Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does £80-90 seem like a reasonable amount for a garage to fix a Corsa handbrake cable

Discussion in 'Motoring Forum' started by Oddworldificate, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Oddworldificate

Oddworldificate Member

Ratings:
    +1
    As I pulled up the handbrake on my 2005 Vauxhall Corsa this evening I heard an awful clanging sound and the lever came all the way up with no tension. I assume the cable has snapped. As I use the car for commuting it is quite important that I get it fixed as soon as possible, as I would be paying an arm and two legs to use public transport.

My questions are is it a good idea to drive it to a garage with no handbrake or should I call the green flag and get them to tow the car there ?

Is this something that is easily fixable myself ?

And finally does someone know a reputable garage in Portsmouth ?

The ironic thing is that earlier today I was speaking to someone who was telling me that their Corsa's handbrake had snapped as well.
  2. paulyoung666

paulyoung666 Active Member

Ratings:
    +953
    should be no issue to drive to a garage in my opinion ....
  3. car-man

car-man Active Member

Ratings:
    +349

This is extremely common on the Corsa.

You should be able to drive it to a garage with care....hill starts could be a bit interesting and difficult, but if you take care you should be fine, maybe you should Green Flag it for safety. but your choice.

It is quite an easy job if you have any sort of feel for mechanical work.

The parts cost less than £20 for the pair of cables (you should replace both rear cables).
  4. Oddworldificate

Oddworldificate Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the replies people. I have decided to drive the car into a garage as doing it myself would mean going out and buying some axle jacks. It shouldn't cost too much I hope.
  5. Oddworldificate

Oddworldificate Member

Ratings:
    +1
    One garage quoted me £80-90 to replace a Corsa handbrake cable, I would get some more quotes but most of the garages round here seem to be closed on the weekend.

Is this a decent looking prices or am I being taken to the cleaners ?
  6. mjn

mjn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,487
    I'm guessing thats parts and an hour labour. Probably about right, but i've never had to replace a handbrake cable.
  7. car-man

car-man Active Member

Ratings:
    +349

There are 2 cables to replace, don't just have the one replaced, the other will snap soon after....they fray around the quadrants at each side.

I charged £70 inclusive of parts and labour for the last Corsa handbrake cable job, that was for replacing both rear cables.

That was without vat as I am not vat registered.

The cables are £18 trade price for the pair, add 20% for retail.
  8. Oddworldificate

Oddworldificate Member

Ratings:
    +1
    OK thanks again people of AV forum, it should be a fairly quick job and I doubt that quotes for this type of job will vary much.
  9. paulyoung666

paulyoung666 Active Member

Ratings:
    +953
    as long as everything comes apart and goes together ok , rusty and snapped bolts / fixings can be a nightmare , hopefully not in your case though :smashin:
  10. AJBek

AJBek Member

Ratings:
    +206
    cables are quite easy in these cars as there is a union near the back of the drum where you can split the cable meaning you don't have to remove the drum and shoes, which can be a right pain in some cases if it has never been off since the car was new (I had to do this job today so know from experience). Shouldn't take more than an hour for a garage with hydraulic ramps, so your £80 is probably about right depending on where you are based and local labour charges.