots of loading but still superb if you have the patience.
  16. fuzzybee

fuzzybee New Member

Ratings:
    +73
    Superb console, i have had a japanese version from just after it's original japanese release and just can't part with it.
    Some absolute classics, i love cranking up the amp and sticking on REZ or Cosmic Smash, it's a 2d fighter/shooter fans dream console.
    Games that play via VGA (all don't) look amazing, all the games listed are classics. Another i enjoyed was Sword of the Beserker, not a classic by any means just a very enjoyable hack and slash.
  17. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    I agree, I have both of those games and both are classics. I've actually got Rez on the PS2 as well as people were saying it was better - not in my eyes! :)
  18. HiFiver

HiFiver Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    There was a woman who wrote an infamous article
    regarding the PS2 version(sorry, can't remember her name now).Though the Dreamcast version was the original and the best visually, she and her partner played the PS2 version which featured a peripheral that, when strategically placed about her person, apparently added considerably to the gameplay experience.
  19. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    Lol - indeed I remember that very well! :laugh: It was extremely hard to get hold off though, don't know whether it was ever officially released here?
  20. monkeypete

monkeypete Member

Ratings:
    +14
    It wasn't, only got released in Japan. I did know someone who managed to get one though - it was pretty cool but you weren't really missing much if you didn't have it. :cool:
  21. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    Thought so - thanks for confirming that. They must go for a mint on fleabay nowadays, I must check it out!
  22. HiFiver

HiFiver Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Think if I was one of the women who had one, I'd be VERY reluctant to let it go..........
  23. Captain Beaky

Captain Beaky Member

Ratings:
    +54
    damn right to dust off the dreamcast - where else can you make a tit of yourself playing samba de amigo - great fun! the marraca is the instrument of gods! :thumbsup:
  24. HiFiver

HiFiver Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Too true, and don't forget the fishing rod controller-the instrument of the cods ! :thumbsup:
  25. Soundwave

Soundwave Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,119
    My dad loved the fishing games on the DC, I had to fight him some days to get the flaming thing back so I could play on it.

Not a bad gadget though.

Neil
  26. HiFiver

HiFiver Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    lol Sure your Dad wasn't the only one hooked by that game.
    Possible Wii remake on the cards ?
  27. bluraymond

bluraymond Member

Ratings:
    +44
    I still think Soul Calibur on DC has the most beautiful graphics and
    wouldn't look out of place on a PS3/Xbox360/wii. It just looks and
    plays like a dream, the dreamcast really was a great console.
  28. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    And if you play it via VGA it looks even better. Some of the best animations seen in a fighting game too! :thumbsup:
  29. HiFiver

HiFiver Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Also playable using the fishing rod controller.
  30. spidermanalf

spidermanalf Member

Ratings:
    +103
    As is Crazy Taxi ! Faster you wind, the faster you go!

I d/loaded Beats Of Rage Remix, a home brew game that is similar to Streets of Rage, but with a choice of Ryu or Chun Li and 2 King Of Fighter characters (don't know their names) but its a quality 2d scrolling beat em up!

It's a freeware game, I got mine from mininova.org! But I have just googled it (to try and show you some pics etc) and found this site with it for d/loading!

http://dchelp.net/index.php?id=bor