Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Edge Safety Razors and Shaving

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by Hitby, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Insanity202

Insanity202 Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,247
    So far I like the supermax titanium.:smashin:
    I just need to work on my method for the lower part of my neck as I seem to nip that the most.
  2. Inferno

Inferno Active Member

Ratings:
    +809
    The profs yellow ginger is gorgeous, i have some of his universal shaving balsam thats good as well, crikey i have nivea asb about 4 bottles l'oreal men expert asb sanex asb but thats near gone and i cant source anymore :(.

I have several of blightys aftershaves but not harlequin what does that smell like??

And i forgot i also have shark ss blades too :).
  3. balidey

balidey Active Member

Ratings:
    +360
    I'd never had an aftershave until I got Prof's Harlequin. I can't really describe smells well, but its fruity and floral, but still quite masculine. I love it and am really unsure about when its run out whether to just get the same or try some of his others.
    I'll definitely be getting some of his soap too.
  4. Inferno

Inferno Active Member

Ratings:
    +809
    Oh defo get some of his others there very nice indeed.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Mr.D

Mr.D Active Member

Ratings:
    +968
    Doesn't hurt me but I too have come to the conclusion its not worth it. Then again I hardly ever nick myself.
  6. Inferno

Inferno Active Member

Ratings:
    +809

I used it a few years ago when i couldn't lather up properly to save my life, and i used to get razor burn like stink and it used to sting like a swarm of bees, but now i use witch hazel on the very odd occasion that i do have a mare of a shave as its much more gentle and i hardly ever nick myself anymore anyway unless i'm being gung ho and straight shaving.
  7. Hitby

Hitby Active Member

Ratings:
    +508
    alum doesn't sting me at all :S It tastes pretty rank if you get it on your lips though. I use it on a wet face then follow up with moisturiser.
  8. Simba

Simba Active Member

Ratings:
    +399
    I hate the feeling I get the day after the shave. Hard to describe it. Kind of oily but not really...

Anyone else experience something similar?
  9. Paul_T

Paul_T Active Member

Ratings:
    +757
    I think Alum will sting if you're new to DE shaving - when you take the "top off" of the ingrowing hairs caused by cartridge razors, you'd expect them to sting and bleed a little.
  10. kendun

kendun Member

Ratings:
    +22
    If you are in India now, you could try to buy 7'O'Clock platinum blades and you could try Godrej shaving creams(I think there are three or four options). I don't know whether Park Avenue shaving products are still available as they used to be decent as well.

All these items would be a lot cheaper in wholesale shops, these are the non-descript shops in the market areas.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,500
    Correction to earlier posts; meant to say Thayers witch hazel :blush: Purchased from here, fast delivery: Thayers - LuxeBC.com
    That's the beauty of everyone being unique. My personal experience is

Thayers witch hazel > alum block > CF AS > par for course high street brand names
  12. Inferno

Inferno Active Member

Ratings:
    +809
    But distilled witch hazel is only £2.50 from ncc or £2.15 in lloyds, thayers is a luxury at 4 times ish the price and the smell dies after minutes without cologne or aftershave on top of it and if you do what was the point of getting a scented one, i have had a bottle of thayers previously.

If you can get a good shave without any cuts nicks or burn alum or witch hazel is not needed anyway just your asb or moisturiser then your smelly if you want it.
  13. Dave M

Dave M Active Member

Ratings:
    +507
    Might be a daft question but do you use both sides of the blade? Turn it over?
  14. Inferno

Inferno Active Member

Ratings:
    +809
    Yes i do anyway. i also alternate the side i am using when 1 side is full of cream i turn it round then when that side is full of cream i rinse it in the sink and turn it round blah blah, then next time i use it i turn it over.

I get at least 2 shaves per blade then usually bin it for a fresh blade, but i have a heavy stubble, you may get 4 or 5 shaves from each blade.
  15. blimp

blimp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What is the difference between a closed DE razor and an open one?

And do they give a different shave?
  16. balidey

balidey Active Member

Ratings:
    +360
    I guess you mean the 'TTO' or twist to open.
    Basically the difference is the way you put the blade in. A TTO you turn the handle and the top opens up to drop a blade in. A 'normal' razor you have to unscrew the top from the handle and put the blade in and then screw it together.

Neither of these gives a real difference to the shave. You will find that each TTO razor shaves differently and each fixed razor shaves differently. Its not like TTO are better or worse, just.... different.

I have a couple of TTO and about 4 (I think) fixed. You will notice differences in shaves from one razor to the next. Some razors shave differently with different blades.

