1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do House Spiders bite?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lex, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Lex

Lex Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I used to be really terrified of spiders (the large brown house spiders) as a kid but I have learnt to overcome my fear of them to the point where I don't mind being close to them, touching them, putting them in a cup and chucking them out the window (I used to run and scream as soon as I saw one! :blush: :rolleyes: ). The next step for me is to pick one up, but somebody once told me that they bite and so I am slightly wary... is there any truth to that at all?

August/September seems to be spider season as there are millions of them everywhere! :eek:
  2. HMHB

HMHB Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,084
    I always pick spiders up and throw them out of the door or window and have never to my knowledge been bitten by one.
  3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK New Member

Ratings:
    +315
    I have ! They do bite. It's somewhere between a mosquito and wasp sting - a lot depends on the size of the spider. Best to place a glass tumbler over them to catch them, then scoop them up by sliding paper under the glass. We live in a farmhouse miles from anywhere, and there's loads of spiders.
  4. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow Active Member

Ratings:
    +234
    Lex

Spiders (in the UK) cannot open their jaws wide enough to bite even your finger so don't worry.

I'm no zoooligist but spiders jaws can either open(and close) horizontally or vertically, not both.

Just imagine how big they must be to open wide enough to sink in and you'll get the picture :thumbsup:

A house that has lots of spiders must have a lot of prey ie: insects :eek: If you are real;ly scared then remove the prey
  5. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton Editor Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,247
    Is this just UK spiders? Cos the red back (Australia) and the Black Widow (US) are very small spiders, yet can be lethal.
  6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK New Member

Ratings:
    +315
    It's not really a bite, and they don't use their mouths ! The "bite" comes from small fangs either side of the mouth which the spider uses to inject its prey to paralyse it. All spiders have these, so all spiders "bite", irrespective of the size. The image below shows the "fangs" of a poisonous Australian spider, but they all have them.

[​IMG]
  7. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I put one in a glass last night, slid a postcard under and tipped it out of the window. Then was called back in to deal with another only to find No 1 was still hanging onto the glass!
  8. Kenny Glasgow

Ratings:
    +234
    Great photo!

My argument still stands. If it can open it's fangs wide enough it can bite. Just look at the size of the spider's head/body (ignore the legs) to see how big they can be
  9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK New Member

Ratings:
    +315
    Well, there aren't any spiders in the UK with mouths wide enough to get their jaws around my finger, but I have been bitten on the finger more than once. I don't handle spiders at all now - I use the glass & paper technique.
  10. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,389
    I do not know about house spiders but I was taking some paneling out and got a bite of one which left 2 red marks.
    Also I belive there is a UK spider that is venomous.

Saying if find spiders do not tend to bite (humans) only when they think they are trapped. I have even picked bees on footpaths and put them on flowers with no problem, although I would advise you not to do that (if they did sting it could have the wrong reaction and kill you).
  11. PJTX100

PJTX100 Active Member

Ratings:
    +573
    I've picked up thousands of spiders, only one has ever been p1ssed off enough to nip me!...PJ :)
  12. Nick_UK

Nick_UK New Member

Ratings:
    +315
    Depends what you mean by "venomous" - if I was to be pedantic, I would have to say that most spiders are venomous. However, even larger venomous spiders like the Tarantula are really only dangerous to very young children and people with heart conditions. You have to go to the US or Australia to see the really nasty ones like the Funnel Web or Black Widow.
  13. Kenny Glasgow

Ratings:
    +234
    Nick

You must have loose skin on your finger.... :rotfl:
  14. stealther

stealther Member

Ratings:
    +101
    Bloody hell. Could we maybe have a warning mods? look at this thread if you want the **** scared out of you by a giant pair of fangs!! I almost died when I scrolled down to that :D

I heard that some spiders in the uk are extremely venomous but they have no way of delivering it. is that true? or am I using my irational fear of spiders to just dream these things up.

(still shuddering from that photo)
  15. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient New Member

Ratings:
    +447
    There are NO venomous ( to humans ) spiders indegenous to the UK. We get the occastional single spider ( or sometimes a handful ) comming over with crates from abroad ( I used to find the odd tarantula part in boxes of bananas ). They don't last long in our environement.
  16. Ethics Gradient

Ratings:
    +447
    There is only one known spider in the UK that can bite a human ( capable of penetrating the skin - of the 34,000 species in the world, only 0.5% can )

..and that is only found in parts of Devon, Cornwall, Dorset and Essex.

Steatoda Nobilis ( False Widow ) ... just to scare you its a relative of the black widow ;)

but it relatively harmless and similar to a mild bee sting
  17. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey Member

Ratings:
    +251
    Back in the middle ages, a method of poisoning people was to feed them ground up spiders so in enough quantity they are sufficiently toxic to damage humans. However, delivery is the problem and in most cases involving UK spiders they are not big/strong enough to deliver their venom in any quantity.
  18. Ethics Gradient

Ratings:
    +447
    The same technic is used with water, in suffecient quanties it can kill ;)
  19. eviljohn2

eviljohn2 Member

Ratings:
    +225
    I found this beastie in my house last week.
    I can assure you all that it was bigger than it looks. :D

Attached Files:

20. Ethics Gradient

Ratings:
    +447
    ... thats not one of the human biters ( though they don't half frighten the crap out of you when they come flying across the carpet ;) )

btw, thats a Tenegaria duellica .. ' house spider '
  21. richjthorpe

richjthorpe Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Apparently the Daddy Longlegs has poisoness venom but hasn't got a way to 'bite' anything.
  22. Mr Cat

Mr Cat New Member

Ratings:
    +65
    I have to admit, I'm not a great fan of spiders, but I'd run a mile of I'd seen that one!! :eek: :rotfl:
  23. dennis

dennis Member

Ratings:
    +58
    yes!same thing happened to me,bloody thing ran up my arm :eek:
  24. keiths

keiths Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Urban myth. Also the daddy longlegs reffered to is not the Crane Fly (which is commonly known as 'Daddy Longlegs' in the UK, but the 'Daddy Longlegs Spider' from the USA.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/longlegs.htm
  25. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,389
    Been watching Animals with Ricky G?
  26. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon New Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Im scared of house spiders but a large spider doesnt bother me. dont know why
  27. KoThreads

KoThreads Active Member

Ratings:
    +125
    Oh dear I knew I shouldn't have read this as over the past few days there has been a spider spinning webs outside that span a 6ft patio door. It starts from a tree, goes to another tree on the other side of the door and anchors it to the ground. It's about two feet from the door and the webs about 5 ft off the ground. The fly catching bit is nearly 18 ins in diameter and the spider can build it in under an hour. I know because so many peole have walked into it and I've watched the poor little bugger re-build it. Three times in an afternoon once.

Everybody who pops round now knows about it and looks first.

I know nothing about spiders and don't mind them but if i found out this thing bites it would change my mind as it moves like lightning.

It's about 1 to 2 inches long, is bright white with little brown dots on it's body and rings around it's legs.

If anyone knows i'd be grateful.
  28. shodan

shodan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,341
    Its a killer! Move house. Thats what I considered after the last one I saw in my flat! It was absolutely huge and as big as my fist (and I ain;t got no girly hands either!). When I saw it I just walked out! I knew it was crazy because if it hid somewhere then I would have to move home!
    It was on the side wall of my sink. The one that is nearest to you so you can't see it unless you get real close to it and lean over it!
    I walked out, went down the pub for a couple of pints then came back, boiled the kettle and poured a litre and a half of boiling water over it and actually saw the legs come off so I was happy that it was dead and if it wasn't, it wouldn't be able to get to me!

Absolutely hate them and am terrified of them! :rolleyes:
  29. Lewigy

Lewigy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    :rolleyes: I've registered to this forum JUST to provide the following info... I just had to ::-

There are 14 spiders in the UK with serious bites !!!! none have ever killed a human but symptoms have been numbness and swelling of various areas..... one guy was bitten and ended up with a swollen tongue. all 14 spiders are registered and fully identified after been caught by there human victims. This is the most scariest...... A bloke walking his dog spotted a spider on his dogs back, the dog went to scratch obviously itchy from a spider dancing around on him.... the spider BIT the dog yelp'd and started wobbling on his legs, the man with the dog freaked and started stamping wildly into the grass to try to kill the spider, he managed to squash it. BUT the dog took a few steps and fell over, got back up, but was wobbly and falling over. The man grabbed his dog and ran with him to his car then to the vets. Official statement from vets is (vet asked the man to rush off and fetch the dead spider) :- "2year old male Labrador, Weight 5 stone 3 pounds, bitten by Rustic wolf spider (Trochosa ruricola) canine unconscious on arrival, unable to resuscitate. Upon autopsy canine found to be in very good health, cause of death liver poisoning from venom of Rustic wolf spider (Trochosa ruricola) ". :(
  30. Bill Hicks

Bill Hicks Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,303
    That's just a baby one!

As for house spiders biting people causing their arms to swell and their limbs to drop off etc, it can't happen!
    The size if a common house spider's fangs are too small to penetrate human skin anyway.