Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Powerline Ethernet Adapters work across RCDs?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by PPI Zulu, Mar 24, 2010.

1. PPI Zulu

PPI Zulu Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

I realise that there's a FAQ about this, but I'm getting conflicting advice from the manufacturer...

I'm thinking about installing a powerline network to connect my router to the Desktop (currently wifi), Sky, Xbox, AV Receiver and BluRay. At the same time I might just add a NAS.

My main question is; do (any) Powerline Ethernet Adapters work across RCDs (Residual Current Devices)? RCDs, for the unitiated, are the small switch-type devices inside your Consumer Unit (fuse box) that 'trip' when a fault occurs with a power socket or device that's conected to the socket.

My problem is that my house is 150 yrs old and, although it was rewired recently by a previous owner, the normal power rings are not laid out like a new-build house. This is partly due to the fact that the previous owner was a skinflint and partly due to the layout of the house. This means that the router, Desktop and the collective AV Equipment, although all downstairs, are on three seperate power rings.

The guy in PC World told me that although manufacturers say that their powerline adapters won't work from ring to ring, across the RCDs, they actually will work. This might, of course, be the PC World guy trying to sell me something he knows nothing about but is keen to get the commission on.
    The Netgear technical helpline told me that it wouldn't work, although the call centre was somewhere in the Indian sub continent and I'm really not sure my question was fully understood.

I would be grateful for opinions on the following set-up that I have my eye on;

Wireless N-Series Router
    - Netgear WNDR3700
    Powerline AV Adapter with ethernet switch - Netgear XAVB1004 (SKY, Xbox, BluRay, Cambridge 640)
    Powerline AV Adapter - Netgear XAV101 (Desktop)
    Some type of NAS (Probably Netgear ready NAS Duo)

You'll notice it's a 'bit' ;) Netgear heavy but all the reviews seem to add up and the brand has a good rep.

Does anyone know if Netgear is planning a Gigabit Powerline Adapter like Belkin's? I'd like to start off with a Gigabit set-up but I haven't heard much good about the Belkin Gigabit model.

Thanks,

PPI
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  2. daveybm

daveybm Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I anm using these :- Solwise PASS-PL-200AV-Kit Homeplug AV Starter Kit W/ Mains Pass-Through and find they work ok over our electrical system, upstairs ring main to downstairs ring main , consumer unit is fitted with a RCD. Have only fitted them yesterday but HD video streaming from pc to linksys wrt 54gs router to ps3 downstairs is fine. Can't help with your gear choice tho' for every person that recommends something someone else will come along and poo poo it, you pays yer money you takes yer chance. If your not sure what to buy, get it from a shop wher you can take it back ie Argos etc it might cost a bit more but if you are undecided its your best bet.

Dave

Ps most homeplugs don't work when connected to power strips fitted with surge protection circuits not RCDs or ELCbs
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  3. PPI Zulu

PPI Zulu Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply and sorry I didn't get back sooner - that really annoying work suff don't-ya-know :rolleyes:.

It's good to hear from someone who has an actual piece of kit that is actually working - theory is a beautiful thing, but just that - theory!

I went with the Netgear eventually but I did get it from ebay at about half high-street price. So, if it doesn't work I'll put it back on ebay and try something else.

Thanks again,

PPI
  4. t72bogie

t72bogie Active Member

Ratings:
    +539
    yes they do work on a normal consumer unit with RCDs and yes Netgear are due to release 500Mbps gigabit powerline adapters
  5. PPI Zulu

PPI Zulu Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I've got the Netgear XAVB101 and XAVB1004 and the whole lot works just fine. One upstairs, the XAV1004 on the Xbox/BluRay/Sky/TV, one on the desktop and, of course, one on the router.
    Every one of them on a different ring main (old house + daft wiring) and still working fine.

One of the Homeplugs even worked over a Belkin Surge Protected extension lead - :eek: - although I will admit that transfer speeds were below 40mbps and I have now modified my wall sockets so that the Homeplug will go straight in - Green Light straight away (60mbps+).

Does anyone know of a simple but accurate test to check the transfer rate between the Desktop and NAS (connected to the router)? Netgear says that if the transfer light on the homeplugs is green then the transfer rate is above 60mbps - it's not critical, I'm just interested.

PPI
  6. floggedhorse

floggedhorse Member

Ratings:
    +0