Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do digital tv’s have built in antenna’s?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by brioni, Jul 2, 2010.

1. brioni

brioni Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi

These days do flat screen tv’s have built in antenna’s? For instance i’m thinking of a small screen in the kitchen but its a new house being built at the moment and i’m wondering if i’m best paying to have additional tv aerial points fitted.

I get the feeling they are not built in as these digital receivers might be more sensitive, requiring better reception
  2. Boostrail

Boostrail Active Member

Ratings:
    +391
    I do not think any modern TV has a built in antenna. Whether you will get away with an indoor aerial depends very much on where you live.

If you live in an area that is still not gone through the Digital Switch Over (DSO) then the digital channels are broadcast on very low power and unless you are near to the transmitter and in a raised position and with no obstructions in the path to the transmitter then it might work.

However if you are in a post DSO area then the transmitter power for the digital channels will have been increased quite drastically and there is an improved chance that an indoor areial will work.

However to be sure a rootop aerial and a good distribution system cannot be beaten.
  3. brioni

brioni Member

Ratings:
    +4
    ok cheers. yeah in an area still to be switched over so its gonna be a struggle!