1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I really need full HD ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by SteveTDCI, Nov 19, 2008.

1. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI Member

Ratings:
    +71
    I'm looking at moving from my much loved Panasonic PD30 CRT upto a new flat screen, i've considered LCD briefly but think Plasma looks better. I'm just weighing up the size and think 37 would be best although if I can I will go for a 42. I've looked at some screens and some arn't full HD, is this really going to be a problem ? I don't have blueray, nore a games console and I belive my DVD ( arcam 79 ) is only 1080i I will probably go for Sky + HD at some point but want the TV to have a life of around 5 years.

Thanks
    Steve
  2. Sephiroth0000

Sephiroth0000 Member

Ratings:
    +80
    FULL HD is the best way to in my opinion as that way you do not have to upgrade more or less until it needs replacing. Sets are alot cheaper now and you can roughly pick up a 42' Full HD 1920x1080 for around £500-£600 but definitely shop around. I know my set now goes for around £530 and £20 postage and my set is a FULL HD, Read the review here on avforums
  3. andypandy

andypandy Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Just to fill you in with my persoanl experience. I have the previous gen pioneer plasma and picture quality on freeview channels and DVD are noticeably better than the very latest and 'supposedly' best sony LCD screen out there at the moment.

OK the sony LCD does have a much brighter picture (not sure if that's a good thing unless your in a conservatory) and when it comes to HD images, and only those, it's clearly shaper.

For me , LCD still have a vast way to go.

Judging by the huge amount of reviews on full-hd screen this does not automatically indicate a sure thing. In your case on a screen size of 37-42 is questionable whether you will notice the difference. On the other hand isn't everything coming out these days full-hd !
  4. risetoaddiction

risetoaddiction Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Pixel count is not top of the list when achieving a great picture. Do some google research about it. I've seen my 'humble' Pioneer PDP508xd next to 1080p panels and the Pioneer came out better than most. I sit 12ft away from it and I doubt very much if I'd see a dramatic improvement if I'd opted for 1080p over 1080i
  5. un1eash

un1eash Active Member

Ratings:
    +450
    On a 37" i wouldnt bother with Full HD and go for something like the TH37PX80 for £550 but then for an extra £50 you can go for the 42".

I would recommend the 42" as you'll soon feel a 37" is to small.
  6. Matt

Matt Member

Ratings:
    +19
    All depends on your viewing distance as over about 6-7' your eyes cannot resolve the extra detail on a 42" display
  7. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI Member

Ratings:
    +71
    hmmmm, ok i'll have a look, i'm not a big fan of SONY stuff and LCD always looks fake, I presume thats down to the screen that looks matt compared to the glass of plasma ?
  8. Sephiroth0000

Sephiroth0000 Member

Ratings:
    +80
    See I would have to disagree with you there. Sony handles HD well but sometimes I find it just feels unnatural with color and movement. I do not really rate Sony or Samsung for that matter very highly. Any LCD/Plasma to a point can always be tweaked and calibrated to get the best of the image you are viewing but then saying that you are going to lose quality in some areas depending on what you view more...SD or HD?
  9. xit2050

xit2050 Active Member

Ratings:
    +496
    And the need to upgrade would be?
  10. Coffin

Coffin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,796
    I'd go for 'Full HD 1080p' if you are sitting at a viewing distance which warrants it (in saying that I bet 80% of people with 1080p panels aren't!) and if you intend to use sources to actually benefit from it, such as BluRay, upscaled DVD, downloaded HD content, HD gaming etc. :thumbsup:
  11. mugabimad

mugabimad Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Totally agree, but must be 1080p upscaled DVD (rare...), 1080p downloaded HD content (quite quite rare) 1080p HD gaming (most games are 720p nowadays...) :devil:
  12. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo Member

Ratings:
    +784
    Its been said time and time again on here that more pixles does not mean a better picture, I have a 50inch 720p samsung plasma panel and I sit 3.5 meters away from the screen and trust me even on a panel that big its pretty dificult to notice the difference between 720p and 1080p. And even if the colours are adjusted and brightness and all that and a calibration has been done its makes it even harder to tell the difference. 1080p is for those that want a MASSIVE screen in the smallest space, like a 50inch panel and sitting about 2.5 meters away.
  13. -Ad-

-Ad- Member

Ratings:
    +212
    Panasonic PX80 42incher is the best value.

Forget about 1080p unless you will sit about 5ft from said 42inch set, your eyes won't be able to see the difference.

And PQ does not always get better with more pixels.

Yes but take for example the tosh X3030. A horrible picture for SD and has banding problems, but pretty good with games. Then take the PX80 which is a far better set, darker blacks, better colour reproduction, motion handling, and it is only a HD-Ready set. The electronics behind the picture matter more than the number of pixels squeezed onto the screen ;)

The 3030 is pretty damn good value for £350, my parents paid £900 18months ago but I would only recommend it for gaming and some HD films. The blacks are pretty grey, and the SD quality really is something to hope that your eyes never ever have to live with. i'm not being harsh, just truthful, and I always go into the parents main lounge when watching sky as the old tosh 36CRT really blows it out of the water like a fisherman with depthcharges vs fish shole.
  14. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo Member

Ratings:
    +784
    HD4K?? Although thats only 2012 I think that we looking at screens that will handle a picture that big and even then you yalking 70inchs and above I think
  15. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,879
    Based on your requirements the TH42PX80 was made for you ;)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. kjt2004

kjt2004 Member

Ratings:
    +181
    Hi

Please dont get hung up on the Full HD hype , INMHO its overhyped

As previous posters have mentioned the higher res doesnt neccesarily mean a better PQ

And at 37" a waste of money

At 42" just about acceptable if you sit 5 feet from the screen

regards
  17. ash08

ash08 Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Completely agree with this comment...:thumbsup:
  18. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI Member

Ratings:
    +71
    again thanks for the replies, depending on which sofa I sit on it will either be within 2.5 metres or 4 metres, it will be mainly for watching SD at the moment.
  19. psbresner

psbresner Member

Ratings:
    +1
    After reading this I'm beginning to wonder if I need 1080p, I do mainly watch sky but thats in SD. I do have a PS3 however, but only have 1 bluray film and occasionally play games too.

Paul.:D
  20. mugabimad

mugabimad Member

Ratings:
    +4
    IMHO, you don't :suicide:

Got PS3, all games but GT5P are 720p, got a 720p camcorder, got a 720p upscaled DVD Recorder... and just 3 1080p blu-ray discs... That means 99% of my time I will watch 720p sources...