Dual Edge Safety Razors and Shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used a few different creams but then have settled on Penhaligons. Makes a real nice foam and smells awesome. Pretty expensive so i stock pile when I go to Bicester village from the factory outlet store there.

Want to try Castle Forbes myself but not quite in the impulse buy price category :rolleyes:

Been using Arko for the last few weeks as my proraso ran out. Arko's ok but being a soap I find it dries my skin out a bit too much.

Don't get a rich enough lather with Arko for me. The smell is way too detergenty for me too...wife hates it. If I run out of nice stuff I find a tube of bog standard palmolive is a better option than the Arko.

I quite like the Arko but then I have not tired anything else bar a tub I got for Christmas from my brother from here.

Shaving Soap - Nanny's Silly Soap Company

I have the Eucalyptus & Tea Tree one, it smells really nice and whips up a good lather too.

Good prices and they also to sample packs which is great to try lots to decide what you would like best.

i use derby blades and taylors sandalwood shaving cream. im confident im making a good peaky lather but im finding that after iv done my first downward shave then wash and relather, it feels like the razor is shaving 'dry' skin. obviously its not but it feels a bit like the blade sticks (new blade).

anyone else get this?

also whats the best stuff to use to sealing up little nicks?

I was using an alum block but to be honest I've come to the conclusion its pretty harsh on the skin and more bother than its worth.

I usually just let any nicks clot and then give my face a dab with sudocream on the tender areas , give it 5 minutes then follow up with a moisturiser ( clinique or L'Oreal stuff works for me).

I've given up on the multiple passes as well. I run a 4 on my fatboy once with the grain every day and leave it it that. If I'm going out in the evening I shave lightly again with a 2.

On a slightly different aside I've started shaving my chest as I'm in a tropical country at the moment and was getting sweat rashes , this seems to have worked quite well and my chest is healing up for the first time in months.

Unfortunately I just run out of decent shaving cream and have had no luck finding a good replacement.

I use Geo F Trumpers Sandalwood Skinfood as a pre-shave, then eshave Verbena Lime shaving cream. Finally another application of the skinfood and a splash of Taylor of Old Bond Street Luxury Sandalwood cologne, it smells fantastic and is relatively cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:

A styptic pencil, I use this one if I nick myself - Shaving Styptic Pencil: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Beauty

Used it lastnight actually.

Run it under some water, dab it on the cut, wince, rinse the pencil and dry it off. Job done.

The bleeding stops pretty much instantly too so you dont need to suffer pieces of toilet paper for 20min after shaving :laugh:

===============

EDIT:

Has anyone that uses a decent soap tried to go back to gels? I use Crabtree and Evelyn Nomad soap and love it, tried to use my nivea gel though to finish it off and its just terrible in comparison, I couldn't even finish off a single pass before washing my face and starting again with the soap! :laugh:

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
cheers for the feedback gents. il check some of those things out. sandalwood is so nice! mmm

All aboard the DE train.....got mine coming on Monday :)

Wow 33 pages!!!!

Anyone recommend an online site to pick up a good starter pack. I'm interested in joining the club. I'll need a razor, blades, soap, brush, etc. essentially the lot!!

Any help appreciated.

I joined the shaving room forum, some very nice chaps on there only too willing to help a newbie out with starter gear. My apprentice at work wanted to get into DE shaving and I got sent a razor, blades and some soap all for nothing. Join up and you'll learn loads too. See you there. :)

My slim has arrived with me, its a 1967 4th quarter one 44 years old, but no way does it look it, the doors open and close snugly and the adjuster dial clicks with each notch and all the paint on the numbers is in tact.

OK it cost me an extra £13.05 because of import tax and a royal mail handling fee which is a cheek as i already paid the postage to USPS but hey ho, i have seen worse ones go for more a lot more, was £43.04 all in with delivery from the states.

I will post something when i have had a shave with it :).
Thats a nice bit of kit there Captain! :smashin:

Im still enjoying my beast though Ive been thinking about trying some new blades. My neck hairs are really tough and its taking a few strokes to cut them down a bit so need suggestions for a good blades for tough hair, and sensitive skin please folks.

It's worth remembering that you're not trying to remove all the hair in one pass - with a DE do a few passes with a new lather of soap between each for a good shave. WHen I've not shaved for a few days the first pass doesn't look like its removed anything but after 3-4 I get a perfect shave (loads of good soap in between each pass).

hth

It's worth remembering that you're not trying to remove all the hair in one pass - with a DE do a few passes with a new lather of soap between each for a good shave. WHen I've not shaved for a few days the first pass doesn't look like its removed anything but after 3-4 I get a perfect shave (loads of good soap in between each pass).

hth
Hi mate,
When I say a few strokes or rather passes I talking 5-8. The blades Ive got are Personna Platinum.

EDIT: Just having a look I didnt realise you could get sample packs of blades DOH! I think I will do this and see if I can find a blade good for me. ;)

Last edited:
I'm using 7oclock yellows but they're a bit sharp for me so going to try the greens. For ultra sharp blades try the feathers, only for the brave though.....

7oclock's are good, that's what I'm going through now from the selection I have. Feathers... I'm working up to them :)

I'm using 7oclock yellows but they're a bit sharp for me so going to try the greens. For ultra sharp blades try the feathers, only for the brave though.....
I think I will forget feathers...I would take my sweet cheeks off with them :laugh:

I use to find shaving a chore, but thanks to Rob I'm getting into the DE shaving lark. Its quite a nice relaxing routine to start the day. :smashin:

I dont require a shave every day, but it's a nice treat now. I've even just purchased an adjustable razor 2nd quarter of 1971 (my birth year) feels nice shaving with a razor made the same time as I was!

I dont require a shave every day, but it's a nice treat now. I've even just purchased an adjustable razor 2nd quarter of 1971 (my birth year) feels nice shaving with a razor made the same time as I was!
I never use to shave every day but its getting to that point where I shave then come the late afternoon Im getting propper stubble trouble. :laugh:

I wonder if I can find a DE razor from my year of birth (1985). Wheres the best place to look? Ebay?

Hitby said:
7oclock's are good, that's what I'm going through now from the selection I have. Feathers... I'm working up to them :)

I started with feathers, can't imagine using anything else now.

Feathers + slim adjustable on mild setting + proraso cream + 3 passes = win in my book, a great combo for a newbie and the mild razor setting stops you trying to take it all off in one go.

Feathers are very sharp, but no decent DE blade is dull. I find that they mean that I get a cleaner shave using less pressure/passes.

Any thoughts on the Edwin Jagger De89bl Chrome Plated Double Edge Safety Razor ?
I'm new to DE and just bought the Wilkinson Classic for under a fiver at the local chemist. For a cheap razor it seems to be doing a pretty good job (and it shaves closer than my previous Gillette 5 blade Fusion) but I want to upgrade shortly and maybe try the feather blades too.

Also whats the best way to remove soap from the blades? I have a Palmolive shaving stick (50p @ Tescos) and the soap gets in the blades all the time.

I have a DE89L, it's my 1st razor and works great. In terms of cleaning it, I just use an old toothbrush and some toothpaste.

Be careful moving straight to Feathers, I'd suggest trying Derby blades or Gillette's 1st. Feathers are pretty razor sharp and take working up to.

I am currently, and have been for some while, using a Gillette Fusion (4 blade) razor.... But its days are soon numbered and the last shave I had with it would've been Friday evening.

I have since invested in the Bluebeard revenge range of DE saftey razor (scimitar) and it's applicable pure badger hair brush, steel bowl and cream including pre and post shave products. Will be using this highly recommended DE Safety razor with Astra Superior stainless steel blades.

It's all set me back a fair bit, but the initial outlay upfront looks like it will pay for itself, and more, when compared to what you forlk out for these packs of 4-8 gillette fusion blades.

Have always been left with shaving rashes and neck burns when using gillette razor products and tried all sorts of different foams & gels over the years so am looking forward to using my new shaving toy's come Tuesday as so many in this thread, and on other shaving related forums, have never looked back since changing... :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom