Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLNA enabled Freeview HD boxes - any good ?

Discussion in 'Freeview Forum' started by Subliminal Aura, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Subliminal Aura

Subliminal Aura Member

Ratings:
    +91
    Hi,

First post in here and I'm seriously considering switching to Freeview - I've looked up the prerequisites like types of aerial, signal strength and boosting but then I came across some Freeview HD boxes that are DLNA capable which got me interested ;)

Has anyone got any experience with them, are they capable of handling relatively high bitrates ?

Many thanks !
  2. etaf

etaf Member

Ratings:
    +64
    I have the Humax HDR-FOX-T2 and quite disappointed with the DLNA media service - I have not had time to really investigate further - but although it sees the two music media services I have setup - and can see the folders - the music is not always shown

I have used these services with a roku soundbridge (now sold) with no problem and also using them on a panasonic TV TXL-32G28 and works fine - I use EAC and LAM and setup for variable bit rate , seems to work fine from the TV - so no reason to suspect different from the Humax, once i get it to work

The TV and Humax are connected to my NAS via a wireless Accesspoint
  3. brookheather

brookheather Active Member

Ratings:
    +889
    I think it depends on the sort of media you have - I've had very mixed results with the Fetch and Humax T2 PVRs - they play some video files but not others - with the Humax it doesn't seem to support the latest Handbrake profile that I've been using - I have kept my WDTV Live for video playing purposes and I have a Squeezebox for audio. If future software updates for the Humax allow it to play all my video files then I would consider selling the WDTV.

- Simon.
  4. nwhitfield

nwhitfield Active Member

Ratings:
    +261
    The Humax supports only mp3 audio, and does not even support mp2 transcoded via the media server.
  5. etaf

etaf Member

Ratings:
    +64
    I made a new copy of the library last week using an mp4 to mp3 convertor - because it would only see mp3s - and then updated all the tags to mp3v2 and now its not seeing the music - so i will have to have a play
  6. lbear

lbear Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    Have you made the new library available for sharing over your network?
  7. etaf

etaf Member

Ratings:
    +64
    Yep, all seen by the PCs and also the Panasonic TV, which plays fine, the humax sees the library and the folders - just NO music files
  8. lbear

lbear Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    Dim question but I suppose you have selected music from the media list on the Humax?
  9. etaf

etaf Member

Ratings:
    +64
    i just copied a mp3 file into the top level director of the music folder - its seen and plays by the panasonic
    but not by the Humax - just going to look at the tags
  10. etaf

etaf Member

Ratings:
    +64
    not a dim question - because I forgot about that (I knew I had to do something else in the back of mind the last time i used) , now I can see the music and its playing, but cant hear it through the TV - but the sound does come through the amplifier which is attached to the TV only strange ..

Thanks - Lets hope I dont forget that again, :) :)
  11. etaf

etaf Member

Ratings:
    +64
    scratch that - I have the humax hooked up to the amp as well,
    Just switched every off and back on again and now - the humax plays via HDMI on TV and the onto the AMP via TV Audio input and Humax input

so all working again- thanks for all that - I'll go and look at the library now and see if my tags are OK on the Humax and how they index (lets hope it uses tracks Numbers and NOT alpha like the TV)
    Edit
    Yep, still ordered by alphabet :(
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010