Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driving License Change Of Address

Discussion in 'Motoring Forum' started by Wiff21, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Wiff21

Wiff21 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I've not driven for about 10 years and I've changed addresses several times since then. Because I haven't been driving I never changed the address on my license. I am now considering buying a car. Do you think I will come across any difficulties in changing the address on the license?
    I know you can get fined for not notifying of address change, but does this always happen?
    Thanks.
  2. Ian J

Ian J New Member

Ratings:
    +4,980
    I assume that you only risk a fine for not having your current address on your licence if you are actually driving. I can't see that you would be in trouble for not notifying the authorities of changes of address if you weren't driving otherwise non drivers would also have to have a driving licence
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. nvingo

nvingo Active Member

Ratings:
    +340
    How would they know, you haven't just moved from the previous listed address, unless their computer can spot that address has drivers from another family and no lodgers living there ?

I've lived in several rented accomdation, but I've always considered that as my parents OWN the house my licence is addressed at, that their letterbox is a more secure way for DVLA to contact me.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  4. andyrj1

andyrj1 Member

Ratings:
    +6
  5. Stoofa

Stoofa Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Now I know you said you weren't driving.
    However that doesn't actually matter.
    Because in some cases your driving license can be used as ID there is actually a legal requirement to keep the address updated.
    You can actually get a fine of £1000 for not updating your address.
    Yes it is unlikely you'd be asked to show it if you weren't driving, but still....

I would get your license address updated as quickly as possible.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Ron240

Ron240 Active Member

Ratings:
    +382
    Also, an important point to note...it does not cost anything to have a new license issued due to an address change.
    Although, you will probably not have a photo license, so it will cost you for your passport size photos.
    As others have said....you should get it done sooner rather than later. :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Digger

Digger Active Member

Ratings:
    +216
    As Ron said. I changed mine from a paper style to photocard after a couple of house moves. No issues at all and as stated free to do as it was only an address change.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Wiff21

Wiff21 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for your advice and for taking the time to reply. I'll get a form and and see how it goes. Will let you know the outcome.
  9. Wiff21

Wiff21 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for replies. Have finally sent it off and have just received new license. They even sent my £17.50 cheque back, which they said was not needed. Brilliant result :D
  10. JagoUK

JagoUK Active Member

Ratings:
    +597
    good job you got it updated, its always best to keep it updated because if you were arrested or stop searched they would notify the dvla.

also one thing to note. if you have moved and change address and DONT fill in the form properly, they will send your license to your old address for you to fill in properly. i know this as a couple of years ago I had a letter pop through the door with an old flames license in it asking for them to change address. fortunately i didnt hold a grudge and forwarded it on to her
  11. Mac Man

Mac Man Active Member

Ratings:
    +240
    Ditto... just got my new photocard last week and the £10 cheque refunded.

I'd been driving on the same licence for 15 years and gone through 3 changes of address in that time. :D
  12. Ron240

Ron240 Active Member

Ratings:
    +382
    Just out of curiosity...did both of you not actually read the application form?
    It clearly states that a new license issued due to a change of address, is free. :)
  13. Mac Man

Mac Man Active Member

Ratings:
    +240
    Obviously not that clearly stated, otherwise I wouldn't have sent £10. ;)

Mine was a change from old style to photocard.

TBH I didn't think the form was particularly easy to complete. And yes.... I did read through it a number of times.
  14. Kebabhead

Kebabhead Active Member

Ratings:
    +509
    Wonder how many people know you have to update your photo licence every 10 years
  15. Silva

Silva Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Im currently looking to change the address on my drivers license too as Ive been at my current address 4 years now, however Ive been having issues.

My current license (old style green paper license) has my address from 10 years ago, Ive moved 3 times since. Ive tried to do it online but it just shows my details do not match etc.

Online it asks you

1..."Please enter the address that you require on your new driving licence" - No problem

2..."How long have you lived there? " - Doesnt make sense putting 4 years does it?

3..."Is the address printed on your driving licence listed above?" - It isnt, the 10 year old address is. So I add this next.

4..."Sorry... It has not been possible to match you with your driver record based on the details you have provided.
    Please check your details on the following pages and change anything that is incorrect. Please consider the following when checking your details:
    Check that you have included middle names if these are on your driver record
    Check the spelling of names and special characters - e.g. hyphens, apostrophes
    Check that one of the addresses you have entered is the address on your driver record"

Any ideas anyone? Is it easier just sending my old license off physically?
  16. Mac Man

Mac Man Active Member

Ratings:
    +240

yep... just send off your old licence.
  17. Brox

Brox Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have not changed my address on my licence for a year whilst I moved from my House temporarily, my post is redirected, I have just got caught for a traffic violation, and have acknowledged that I am the driver. I am now being given the opportunity to have 3 points and a £60 fine. The letters says that if my address shown is incorrect, to not send to the DVLA for replacement but to complete the new address inside the licence. Can I trust it or will they 'do' me now I have admitted it. Or is it best to stick with the original address and change it retrospectively?

Does anyone have experience of this?
  18. Shared

Shared Member

Ratings:
    +248

I haven't changed the address on my paper licence for about 12 years, when i got an endorsement they just sent my original licence back unchanged (apart from the endorsement) to my new address.

Its one of those things i'll have to get around to sorting out, but they didn't penalise me further.
  19. probedb

probedb Active Member

Ratings:
    +179
    I still don't understand the need for it to be on there. My passport doesn't have my address on it so why does my driving license need it? Other than the need to contact me, what purpose does it serve? I mean I'm not going to drive differently because my address is different.
  20. Kebabhead

Kebabhead Active Member

Ratings:
    +509
    DVLA requirement

Also the police can access it so they need this info to verify your identity
  21. amaribling

amaribling Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a friend who has had a car crash which wasn't her fault.

Her insurance company are now asking for her driving license!

Her insurance is on her old address, however her driving license is on her new address.

I would like to know if anyone could tell me the consequences and possible outcomes of this scenario?:lease: