1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dune TV101/301 Q&A Thread

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Media Players' started by johan d, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. graham.myers

graham.myers Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +911
    HD Land have mis-reported in the past. We need confirmation from Dune themselves.
  2. whitac

whitac Member

Ratings:
    +0
    been far too late already! im deffinatly not gonna wait until April! If its not out soon im getting something else, been having a look round but not decided what yet.:thumbsdow
  3. johan d

johan d Member

Ratings:
    +2
  4. graham.myers

Ratings:
    +911
    IF its true
  5. Beryus

Beryus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I hope they didn't lie to you when they said it will be released soon. Strange company that doesn't even tells their licensed resellers something concrete.
    Dune loses confidence IMHO.

But ok...another question from me regarding yaDIS (i guess it's easy to answer so i don't want to ask it in any yaDIS forum):
    As stated it's possible to move movies from notebook via network to a attached usb HDD of a Dune player. Now my question. Can yaDIS access the movies stored on that usb HDD also over network? And export the dune interface too? So will everything work or is there anything to pay attention?

EDIT1:
    And another: Which is the aquivalent button on the Dune TV-101 remote to toggle between "keyboard" and "mouse" modes in web browser (on normal (larger) remote it's the "MODE"-button)

EDIT2:
    And one more: Shall I use FTP or SMB to access drives connected to the player from the LAN?

Regards
    Beryus
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  6. dspit1664

dspit1664 Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Graham is this because they do tell you yet your hand are tied due to NDA that you can't tell us ;) ?

If so must be a tad frustrating for you. !!!
  7. dune101

dune101 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark,
    tnx for your reply. Strange thing is I can easily browse my network with another media player (AC Ryan), but the Dune TV-101 won't... Any idea's?

Many thanks in advance, best rgds,
    Bart.
  8. sypack

sypack Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Can you change audio channels without going through the popup menu?
  9. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,025
    Not on the TV101 as it has a smaller remote that is missing the dedicated 'Audio' button that the other Dune player remotes have.

Mark.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. awink1

awink1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +249
    Although you should be able to to get that function if you have a Logitech Harmony remote, as the function is available on the 101, just not on the remote.
  11. sypack

sypack Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I have harmony remote :thumbsup:

Do you know how i can add this to the remote?
  12. awink1

awink1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +249
    Have you already added the 101 to your devices? check all the available button commands and it should be there, just select the button on your remote that you want to perform the command. If the command is not there, just replace the 101 with the Dune D1 (for example). The commands across the Dunes are all the same. I hope this helps.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. sypack

sypack Member

Ratings:
    +8
    thank you awink1, will do that :smashin:
  14. DECKARD71

DECKARD71 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    That is not possible. The 101 is 100mbps and 15MB are 120mbps. Even 12MB (96 mbps) is too high for a 100 mbps connection
  15. omenII

omenII Member

Ratings:
    +51
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a Dune TV 101 but can't find confirmation that this particular model can decode 5.1 AAC and output as 5.1 LPCM via. HDMI.

Can anyone here confirm that it does? Cheers.
  16. Trollslayer

Trollslayer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,428
    The highest Blu-ray bitrate I have seen is about 45Mbit/sec, I believe the specified maximum is 50Mbit/sec but don't quote me.
  17. Beryus

Beryus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

finally I bought a Dune TV-101 and now I really need your help because I am a little bit disappointed about the product.

1. My digital camera produces .avi-files containing a video-stream in M-JPEG codec and a audio-stream in ADPCM. So I tried to play back one of those files and I had to read "Error: format is not supported". Then I have found out that it is probably the M-JPEG codec because most media players (except e.g. WD TV Live SMP (2011)) do not support that codec. Now, if I keep want to keep the 101, I have to transcode/convert all my camera files. :(

2. I have many music files and all correctly tagged with ID3-tags and also with cover art in the ID3-tag. I played them back with the 101 and it just displayed a black screen with white writing and I heard the music. So no cover art and everything really ugly. :facepalm:

3. There is a nice gimmick: a full web browser. But how to use it? I know some people just tried it and ended up with moaning here. I have read a little bit on the official Dune web site and found out that there is a mouse AND a keyboard mode. Toggle between both modes by pressing "MODE" but there is no "MODE" button on the 101 remote. :suicide: And no aquivalent buttons are implemented in the latest firmware update (read changelog)

Ok, those are the most annoying things I have found so far. Can someone help me to at least work around some of those problems? :lease:
    MarkE19? graham.myers?

Regards
    Beryus
  18. Deri

Deri Member

Ratings:
    +0
    On the my-htpc website it now says "Due for release: End of Feb 2012". I have not seen any announcement on this thread yet, so wondered how firm that date was.
  19. DeepDiver

DeepDiver Member

Ratings:
    +100
  20. dspit1664

dspit1664 Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Great news. Finally a firm date.

Lets just see if this holds.

Thanks Graham for getting Dune to finally allow you to give some sort of date.

