Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dune HD Smart H1 connecting to windows 7 PC

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Media Players' started by rgrebby, Feb 22, 2012.

1. rgrebby

rgrebby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can see the windows machine over the network but it doesnt show any drives.

Any advice?
  2. awink1

awink1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +251
    I presume you have shared the drives, right?
  3. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,065
    And the shares have read access for 'Everyone' set?
    If you don't want access without a username/password then you can create a shortcut to the shares and enter a user/pass in the setup.

Mark.
  4. rgrebby

rgrebby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I had but im guessing not, for some reason I thought it was a case of right clicking the folder and clicking share but there isnt an option for that. I feel like im being really dumb! Do I need to set up a homegroup?

edit, if I goto my network on the windows 7 PC it shows a folder that I previously shared and the users folder so something is shared.
  5. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,065
    Some folders you can just right click on to share, but not all. For example I have a shortcut on my desktop to a folder and I can't share the shortcut. I also have my Library (ie contains documents, downloads, music etc folders) on my desktop but can't share that. However all the individual folders in my Library can be shared.
    Nope - Homegroup is Win7 unique so wont help for accesing shares from another non Win7 device such as your Dune.
    Do you have user access controls set for your shares, ie do you need to use a username & password to access them from other devices?
    If you right click on the folder and select 'Properties' and then click on the 'Sharing' tab. Then click the 'Advanced sharing' button and put a tick in the 'Share this folder' box and give the share a name. Then click on the 'Permissions' button and give a valid user at least 'Read' permission - I just give 'Everyone' read permission so no logon details are required on my Dune to access the shares.

Hope this helps,
    Mark.
  6. rgrebby

rgrebby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    this is really odd as there is no sharing tab on the folder thats shared. I cant for some reason remove the folder as a shared folder any more either.

I managed to shar another folder and did the above suggestion and still nothing.

When on the Dune player I goto Network, SMB, WORKGROUP, mypc name, and there is nothing.

I can see other computers as well that are switched on when I click workgroup as well but I see nothing and I know they have folders shared as I can access them from the PC.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  7. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,065
    Is your PC in a Workgroup? - IIRC by default a Win7 PC isn't.

To join a Workgroup:
    right click on 'Computer' and select 'Properties' (or 'Control Panel' > System' gets you to the same place)
    click on 'Advanced system settings' on the left hand side
    click on the 'Computer Name' tab
    this should tell you if the PC is in a Workgroup, and if so what it is called.
    if not in a Workgroup then click on 'Change' and under 'Member of' click the Workgroup and enter a Workgroup name to the same name as the Workgroup the Dune is in - from Dune:
    Setup > Applications > SMB Server
    Enabled: Yes
    Server name:
    Server description:
    Workgroup: <same as for PC>

I've also had empty shares when trying to browse to my PC and found creating a shortcut to them on the Dune was more reliable.

Mark.
  8. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,065
    If in doubt reboot the PC - this does solve a lot of Windows problems :rolleyes:

Mark.
  9. rgrebby

rgrebby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    it says im part of the workgroup called WORKGROUP how do I get rid of that?

When on the dune I click network, smb and I see dune and workgroup in there if that helps.

edit.

Ok I changed the workgroup on the Dune player to WORKGROUP and still nothing.

When clicking network browser on the dune player and then SMB it shows DUNE and WORKGROUP,
    I can see the dune drives when I click DUNE

and I can see the two computers I have on right now when I click WORKGROUP however neither of them show any connected disks.

What is this SMB thing, why cant I just use a standard network browser program?
  10. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,065
    SMB aka Samba is the standard Windows networking protocole.

Try rebooting both the PC and Dune to see if it picks up the new Workgroup. But as I said previously I found creating a new shortcut to the PC shares far more reliable.

Mark.
  11. rgrebby

rgrebby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    for some reason clicking the popup menu doesnt offer any option to add shortcut.
  12. awink1

awink1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +251
    You can only add shortcuts for folders or files in a share, not the shared disc.
    You can also use the blue button to add the shortcut
  13. rgrebby

rgrebby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So it looks like im totally out of luck in accessing the computer hard disk. I had hoped that this player could do it :(
  14. awink1

awink1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +251
    No, what you need to do is create general folderd like Movies and TV series in that HDD and copy your files in there.
    You then create a shortcut to Movies and another one for Tv series, it really is very simple. I have access to all the files and folders I want, but you need to create a structure. It'll all be ok, don't despair or give up.
    Then once you've set it up it'll be all at your fingertips mate :)
  15. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,065
    Where are you when trying to create the shortcut?
    You need to be on the Sources tab with Network selected and then the shortcut option should be on the pop-up menu.

As said don't despair - that's my job :D

When doing this for the first time myself I felt like I was hitting my head against a brick wall, but then I did something and it all just fell into place. You will get there in the end if you don't give up :smashin:

Mark.
  16. rgrebby

rgrebby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    oh boy, I just wrote a long reply but it failed to send...

I can see my shared folder from my laptop without any problems but just not from the damn dune player :(

There is no way to add a shortcut when highlighting the network browser.

If I click pop up menu I get the option to add a network folder but im guessing i'd have to add the ip address or something.

and there is no option to click add favorite using the blue button

if any of you guys are on skype and wouldnt mind chatting with me to help get this sorted that would be amazing.
  17. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,065
    Well 'add network folder' or 'create shortcut' are really the same - a shortcut is to an app such as Zappiti, but the network folder is a link to a folder on another device.

Yes you do need to tell the Dune the details of the device you want to connect to, but this can be the network name of the device or its IP address - although if using dynamic address this will likely change at some point so IMO using the devices network name is a better bet.

Mark.
  18. rgrebby

rgrebby Member

Ratings:
    +0

oh so maybe im doing the completly the wrong thing then. Does this mean you cant use the network browser as is to view files on another computer?
  19. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,065
    As long as the 'other computer' has shared folders then yes you can use the network browser. It just seems to not be as reliable as creating a 'network folder' as I sometimes get empty folders from the Dune via the browser, even when there are file in the folder :confused:

Mark.
  20. rgrebby

rgrebby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Im still trying to get this to work, I cant seem to find out how to add a network drive on the player as there is no option to.
  21. Big_Si_Owen

Big_Si_Owen Member

Ratings:
    +244
    You'll find it on the front page by using the pop up menu button. (took me a bi of looking to find it first time too)
  22. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,065
    When in the Sources tab just press the pop-up menu button on the remote and select 'New Network Folder' then add the details:
    Name: what you want the folder to be called on the Dune
    Type: I use SMB as that is part of Windows, but other prefer NFS but you need toi install another program on the PC for this to be supported
    Server: the IP address or network name of the device (PC, NAS or server) that has the folder you want to access
    Folder: the share name of the folder you want to add to the Dune
    User: a valid username on your PC/NAS/Server
    Password: a valid password for the above username.

If the share is set to 'everyone' and you have an account without a password then the username/password can be left blank.

Mark.
  23. rgrebby

rgrebby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks i'll give that a go, back in a tick
  24. rgrebby

rgrebby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    found the pop up menu, im just having trouble getting the details correct.

my IP address on my computer is the IPv4 Address when using ipconfig correct?

Also, whats does the syntax of the share name folder? for example if its C:\downloads\tv

how do I find my username in windows 7?
  25. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,065
    Well hurry up - I haven't got all night you know, the pubs calling :devil:

Mark.
  26. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,065
    Correct - however if you have a dynamic IP address this will change from time to time and the network folder will then be lost. Set a static IP or use the network device name
    This isn't needed, you just need to enter the share name you gave when you set the share up
    How did you log on to the PC :p
    If the PC auto logs on when it boots then you can just leave it blank on the Dune as long as the share is set to allow access for everyone.

Mark.
  27. rgrebby

rgrebby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Amazing, thank you guys. It finally works.

Now if I could only find out why the 200mb homeplug I have connected to the dune only lets me transfer at about 1mb a sec then i'd be happy.
  28. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,065
    Common reason for poor performance with Homeplugs:
    Are they plugged directly into a wall socket or an extension lead? Ideally they should be direct in a wall socket, but if an extension is used it definately should not be a surge protected extension.
    The data should cross from one ringmain to another ok, but it normally wont pass through a different consumer board (aka fuse box).
    How old is the house wiring? If it is old and in poor condition then Homeplugs can have trouble working well.

Other than that have you read the Homeplugs FAQ?
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/731564-homeplug-faq.html

Mark.
  29. rgrebby

rgrebby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the help Mark, it looks like I have a 4 way extension on both ends of the home plug so i'll see if changing that helps at all.
  30. rgrebby

rgrebby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I reconnected the homeplugs, and installed the software which shows me a rate of 139Mbps with a quality of 60-80% however if I try and copy an 800mb file over I only get around 1.65mb per second transfer speed. Is this about right? I would have thought it would be around 20mb per second.

I also get a bit of stutters when trying to watch a full HD movie over the connection on the PC.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012