Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drive (2011)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by raigraphixs, May 22, 2011.

1. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Media:
    Ratings:
    +378
    OK fair play, I missed that small but important detail.
  2. spawn

spawn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I saw this a few weeks ago. I absolutely loved it, but thought the main car chase between the Mustang and 300C was too weak. Really should have been aiming for a very strong chase considering the only other one in the film was a scene setter and more cerebral than just balls out driving.

Ronin showed you don't need to lower yourself to Fast and Furious to have a quality cinematic car chase.
  3. cebs_uk

cebs_uk Active Member

Ratings:
    +250
    Funny you mention it the music reminded of Giorgio Moroder while i was watching it, i got it last night and used track 1 in a show today, sounds very good at a loud level.

Going to give it a good listen tomorrow while driving. :)
  4. mckee74

mckee74 Active Member

Ratings:
    +442
    Finally watched this last night. As far as I am concerned I can close the book on my favourite film of the year.

Just an incredible film, looked amazing, sounded amazing, the performances were excellent.
  5. raigraphixs

raigraphixs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,805
    A US woman sues, having expected a "Fast and Furious" style film :D

And wants to stop misleading movie trailers

Video Report - Woman Sues Film Distributor, Theater For Misleading Trailer - Video - WDIV Detroit
  6. Greg Hook

Greg Hook Moderator & Reviewer

Ratings:
    +3,809
    I have a feeling the misleading trailer is not the main reason for her lawsuit.
  7. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Media:
    Ratings:
    +378
    as ridiculous as it sounds she's got a point in a way, because she feels like she's been misled and she's lost money as a result. OK, so most people will read reviews and have an idea of what to expect in a movie, but that shouldn't be a necessary requirement. The fact that this story has made the news kind of proves that she has a point. Maybe if she wins her lawsuit then studios will think more about how they market their films to be fair representation. Watching the Drive trailer again makes it look like high octane non stop action, when it's really not like that at all.
  8. bazzabing

bazzabing Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I really liked this film, especially the contrast between how calm and premeditated he is when driving compared to when he loses it and like others can't stop listening to the soundtrack. However I do think some more dialogue would have made this film exceptional, I know they were complex characters and there was meaning behind every scene, just felt like the silences and looks were exaggerated
  9. jalaldevil

jalaldevil Active Member

Ratings:
    +986
    She does have a good point, you can add Tinker TSS and Adjustment Bureau on that list.
  10. Todd Tomorrow

Todd Tomorrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,263
    Anybody who trusts in advertising alone when handing their money over to purchase anything, is an idiot.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Leumas_10

Leumas_10 Member

Ratings:
    +169
    How is the Tinker Tailor.. trailer misleading?

What would this woman prefer, each film mapped out perfectly from start to finish in a two minute preview? Maybe then she could not bother watching the actual films at all and save her ticket fee's for something more worthwhile :rolleyes:
  12. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Media:
    Ratings:
    +378
    In this case I think some attempt should have been made to make the trailer match the tone and style of the film, rather than it being just a compilation of all the action-y bits which is basically what we've got here.
  13. Leumas_10

Leumas_10 Member

Ratings:
    +169
    Yeah, admittedly the trailer for this doesn't really match the feel of the film at all. But I'd suggest it would've been quite difficult to 'sell' the actual feel of this film and still make it appealing (which is obviously the point of the advertising) in a short preview...maybe you can take that to be quite deceitful, but then a lot of advertising is, it isn't a travesty worth whining about imo. It just amazes me how readily some people will take up legal action, they love it!

She seems to be more riled up about the 'extreme gratuitous defamatory dehumanizing racism directed against members of the Jewish faith' rather than the lack of car chases. I must confess, I missed this totally?? Wait, somebody taking offence to slurs on the Jewish faith...looking for a refund....is it April 1st? (don't shoot :laugh:)
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  14. cebs_uk

cebs_uk Active Member

Ratings:
    +250
    I went for a second viewing tonight before it goes off the big screen and here's a list of reasons to see it twice :

1. Great use of sound/non sound.
    2. Great camera work, lock off and things moving into view, shadows and car chases.
    3. The music.
    4. Half love story / half uber violence.

and last ...

Until just before the end i realized we never heard his name just the driver so i waited for credits and yes just the driver. Only seen layer cake that managed to pull that off before very well done as it took me almost 2 complete viewings to spot.
  15. Greg Hook

Greg Hook Moderator & Reviewer

Ratings:
    +3,809
    This ^^

That is the reason for the lawsuit, nothing at all to do with the misleading trailer.
  16. IL Cattivo

IL Cattivo Active Member

Ratings:
    +257
    One of the best movies to come out of Hollywood this year thankfully! Really immersive and enjoyable stuff. Gosling is fast becoming another of my favourite actors.

Fantastic Soundtrack

8.5/10

:thumbsup:
  17. Mr.D

Mr.D Active Member

Ratings:
    +954
    Awesome film. If you liked this check out "Thief" by Michael Mann.... you'd be forgiven for thinking it was the same director on both.
  18. nestiepen

nestiepen Member

Ratings:
    +1
    You're right.

I didn't like the film. There was something missing. Or maybe I just don't like the woman's facial expressions.
  19. DrPhil

DrPhil Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,578
    Agreee about the misleading trailer, and my wife was unamused that I took her to see a film about a getaway driver that had very little getaway driving!

I think because I was expecting something different, I only thought it was a 7/10 at the time, but it's grown on me since and I'm really looking forward to another viewing now.
  20. DrPhil

DrPhil Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,578
    I still can only picture him as Hal from Malcolm in the Middle.
  21. Todd Tomorrow

Ratings:
    +1,263
    Breaking Bad has well and truly wiped that memory from my mind. He gives what I think is currently the best performance in a drama series by an actor.
  22. nestiepen

nestiepen Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hope she wins. It will be a good thing for all consumers.

Hollywood, beware.:D
  23. Todd Tomorrow

Ratings:
    +1,263
    Yes cool, lets stick it to the more unusual and ambitious films which are a hard sell.
  24. jonathanTVTV

jonathanTVTV Member

Ratings:
    +102
    for those interested, HMV has the Blu-ray available for preorder at £11.99.
  25. raigraphixs

raigraphixs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,805
    Author James Sallis to release a sequel to Drive novel in April 2012, 'Driven'.

[​IMG]
  26. spawn

spawn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Sounds interesting, but imagine I'd be better off reading the original Drive before attempting this sequel.

Hmmm, can I be bothered...?
  27. cebs_uk

cebs_uk Active Member

Ratings:
    +250
    This is on again tonight at the Cornerhouse Manchester and again once a week for the next couple in case anyone missed it.

I might see for a third time as the bluray ain't out till end of Jan but depends if its snows anymore :)

Think I'll put the soundtrack on to get me in the mood for it.
  28. Leumas_10

Leumas_10 Member

Ratings:
    +169
    Wish it was shown again locally to me. I think it had a two week 'stretch' at the local Odeon.
  29. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples Active Member

Ratings:
    +437
    Watched it tonight and this was my only real gripe. I dont really think the main actor had enough screen presence to fill those pauses of empty silence. Actors back in the day like McQueen, Bronson, even Ryan O'Neal (to a point), did have it.
  30. bosque

bosque Active Member

Ratings:
    +558
    Haven't seen anything theatrically for a long time but this is the only recent movie (of the last six months) which I am keen to see on Blu-Ray.