Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolby 5.1 decoding

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by neil123456, Mar 1, 2012.

1. neil123456

neil123456 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    IM running windows 7 64 bit media centre with all my media on the pc.

What's the easiest and most straight forward way to playback 5.1 dts hd via an Mkv movie file?

I've spent hours on previous installs trying to get this to work, eventually do, but don't know how!

I had it working well, decoding all my movies, BBC hd, itv hd all through hdmi. I've installed the wmp codec pack, but no joy!
  2. darthmauler

darthmauler Member

Ratings:
    +5
    What are you trying to play?

Dolby and DTS are two different and competing companies.

Are you trying to play a 5.1 digital sound track (Dolby Digital or DTS) or are you trying to play HD audio? (True HD or DTS-MA)
  3. lisag

lisag Active Member

Ratings:
    +247
    Personally, I hate codec packs, I like to keep my install as minimalist as possible. If too many codecs are installed, I get confused as to which ones are working.

LAV filters are very popular, personally I prefer ffdshow, as it shows up in the right hand corner of the taskbar when working and tells you exactly what is going on.

I just install the minimum amount to get it working, so a splitter to split the files (I use gabest) plus ffdshow to bitstream DTS, DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD.

I can't get ffdshow to do AAC audio codecs very well though, so I use LAV audio decoder, and tick just the aac codec for that.