One thing that is worth considering is an adjustable. Usually these are TTO and they have a dial that alters the angle of the blade, so you can go from mild to agressive to suit. I have a Gillette Slim adjustable and I think its fantastic. Yet I still often use one of my 'fixed' type.

ETA: Just realised you may have meant an open comb or closed bar type. If this is the case, then again neither is better than the other. Of the ones I have, the open comb is much more agressive than the very mild Gillette Tech. But its got nothing to do with the comb, its the shape of the razor.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  17. Inferno

Inferno Active Member

Ratings:
    +809
    Closed comb (safety bar) you get better protection from the blade, the safety bar will supposedly keep the skin tight meaning you have a flatter surface of skin to shave.

Open comb (rake) are supposedly more aggressive but it has no safety bar (it has open teeth) to protect your skin from the blade, the teeth guide the hair to the blade and cut more closely but more lather can get through the teeth for better glide.

I use both depending on the amount of stubble i have.
  18. blimp

blimp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I see. Yes, I think I meant open and closed combs. I'm going to buy the cheapo at Wilkinsons the next time I go to town. If I don't get on with it, it isn't much to lose.

What I've been using up to now, for years, is the Bic safety razor, single blade. I find these very satisfactory except for one patch under my side chin where the hair grows differently to the rest. There, it's difficult to get this smooth.

Anyone think that the DE razor would be an improvement on the Bic?

Thanks for your replies.
  19. Inferno

Inferno Active Member

Ratings:
    +809
    Well it should be, but it could take you a few shaves to adjust to a different method, but like i said it should be better.
  20. Dave M

Dave M Active Member

Ratings:
    +507
    I was intrigued and bought 10 feather blades. Was dead nervous at first using them but I think they are my favourite so far. Not cut myself once. Really good.
  21. Desmo

Desmo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,481
    I keep meaning to get some feathers to try out. Derby extras are my favourites out of the sample pack I had.
  22. John

John Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,642
    I can pop a couple in the post if you want, I really don't get on with them at all
  23. Desmo

Desmo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,481
    That would be great John, happy to pop a few of mine back in return if you'd like to try some. Will drop you note tomorrow with what I have.
  24. pandemic

pandemic Active Member

Ratings:
    +347
    Been using the Feathers for a few weeks now. They didn't work too well in my Edwin Jagger DE89, they were fine on my face but I couldn't get a close shave at the neck (between the chin and adam's apple). However they worked much better in my Parker 92R.
    Can only get about 3 shaves from them though before the edge starts to dull and so I'll probably switch to using the Derby's or Tescos (Personna's, I believe). I'll have to try the Super-Max blades at some point as they are ridiculously cheap, and supposedly a decent enough blade (my local barber uses them).
  25. Inferno

Inferno Active Member

Ratings:
    +809
    Feather blades, one shave then if i try again its as blunt as a butter knife, not good for a blade that's over 40p each really!

I have tried them in a slim adjustable a merkur 34c and 11c and a muhle r41, shark stainless are about the best blade for me anyway, derby do a better job than them feathers too.
  26. baldrick

baldrick Active Member

Ratings:
    +251
    I'm experiencing the same with Feather blades, they 'go off' very quickly. I've just ordered a 100 blade selection pack from Amazon so it'll be interesting to see how the different brands fare...
  27. Dave M

Dave M Active Member

Ratings:
    +507
    Confused. I like the feathers but yes they go off after a shave or 2. The Derby's are great and last longer but don't shave as close???

Any other recommendations?
  28. Squiffy

Squiffy Active Member

Ratings:
    +937
    I quite like the Astra Superior Platinums, find they give a decent mix of sharpness and durability.

Feathers are my favourite though, but I get two shaves on one side before I turn it over and do one shave on the other side. Any more and I find I'll get a couple of nicks.
  29. balidey

balidey Active Member

Ratings:
    +360
    I've tried about a dozen types now and the one brand that consistantly gave a good shave and lasted well were Gillette 7 o'clock blades.
    They do several types, I like the yellow and the green. The yellows are considered to be slightly more aggressive than the greens.
    Well worth getting a pack of each to try.
    I've now decided that these are my 'go to' blades, but went to load another one last weekend and realised I am now out of them. So I've just ordered 50 yellows off ebay. Need to get some more greens on order soon.
  30. Stu V

Stu V Active Member

Ratings:
    +312
    I've tried a few and have now settled on Gillette 7 o'clocks
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.