:clap::clap::clap::clap: Only 4 claps till they are here
  21. graham.myers

Ratings:
    +911
    lets hope they actually arrive! I think Dune will be glad to see the back of this too!
  22. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,025
    I think you have just found out the hard way that no media player will ever support every media format :thumbsdow
    I think your only options are to send the TV101 back and get a player that does support it (WDTV SMP?) or spend time converting your files to something the TV101 does support.
    Music replay has been covered many times on the forum as most of us want to use a media player to play more than just video files - shock statement to the media player makers: music files are actually a type of media :eek: . But as yet music replay has no option of cover art etc in the firmware, although the new firmware that's due soon 'might' have some improvements but we will have to wait and see as there are no announcements on it as yet.
    But if you are willing to pay for a music app then AFAIK the only one available for the Dune's is - Musicnizer 4.1 - The Best Music Organizer
    Did you know that you can use a USB keyboard & mouse on the Dune players? There is the official Dune Keyboard for around £55 or the Rii mini for around £25 to name a couple of good options.

Mark.
  23. Krank

Krank Active Member

Ratings:
    +446
    Hi Mark, are those keyboards any good? I could be tempted if they're half decent. I've had the briefest of looks at the browser tonight and it doesn't seem too bad apart from the navigation element which the keyboard would obviously rectify.
  24. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,025
    IMO yes they are good, but I probably wouldn't have bought one had I not had the chance to use it first as it wont get much use. But it is handy even when setting up shortcuts etc as you can use it to enter text there as well as in the browser (latest firmware only).
    A lot of people over at MPC Club have said that they use the Rii mini and find it very good, although I've only used the Dune Keyboard that has the extra remote keys which are handy, but at more than double the cost not exactly a cheap option.

Mark.
  25. Beryus

Beryus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First: Thanks for your detailed answers - much appreciated. The codec dilemma is sad but I want to stay with Dune (maybe the TV-301) because I like the "one-firmware-for-all-players"-ideology. So I guess I have to convert. :(

I already know that such keyboards exist but there must be a way to atleast use the built-in browser (even if it's difficult and time-consuming). I just need to know the button to toggle between the 2 modes. Maybe I have to get the TV-301 with the better remote containing the regular "MODE" button.

Regards
    Beryus
  26. sypack

sypack Member

Ratings:
    +8
    When is set the output to 1080p 24p or 23.976 the dune 101 becomes very slow. Is this a known issue?
  27. 406lx

406lx Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Is there any sign of Netflix being added?
  28. sWORDs

sWORDs Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Here is something I've tried Dune to answer, but got no response, might be helpful for others:
    Ticket #860: Dune TV-101 Playback and network issues

Tested with firmware 111122_0159_beta

Code:
    Brand Type (switchchip)                         Dune speed      PC speed

Asus GigaX 1108B (Broadcom BCM5398KPBG)         1,9-2,1 MB/s    45MB/s
    Zyxel GS-105B (Vitesse VSC7388XYU)              5,5-5,9 MB/s    45MB/s
    Linksys WRT54GX (Broadcom BCM5325A2)            5,7-5,8 MB/s    11MB/s
    Linksys e4200v1 (Broadcom BCM53115)             8,2-8,6 MB/s    45MB/s
    The pc speeds would have been much higher if I didn't use a laptop with a crappy hd. My normal PC with an SSD gives 100+ MB/s on the same sourcefile. All pc speeds measured on the same lan cable, same switch port and same source file as on the Dune. Fast SMB setting on Dune made no significant difference with these switches. The Linksys e4200v1 is a complete different device then the v2 (Marvell 88E6171R), I don't know how the e4200v2 performes with the Dune, because I don't own one.
    This table really worries me, the switchchips in the Asus and Zyxel are very common, but even with the Zyxel I could only play BD's with a bitrate <35Mbit. The Asus only played until 12Mbit.

With the Linksys I can play BD's with a peek bitrate of 55Mbit without buffer issues, however I do get HD bitstream sound issues after a while.
    Using PCM decode also doesn't work, PCM decode will only do stereo, even when 5.1 is selected and even with normal DTS.

• So is there a 5 &#8211; 8 port switch that's tested and recommended? I'd really like 88-95Mbit to be able to playback high bitrate scenes.
    • Could someone have a look at the buffering? There is such a great difference between average network speed and playable peek bitrate that I think the buffers are probably to small.
    • Could someone have a look at the fast SMB setting? It seems broken, or make no impact for my switches.
    • Could someone have a look at the NIC and it settings? It seems wrong that the most common switchchips are so slow.
    • Could someone check the PCM decode? Multichannel seems broken. My receiver (Onkyo 1008) supports Multi Channel LPCM 24 bit 96 KHz, but all I get is stereo.
    • Can someone have a look at HD audio playback with high bitrate files? TrueHD starts to sound "funny" and "squeaky" after a few minutes and DTS-MA drops out. Even normal DTS gives problems after an hour or so, even with small (9GB) files.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  29. IAmATeaf

IAmATeaf Member

Ratings:
    +9
    So Graham, any chance that Dune will offer a goodwill discount for all the people like me who have waited for the 301 to be released?
  30. dspit1664

dspit1664 Member

Ratings:
    +57

Nice question how will they gauge who gets one ?

I was going to buy one and may do sometime but for now that is on hold. Am I eligible for one just because I was but for now no longer buying ?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.