Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you KNOW common retail usb sticks.

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by theoldie, Jan 14, 2012.

1. theoldie

theoldie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For the first time for a few years I have gone to buy a simple usb stick. Bought one off-the-shelf at Currys and entered a world off sticky cheap plastic catches, heads that disappear back into the body, searching for drivers listed on packing in font size 2 (or so it seems) and now lack of faith in the 'required support software' Why has it got so messy Sandisk? The last one I bought from you simply had to be plugged in and forgotten. Grumble.

So can anyone advise on a usb stick easily available online that just needs to be plugged in (Windows XP Pro) with no software that will try to copy itself onto my work (networked) PC? No cover, no catches, no support software and no secure file protection. Just plug and use.

My old Sandisk Mini did the job perfectly but my PC won't even look at the new ones and from reading some reviews lots of people have the same problem.

Help, advice or just a word of comfort welcome. This should not be so difficult!

2. SUMMONER

SUMMONER Active Member

Ratings:
    +253
    I like my old Sandisk Cruzer Titanium, unfortunately they don't make it any more.

While the current plastic version of the Cruzer does come with the usual utility software pre-installed, it is pretty easy to remove it from the drive and turn it into a normal USB stick. link.

I have had my 4GB/8GB Cruzer Titanium USB drives since 2007 and am very happy with them, also they are a bit slow when it comes to large files.
  3. phillyd1981

phillyd1981 Active Member

Ratings:
    +563
  4. macleod.mac

macleod.mac Member

Ratings:
    +31
    The Bytestor range should be ideal for you.

No pre-installed software on them, plug and play (though you can always remove the software from other ones), pretty quick too. Only problem might be the cap potentially getting lost.
  5. theoldie

theoldie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Manythanks for taking the time folks. Much appreciated :smashin:
  6. Trollslayer

Trollslayer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,797
    I use Corsair or cheap Novatch branded for less critical jobs.
  7. theoldie

theoldie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Lots of suggestions ............. thanks everyone! :)
  8. snooper

snooper Member

Ratings:
    +68
  9. RandomLee

RandomLee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,613
    Cheap, simple, robust and just plugs straight in:

SanDisk SDCZ50 Cruzer Blade 8GB USB Flash Drive: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

It have it on my keys which I've dropped, got wet, lost in the garden etc. Never had any issues with the USB.

Regardless of brand... I'd avoid ones that are constructed like this:

Kingston DataTraveler 101 Gen 2 8GB USB Drive - Red: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Ones like this were given out at work and the majority of them have snapped, some still in people's PCs.

Lee