Dune HD Smart H1 connecting to windows 7 PC

my IP address on my computer is the IPv4 Address when using ipconfig correct?
Correct - however if you have a dynamic IP address this will change from time to time and the network folder will then be lost. Set a static IP or use the network device name
Also, whats does the syntax of the share name folder? for example if its C:\downloads\tv
This isn't needed, you just need to enter the share name you gave when you set the share up
how do I find my username in windows 7?
How did you log on to the PC :p
If the PC auto logs on when it boots then you can just leave it blank on the Dune as long as the share is set to allow access for everyone.

Mark.

Amazing, thank you guys. It finally works.

Now if I could only find out why the 200mb homeplug I have connected to the dune only lets me transfer at about 1mb a sec then i'd be happy.

Common reason for poor performance with Homeplugs:
Are they plugged directly into a wall socket or an extension lead? Ideally they should be direct in a wall socket, but if an extension is used it definately should not be a surge protected extension.
The data should cross from one ringmain to another ok, but it normally wont pass through a different consumer board (aka fuse box).
How old is the house wiring? If it is old and in poor condition then Homeplugs can have trouble working well.

Other than that have you read the Homeplugs FAQ?
http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/731564-homeplug-faq.html

Mark.

Thanks for all the help Mark, it looks like I have a 4 way extension on both ends of the home plug so i'll see if changing that helps at all.

I reconnected the homeplugs, and installed the software which shows me a rate of 139Mbps with a quality of 60-80% however if I try and copy an 800mb file over I only get around 1.65mb per second transfer speed. Is this about right? I would have thought it would be around 20mb per second.

I also get a bit of stutters when trying to watch a full HD movie over the connection on the PC.

Last edited:
MB/s or mbps?

1MB/s = 8mbps
MB = MegaByte
mb = megabit
so no room for any confusion there then :rolleyes:

Also worth mentioning that all Dune players except for the TV301 only have 100mbps LAN ports, so even if the rest of your network was gigabit you still wouldn't get gigabit speeds to/from the Dune.
I'm not sure what speeds you should expect transfering media to an internal HDD as all my media is on my server with no HDD in my Dune.

Mark.

it says 136mbps but tranfers at 1.6MB/s

I have all the media on the internal drive inside the dune H1 but would like to add files to it without having to take the disk out and putting it into the caddy on the PC but moving a simple movie takes 10mins

When in the Sources tab just press the pop-up menu button on the remote and select 'New Network Folder' then add the details:
Name: what you want the folder to be called on the Dune
Type: I use SMB as that is part of Windows, but other prefer NFS but you need toi install another program on the PC for this to be supported
Server: the IP address or network name of the device (PC, NAS or server) that has the folder you want to access
Folder: the share name of the folder you want to add to the Dune
User: a valid username on your PC/NAS/Server
Password: a valid password for the above username.

If the share is set to 'everyone' and you have an account without a password then the username/password can be left blank.

Mark.

Excellent instructions, Mark (I don't mean just the quoted bit but the whole step-by-step assistance you gave here)--but this wasn't enough for me. I also had to make a registry value change to make network shares visible from my Dune Smart B1. I found the solution on a cnet forum.

For step-by-step instructions, see serendipitee's post (from 1/24/10) in this thread. In same thread see also my recent post with a few additional details.

And these are the (same) instructions from Microsoft, only they're supposed to address a totally different issue.

Now I can finally see my entire E drive (which is connected via USB to my Windows 8 PC) from my Dune Smart B1. Please note that the drive (or any other shared folders) are still not visible via the Dune Network Browser--I had to make a 'New Network Folder' from the Source screen (as explained by Mark above). I can only access it through that shortcut, but it works! It's a 3TB drive, which means it doesn't work well if connected directly, via USB, to the Dune (the player sees it but it cannot play some 50% of the files on it), hence the need to access it via network sharing.

Needless to say, make sure you also have Sharing and Permissions set correctly before you attempt to access your shares from the Dune (or any other player, for that matter--this is a Windows problem, not a Dune problem; seems to me only the Network Browser issue is Dune-specific).

Before trying this, I did everything suggested on this and other forums and nothing worked--it was driving me crazy. I'm grateful to the user who posted this solution on cnet. Please note I'm not a frequent user here--I might not see questions or replies in a timely manner. I only registered to spread the word. Hope it works for everyone who's had a hard time with this.

Last edited:
When in the Sources tab just press the pop-up menu button on the remote and select 'New Network Folder' then add the details:
Name: what you want the folder to be called on the Dune
Type: I use SMB as that is part of Windows, but other prefer NFS but you need toi install another program on the PC for this to be supported
Server: the IP address or network name of the device (PC, NAS or server) that has the folder you want to access
Folder: the share name of the folder you want to add to the Dune
User: a valid username on your PC/NAS/Server
Password: a valid password for the above username.

If the share is set to 'everyone' and you have an account without a password then the username/password can be left blank.

Mark.

yeaah!
i also had trouble with this but your guide fixed it.
thank you so much Mark :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom