Dulux Icestorm paint

B&Q sell it also but you have to get mixed for you i know as i have just painted all the walls in my home cinema setup in the garage:)

Just finished painting my MDF screen in Icestorm and must admit that it does a really good job. Still have my black border to paint but overall I would say that Icestorm 6 is a good shade to use. I have a Sony VPL-VW12HT in case anyone was curious :)

Any recommendations for painting the wall a good colour to absorb most of the overspill from using it in a full through mode? Don't think my wife is too keen on an international matt black wall! lol

Originally posted by Steviemac
Just finished painting my MDF screen in Icestorm and must admit that it does a really good job. Still have my black border to paint but overall I would say that Icestorm 6 is a good shade to use. I have a Sony VPL-VW12HT in case anyone was curious :)

Any recommendations for painting the wall a good colour to absorb most of the overspill from using it in a full through mode? Don't think my wife is too keen on an international matt black wall! lol

How about a dark Midnight blue in matt :laugh:

Seriously, anything as long as it's not a too light and go for a matt finish if possible. Black gloss will still reflect more light then powder blue matt.

Thinking about painting a wall in Ice Storm 6 ready for when i get a projector but i am a little confused. From what ive seen it looks kinda grey, can someone explain to me why this works well for a projected image? I would have thought white would have worked better? :rolleyes:

Thanks.... noobie ere

I'm goin for a InFocus X2 projector aswell, if anyone wants to make any comments on that decision. £415 from the US when i go there in a couple of weeks.

Hi Sean
Bulbed projectors tend to have a raised black level, due to light leakage past/from the panel(s).

This can give a glow to blacks in dark scenes, and can even wash out the picture slightly.

One thing bulbed projectors normally have in spades is brightness, and some can be spared to get a better black level.

Using a grey screen is a way of lowering the overall light output from the projector.
Black appear blacker, and colours can seem more saturated.
But whites will also appear duller, so you have to try and match your projector and you own preferences.

Some people use neutral density filters in front of the projection lens to achieve the same thing.
But one advantage the grey screen offers is that also helps to reject reflected/ambient light in the room.

Thankfully, the need for grey screens is coming to an end.
The new generation 3000-1 + (contrast) projectors seem fine on normal 1.0-1.3 gain white screens.
Also, new designs using variable iris's can automatically reduce the light output from the projector during dark scenes. :smashin:

Nice one : )

I understood nearly all of that aswell. By 3000- + 1 do you mean Lumens? Brightness Output?

Oh right, not sure if i like the idea of having paint made up, id be worried it would vary from what dulux intended and would be abit crud. Might have no choice tho unless they do it by tin at Homebase or somethin

Hi Sean
The 3000-1 is "On-Off" contrast.
This figure is made from the projectors lowest light output to the highest light output.
ie if showing a black image it had 1 lumen, and 700 lumens when showing a white image, then it would be classed as 700-1 etc.

The first low figure is the most important for good black response.
No point having a 1 lumen starting point (for home cinema), even if it does then go to 3000 lumens.(3000-1 etc)
These machines are for very large screens!

With 3000-1 (and above) and about 450 lumens, only the darkest prolonged scenes show digitals limitations.

Don't worry about having the paint mixed up for you. The Dulux mixing machine is very very accurate.
I have found i can visit any store and have the exact same mix made.

I've just purchased some Ice storm 6 but i wasn't sure if i should get the matt finish or the vinyl silk. i ended up going for the vinyl silk but Im not sure if I've done the right thing.

I only used Matt for the screen.
I'm not sure if Silk would show up any imperfections on the screen/board/wall.

You may as well try it! :)

Silk could work as has a slightly reflective finish. However, you may get some hot spots and you may see the bulb refect in the screen.

Give it a try and report back please.

Cap.

well i was planning on taking it back and swapping it for the matt. I dont really want to waste my money.

Vinyl Silk is quite reflective, more like an acrylic gloss.

Vinyl Matt should work but if you want a totally none reflective surface you should try Dulux Supermatt (not available in many colours) or Dulux Flat Matt (lots of colours, but might be only available in the trade paint and not retail)

What should you be looking for in a colour to paint the wall? If you let me know I can check the recipe for this colour and see what it contains.

Regards

Joel

I remember from reading about icestorm paint for projector screens some time ago and followed advice then and painted my screen with icestorm 5.5 (half 5 and half 6) and this gave an excellent result. I thought 6 was just a little too dark if I recall correctly.

Jbev said:
Vinyl Silk is quite reflective, more like an acrylic gloss.

Vinyl Matt should work but if you want a totally none reflective surface you should try Dulux Supermatt (not available in many colours) or Dulux Flat Matt (lots of colours, but might be only available in the trade paint and not retail)

What should you be looking for in a colour to paint the wall? If you let me know I can check the recipe for this colour and see what it contains.

Regards

Joel

I think Dulux call it Rich Matt now?! (it being Vinyl Matt... not heard of the other Matts!)

I used Brilliant White Rich Matt... (I think!)

...PJ

Hi,

I moved to the US, and have been looking for some icestorm dulux paint. I finally found a retailer, but they ve never heard of IceStorm.
Apparently the name can change from continent to continent !!! Anyway, it seems that every color has a code formed of 2 numbers, 2 letters and then 2 numbers/3 numbers (exemple : 12AB 34/567). Does any one of you who used icestorm 5 or 6, has this number so I can get the right color... hopefully ?

Thanks for the help,

Fransisco

You might want to consider alternative paints - especially if you're over in the US now. There's a LOT of discussion of DIY screen development on avsforum with several mixes available. They should give you much better performance than just the standard icestorm paint. I'm hoping to paint a Canadian Gray screen myself when I get my projector.

See here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=110

dunamis

fransisco said:
Hi,

I moved to the US, and have been looking for some icestorm dulux paint. I finally found a retailer, but they ve never heard of IceStorm.
Apparently the name can change from continent to continent !!! Anyway, it seems that every color has a code formed of 2 numbers, 2 letters and then 2 numbers/3 numbers (exemple : 12AB 34/567). Does any one of you who used icestorm 5 or 6, has this number so I can get the right color... hopefully ?

Thanks for the help,

Fransisco

You can see the icestorms here and order swatches (they may post to States) but no codes, sorry

http://www.dulux.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...10752&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&hueId=Neutral

Next time I'm in Homebase I'll see if I can find out,

Dave

Hi just gave my local B&Q a bell for you.He gave me these code numbers for you.Hope they are what you aer looking for

Ice storm 5 00NN 53000

Ice storm 6 00NN 72000

Cant remember if the the first 2 00 are numbers or letters so try them both ways.Hope this helps.That link to the avs forums the equivelent to av forums must have something for you as they must diy there own screens and walls.Hope this helps.

If you want to you could give them a bell yourself. Tel No 0870 243 5260 you will have to enter the international numbers as well.Have fun.

Thanks for the answers !!!!
I called the retailer with those two codes, and it seems they have the paint. The funny things is that the equivalent of icestorm 5 and 6 correspond here to two different color (veil and snowfield) !!!. I ll go to the store check them out.
I will also browse the avforum for more info on local DIY screen paint.

Thanks again..

Fransisco

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom