Dune HD Base 3D - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PalmiNio

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

Kind of all new here but allways check AVforums before buying stuff. I have been on a quest for a good and stable 3D media streamer since I got my 3D TV. No extra extra was needed. I've tried the A-400 but with mixed results.

So now in my home i got the first sample from the first batch of Dune HD Base 3D. I don't know why but it seems that the Nordics has recieved a batch before other regions.

This is my setup:
- Dune HD Base 3D
- Onkyo TX-NR515
- LG 60PM970T
- 2 pair Samsung glasses
- Wired connection

My first testfile:

The file is shared from my Win 7 computer via SMB. At first the player couldn't find the folders in my computer but after adding the network folder manualy there was no problem.

Base 3D gave me a list of the ISO chapter list (BD lite) a stated 3D on the main chapter. On enter the movie started within 3-4s and my TV recieved the 3D signal and alerted me to start my glasses. So the 3D connection worked flawless.

The player was set to bitstream and the DTS-MA logo turned on red on my Onkyo reciever.

After 1 hour watching with subs on - no problem. Avarage bitrate around 45 and peak above 85. No buffering issues, no drop outs, no problems at all. Only thing was a 4s lag when turning on subs.

Is this the player I have been waiting on? seems so.

I am no expert at 3D so my question is simple: What more do you think I should test?

Questions that got replies
- How does the GUI look
- Does external subs work when internal exists
- Jellyfish sample 120Mbps
- TrueHD testing
- WiFi Speed Test
- Wired Speed Test
- Internal audio decoding of DTS-MA/True HD to PCM

Things that did not work:
- MKV MVC 3D
- Hi10p

Last edited:
4 images from my unboxing.

Attachments

• bild.JPG
    bild.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 5,492
  • bild1.JPG
    bild1.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 5,722
  • bild2.JPG
    bild2.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 10,396
  • bild3.JPG
    bild3.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 12,636
Thanks for the brief review, it sure looks interesting :).

Thanks for the brief review, it sure looks interesting :).

No problem.

Other initial inputs:
- Very basic meny system
- Quick respons
- Feels very robust jumping in and out of movies
- The connection feels very stable, never any buffering
- Some good options
- 3D seems very good, when doing simple OU 3D and SBS 3D the player can tell it to the TV instead of me using the TV remote

Welcome to the forum PalmiNio :hiya: - well as an active member at least :D

What a great start to your posting on here - I bet there are a lot of very jealous people still waiting on the delivery of their Base 3D.

After all the initial problems stated with the PCH A-400 this does seem to be doing it right from the off. I think Dune needed this to work from day one as they are fairly late to the 3D party, and with all the bad reports of the A-400 I think a lot of people were put off paying a lot of money for the new 3D Sigma players when the cheaper Realtek players such as the Mede8er are working so well.

So well done Dune - and thanks PalmiNio for the mini review :thumbsup:

Mark.

@palminio

can you try to test steaming from pc/nas the jellyfish files 110/ 120mbps
Jellyfish Bitrate Test Files

does the player handle Blu rays mkv 3Dsbs or 3dTB ?
how about true-hd audio ?
There an app to control the dune 3d ?
jukebox?

where did you order yours?

im just interested in streaming capacities, doesnt care about local hard drive.

regards

Last edited:
@palminio

can you try to test steaming from pc/nas the jellyfish files 110/ 120mbps
Jellyfish Bitrate Test Files

does the player handle Blu rays mkv 3Dsbs or 3dTB ?
how about true-hd audio ?
There an app to control the dune 3d ?
jukebox?

im just interested in streaming capacities, doesnt care about local hard drive.

regards

- SBS and TB
SBS or TB can be chosen when playing mkv 3D. The right command in then transmitted to the TV that shows the picture correct.

- Jelly Sample
110 and 120 version worked without problems via Samba and wired connection.

- App
Dune HD RC on Appstore works

Last edited:
Jelly Sample 110 ans 120 over Samnba - No problem!

Still wired connection.

Attachments

• Jelly110.JPG
    Jelly110.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 8,783
  • Jelly120.JPG
    Jelly120.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 3,428
Last edited:
Did a readtest over Samba.

It posts 27MB/s. Very impressive network speed if correct!

Attachments

• read.JPG
    read.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 8,326
Can you please test external subtitles with 2d iso, 3d iso, 3d mkv frame packed.

Thank you

Can you please test external subtitles with 2d iso, 3d iso, 3d mkv frame packed.

Thank you

How do I do that? You mean having a sub file in the sam folder as the iso file?

- Do you have a 3D mkv frame packed file i can use?

Last edited:
I've not had any hands on experience with either the A-400 or Base 3D - but from what I've been reading in the A-400 thread the Dune is wiping the floor performance wise with it :thumbsup:

Mark.

How do I do that? You mean having a sub file in the sam folder as the iso file?

- Do you have a 3D mkv frame packed file i can use?

Yes. Correct.

For example name an srt subtitle the same name with you avatar iso (e.g. avatar.srt if your iso is avatar.iso) and see if you can enable it during playback both for 2d and 3d playing.
You can use makemkv to convert avatar to mkv frame packed.

I've not had any hands on experience with either the A-400 or Base 3D - but from what I've been reading in the A-400 thread the Dune is wiping the floor performance wise with it :thumbsup:

Mark.

the rumors about dune 3d (sigma 8672) being more stable than popcorn (sigma 8911) looks like its true

@palminio

can you confirm does jellyfish test 120mbps are done over samba streaming from your pc ?

what retailer did order the dune 3d ?

the rumors about dune 3d (sigma 8672) being more stable than popcorn (sigma 8911) looks like its true

@palminio

can you confirm does jellyfish test 120mbps are done over samba streaming from your pc ?

what retailer did order the dune 3d ?

Yes the 120 sample from my win 7 computer over Samba. Wired connection via router and a switch.

I know the official distributor in the Nordics and they wanted me to take it out on a spin.

Last edited:
Yes. Correct.

For example name an srt subtitle the same name with you avatar iso (e.g. avatar.srt if your iso is avatar.iso) and see if you can enable it during playback both for 2d and 3d playing.
You can use makemkv to convert avatar to mkv frame packed.

Going for dinner. Will try it out later!

Does the menu shows any info about the hardware?
does it have xbmc jukebox ?
does it run intel chip or sigma ?

Dune HD werkt aan Intel-mediaspeler met XBMC en blu-ray | Beeld en geluid | Tweakers

haha :thumbsup:......

Palminio, I hope you had a good dinner. At some point could you check to see if the Dune can play MKV MVC 3D files? Although relatively new i think, this type of file has become popular with Mede8er users as not only do they save space on the drive over the full iso's, but it helps eliminate any problems encountered with branched titles. They can be created using MakeMKV.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
I was wondering the same thing , as much as I love my new mede8er im always looking for the next best thing :rotfl:

I was wondering the same thing , as much as I love my new mede8er im always looking for the next best thing :rotfl:

haha, yeah always! There has been many times i have been very close to buying the Mede8er but knowing they are constantly improving the A400 and that the Dunes werent far away i have managed to resist so far. Ive been quite proud of myself!

does it have xbmc jukebox ?
No! Dune have only just announced that they will be using an XBMC front end on the Max 3D and possibly the Dune Pro - if either of them ever get released. But they have never (AFAIK) stated XBMC for any other models.
does it run intel chip or sigma ?
100% definately a Sigma - the SMP8672/3 to be exact, and these specs were released a fair while ago and can be seen on the Dune website - Dune HD Media Player - Dune HD Base 3D | Dune HD
Yet again only the Max 3D is stated as using an Intel chip.

Mark.

No! Dune have only just announced that they will be using an XBMC front end on the Max 3D and possibly the Dune Pro - if either of them ever get released. But they have never (AFAIK) stated XBMC for any other models.

100% definately a Sigma - the SMP8672/3 to be exact, and these specs were released a fair while ago and can be seen on the Dune website - Dune HD Media Player - Dune HD Base 3D | Dune HD
Yet again only the Max 3D is stated as using an Intel chip.

Mark.

i quoted what Couto said and laughed as it looked like he was asking if the menu where Palminio was going out for dinner had that info on :)

i quoted what Couto said and laughed as it looked like he was asking if the menu where Palminio was going out for dinner had that info on :)

:D:D dinner´s menu :D

got mixed up with Base 3D and MAX 3D (ces 2013)

Have anything with TRUEHD to test, seems after the DTS-HD fix on the A400 people with truehd started having issues.

Do you have Prometheus 3D or avengers 3D.

I await more people for tests did these start shipping already or did you get on early some how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom