Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dragon Age 2 - Play and Help Thread

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Role Playing Games' started by Lurking Lawyer, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Lurking Lawyer

Lurking Lawyer Active Member

Ratings:
    +995
    Probably a few more days until the first copies start landing on door mats, but the Septics get it on Tuesday so we'll doubtless start getting reviews and gameplay comments beforehand.

So on that flimsy pretext, I have taken the liberty of being the one to start the DA2 P&H thread. Let the beardiness commence! :D
  2. I Spiritus I

I Spiritus I Active Member

Ratings:
    +793
    Looking forward to it! :D.
  3. MANGABOY

MANGABOY Active Member

Ratings:
    +299
    Got my signature edition dispatch email this morning so hopefully be playing this tomorrow :) One thing I noticed in the demo is that your going to be given the option to change the appearance of your main character. I'm not sure whether to or not, as the bearded Hawke appeared quite heavily in the build up and advertising of the game. I might just give him a scar somewhere and leave him as default. What's everyone else doing?
  4. benhaha85

benhaha85 Active Member

Ratings:
    +443
    I'm pretty sure you can, but the ability to do so was locked in the demo.

Can't wait for this, I've just finished Arkham Asylum and need a new game to get my teeth into.
  5. MANGABOY

MANGABOY Active Member

Ratings:
    +299
    Mine came today, just installing it now. Going to give it a 5 hour play session this afternoon. Report back later

People who are getting the signature edition by the way this is what you'll be getting -

Exiled prince character dlc with 3 bonus missions
    A Mabari warhound
    The Black Emporium hosting a collection of items
    Signature Edition digital game soundtrack

A digital armoury which can be found in a chest in your house. Includes -

Blood Dragon Armour
    The Lion Of Oralis
    Fadeshear
    Hayder's Razor
    Boots of the frozen wastes
    Hindsight
    3 books
    Staff of Parthalan
    Ser Isaac's Armour

About 5-6 other items and 1 or more extra quests as well. Wow! Thats a lot
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  6. I Spiritus I

I Spiritus I Active Member

Ratings:
    +793
    Thanks for that mate. Look forward to hearing what you think about it? Do you only get to play as a male character in this? I'm wanting to import my female rouge... so I hope its going to let me do it! lol.
  7. MANGABOY

MANGABOY Active Member

Ratings:
    +299
    Just finished the character creation part. You can play as a female but your import character will only affect the background story, you have to create a totally new character. I'm playing as a rogue again but this time looks like your stuck with 2 daggers, you can't have the sword and dagger combo which was my favourite in Origins

Other small differences with Origins are you can't change the clothes of your allies, you can't make your own health potions and stuff have to find and pay people to do that for you. Once you equip a rune to a item you can't transfer it. The most noticeable some of you might have realised in the demo is that there's a 30 second cooldown between each health potion you use. So unlike Origins where you could store around 100 and use one after the other you gota wait, this may make some of the bosses a tad harder lol.
  8. Lurking Lawyer

Ratings:
    +995
    I shall look forward to your initial gameplay impressions later on, Mr Manga!

Even though I can't import my female mage DA:O character, I think I'll end up creating another for my first playthrough of DA2. I've always tended to prefer magic over melee, and I never really "got" the Rogue class in DA:O (doubtless down to the way I played it) so it's really only a question of whether to go for beard or boobs! ;)
  9. MANGABOY

MANGABOY Active Member

Ratings:
    +299
    Thats me done for the day, 5 hour session finished. Gone through all the introductions, picked up all my free signature edition gear from home and from the emporium (theres a lot!). You get a storage chest too where you can stash stuff which is handy. Got my characters attributes and abilities going in the direction I want them to. Going to start the main questing tomorrow
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. TcT Sid

TcT Sid Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,312
    Thanks for the list Manga, seems we get quite a bit. By the looks of things the GAME orders have a chance of coming tomorrow :)
  11. MANGABOY

MANGABOY Active Member

Ratings:
    +299
    Just finished another 4 hour session. Its just as addictive as Origins lol
  12. MANGABOY

MANGABOY Active Member

Ratings:
    +299
    Just over 15 hours playtime and have a level 8 rogue. Hardly done anything of the main quest there's loads of side quests which keep popping out. Everytime I mop some up, more show up :D My Origins playthrough took around 75 hours, got a feeling this may be over the 100 mark. I think my Hawkes got a eye for the lads, lot of gay overtones in this, I don't care so long as I get my start a romance achievement don't care who he bonks, the more the merrier :D
  13. Lurking Lawyer

Ratings:
    +995
    Is it still just Mr Manga who has got their copy? Mine didn't arrive yesterday despite the despatch e-mail on Tuesday. Fingers crossed for today....
  14. benhaha85

benhaha85 Active Member

Ratings:
    +443
    I'm hoping today too.
  15. Lurking Lawyer

Ratings:
    +995
    The missus reports that a game has arrived for me at home! :clap:
  16. MANGABOY

MANGABOY Active Member

Ratings:
    +299
    Just reached level 10 after 19 hours. Anyone know if theres a level cap in this one? There's a achievement for reaching level 20, just wondering if you can go beyond.
  17. oasismark

oasismark Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,895
    In the demo i'm sure i saw a weapon/potion that required level 99!

Tho it could just be cos it was the demo and to make it unreachable for hackers or something!

Cos i remember thinking 'christ level 99, gonna take ages to reach!'
  18. MANGABOY

MANGABOY Active Member

Ratings:
    +299
    Yeah i had a initial surprise reaction when I saw that in the demo :D But then thought it was just to stop specific items being used in the demo. Don't think there's enough quests in the game to gain enough experience to even reach a level 50 to be fair
  19. TcT Sid

TcT Sid Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,312
    Got mine yesterday and already put just over 5 hours into it. I can see a long weekend of playing it :thumbsup:

As Manga said though, im disappointed i cant change the other peoples armour. I have a chest full of unused armour now.
  20. Purple Box

Purple Box Member

Ratings:
    +82
    Got 7 hours in last night and like everyone else I'm gonna lose a big chunk of my life to this game :rolleyes:

But not being able to put armour on your companions sucks large donkey balls :mad:

I also have a storage chest full of totally worthless armour and weapons! (all dlc is worth 1 bronze! ***! Blood dragon armour, 1 bronze!) I seem to be out growing my armour and weapons with regularity but new stuff is always availible to buy or pick up from a dead body :smashin:

Good start to this but perhaps my memory is going but did the Qunari have great big horns in origins?
  21. Lurking Lawyer

Ratings:
    +995
    No, they didn't.

I read an interview with one of the devs on sfx.co.uk which said that they had wanted to do them with horns in Origins but there was some sort of technical issue that they couldn't be Arsed to work around.

They found a way around it for DA2 and, in plot terms, decided to retcon it to say that not all Qunaris have horns (the comparison used was with cows!) and they only send the hornless ones abroad as they are less frightening to outlanders.

The other reason for wanting horns apparently is that ogress have horns, and ogres are created when Brood Mothers do their thing to Qunaris, in the same way that humans become hurlocks and dwarves become genlocks.

Only had chance to play a couple of hours last night but I'm enjoying it so far. I agree entirely about the companion armour issue though :(
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. Purple Box

Purple Box Member

Ratings:
    +82
    Cheers for that. Hummmm it actually looks like someone had a good think about the horn thing :D Feel better about it now.

What class is everyone using? Rogue seems popular but it's only two little knives now. The Archer seems to have been beefed up alot in this, some of the bows I've come across in my travels have been scary! :devil:

I'm starting with the 2 hander at the moment and he didn't really start to come into his own untill level 7 I think when I could up grade whirlwind to cyclone, everyone just started turning into red mist from that point :laugh:
  23. MANGABOY

MANGABOY Active Member

Ratings:
    +299
    Anyone know exactly what the downloadable game soundtrack that you get with the signature edition is and how you access it? I don't get it. Also noticed there's some items in the unlockables part of the extra's menu which aren't unlocked yet. Im not sure if they unlock as you level up of if they are seperate bonuses from what you get for having the signature edition. Anyone know
  24. Sam Crow

Sam Crow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,795
    did you use the code on the bioshock website or the xbox ?
  25. Lurking Lawyer

Ratings:
    +995
    If you log in at social.Bioware.com, you can check what bonus stuff you have unlocked and how you access it.

Like you though, I can see stuff under Extras in the game menu that hasn't been unlocked yet.

There is a thread in the Bioware forums about it but it was 17-18 pages long and I couldn't be arsed to wade through it all....
  26. MANGABOY

MANGABOY Active Member

Ratings:
    +299
    Whats the signature edition game soundtrack about? I just entered the deep roads after 24 hours clearing up all the main and side quests available. Think I'll stop there. I noticed though the designers have been a bit lazy. I must have been in at least 3 different caves already with exactly the same layout :rolleyes:
  27. Sam Crow

Ratings:
    +8,795
    Go to your uncles house they are all their ...no clue about the soundtrack sorry
  28. MANGABOY

MANGABOY Active Member

Ratings:
    +299
    Did you check the back of of one of the leaflets? One of them's double sided. When you approach the Chantry in the game that's when you get him in a cut scene.
  29. Sam Crow

Ratings:
    +8,795
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  30. Brutos

Brutos Member

Ratings:
    +89
    Well i thought i'd have a quick game last night, 5 hours later i'm hooked, amazing game.:thumbsup: Playing as a mage for the first play through but i'm already looking forward to replaying as a different character, maybe a rogue. But does anyone know if you can swap from the dual weapons to the bow via the inventory at anytime ? Or is it like the demo where you can only swap weapons at certain points in the game ?

Edit; It appears the rogue auto switches to dual weapons when close to a enemy.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011