Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does blood pressure medication slow your metabolism

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by Dom996, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Dom996

Dom996 Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I have recently been diagnosed with hypertension and am going to the doctors tomorrow to discuss the next step which I imagine will be medication.

I'm a keen gym rat and try to keep in reasonable shape. Now if medication slows the metabolism then I'll theoretically have to workout even harder. :eek:
  2. SeanT

SeanT Active Member

Ratings:
    +373
    You should carefully discuss any exercise regime with your doctor if taking blood pressure medication, especially doing increased exercise whilst on medication.
    It really depends on which drugs you are given, ARBs and ACE inhibitors have some effect on the metabolic "rate", but are unlikely to slow it down noticeably, whereas beta blockers may well do this - your doctor should be able to balance medication, changes in diet and your current exercise regime, along with all your other stats (including age and sex) against his knowledge and the various guidelines to make good recommendations - ask him about it and don't just let him pump you full of drugs without discussing them with you and the various effects, including prevention of future type II diabetes and any side - effects. The effective treatment of hypertension is an entire medical discipline in itself and is a massive problem in the western world today.

Some light bedtime reading for you - http://www.cardiab.com/content/6/1/36
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Alan_W

Alan_W Member

Ratings:
    +194
    Discuss with your doctor your lifestyle and habits and your treatment will be tailored to you. Medication would not necessarily be the first step for you LINK
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Dom996

Dom996 Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Should be interesting as I follow a strict training regime, but enjoy a good drink on a regular basis. At least I don't smoke. :D
  5. SeanT

SeanT Active Member

Ratings:
    +373
    Was chatting to that Dr Phil Hammond off the telly over a drink at a hypertension conference, and he pretty much said the same thing when I mentioned that I drank and ate too much and didn't really do enough exercise any more, medical opinion in general is that smokers vs non smokers with hypertension is black and white, and that it is the single most affecting factor.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Dom996

Dom996 Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Are you saying that not smoking means it is mostly genetic?

As soon as I said I didn't smoke and my mother has high blood pressure, they asked me no more.
  7. SeanT

SeanT Active Member

Ratings:
    +373
    The genetic thing is a contributory factor, but there's no really solid research that says it's genetic - which could just be because of the number of generations over which it has been recognised as a problem / measured / researched....
  8. Alan_W

Alan_W Member

Ratings:
    +194
    You are stuck with what you inherited. Not smoking, regular exercise and a low salt diet will help. No need to add any salt to our salt laden diet.

Some websites dispute this, but many are funded by the processed food industry.
  9. themoid

themoid Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I've been on blood pressure med for about 15 months now, no effect on me other than lower blood pressure..

I'm a triathlete, don't smoke, light drinker, eat well, but a big family history of high blood pressure / heart attacks, so genetics all the way. interestingly, the Doc said maybe i exercise too much, but he wasn't going to tell me to lower the exercise as he sees too many people who don't take care of themselves to spoil my fun :D

so i wouldn't worry about your exercise if you end up on the (correct) medication.

Stu
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Dom996

Dom996 Member

Ratings:
    +37
    That's interesting. The doc today was very interested in how much exercise I do. Can too much raise it?

Anyway, I have to go for a blood test first. So the saga continues...
  11. HMHB

HMHB Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,380
    Does anyone have any tips on relaxation techniques ? One of those articles mentions relieving stress by this method but then doesn't tell you about how to relax !