1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY screen - what border?

Discussion in 'Projector Screens' started by dunamis, Jun 25, 2007.

1. dunamis

dunamis Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Here to pick some brains again...

I'm on the verge of making my own 92" screen (thanks again to Mavis for all the advice and helping out with the paint!)...just wanted to get some comments on what would be an appropriate border.

I've seen 'screen border tape' on eBay (although only from international sellers) for about $20 US. It's 2" wide which doesn't sound like much. Another option I suppose would be painting a matt black border but I'd prefer something more light-absorbing.

So...you guys that are there already...any recommendations on what to use for a border and how wide to make it for a ~92" screen??

Also - slight tangent...if I go with MDF for my screen - any recommendations on thickness?

Cheers
    Ronnie
  2. rich2000

rich2000 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    i would have thought 5cm should be enough
  3. netsukekoi

netsukekoi Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Resurrecting this thread as am about to build my own screen. It will be 110" 16:9 and looking at various US sites the general recommendation seems to be to use hardwood for strength and rigidity and for this size, to go for a 4" wide border. Am wondering if there are other materials I could consider but am happy with hardwood except I will not see it so maybe wasted.

As regards covering - black acrylic/nylon felt or velcro seem popular - doesn't that attract fluff and fuzzies like the plague?

Also, as long as it is dark and non-reflective I guess it will be fine during use. However, I'd like it to look good and blend into the room when not in use - so am thinking of a maroon or mauve velvet/velveteen material or mnaybe suede.

Am I mad or would this be OK?

As regards fixing, standard upholstery 'stretch over padding and staple' would be my approach - anyone disagree?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, Martin
  4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot Active Member

Ratings:
    +788
    A lot of people have build screens using MDF either painted or with material stretched over them, or have build frames using smaller wood (3" x 1" for example) and then stretched and staled either blackout cloth or genuine screen material over it. Screen border is usually a black velvet type material, and you could make the surround from door trim that's around 3 or 4" wide, mitre it, cover it in velvet and then place it on the front of the screen and fix from behind (using screws of the correct length so they don't come through).

You could try the stretch facility both here and over on avsforum so you can see pictures of what and how people have done this.

Gary
  5. netsukekoi

netsukekoi Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Gary, Thanks for that. I actually have some Seymour cloth on order (Fedex tells me it just arrived at Stansted so hope to have it in a couple of days). I went for acoustically transparent material so I can position my speakers behind it - which means I will need to hang the screen 4-5 inches away from the wall. Based on this, todays material of choice is uPVC fascia board for the screen surround, as it comes with a nice chamfer already. And I was thinking of using soffit board to bridge the gap between wall and screen, all covered with the same material we are having the curtains made from.....

But anyway, will post some pictures here plus updates on any design changes I decide upon once I start to focus on this element of the room.

Fuller details on my build here fyi: http://www.avforums.com/forums/home...576493-pompey-project-bedroom-conversion.html
  6. mcspongy

mcspongy Member

Ratings:
    +101
    Dunamis

Kbfern used / recommended black Velcro loop ( self adhesive) for good budget solution.

I have ordered some from Indigo plc - they had some discontinued widths so relatively cheap. Maybe worth a look. I originally ordered 30mm and was going to put two side-by-side for adequate border but I got a phone call day after I ordered to say that size was no longer in stock, so they offers me 38mm instead (marching price).

http://www.INDIGOPLC.com/
  7. r4ajy

r4ajy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ronny.......
    there just is NO SUBsTITUTE for bLack velvet.....

Go to a material seller...... mine cost £6 for 6sqm!!
    i've still got loads left!
    staple it over the wood frame before screwing it all together!
    my looks totally professional......and its screwed onto my plasterboard wall!

;-)

Attached Files:

8. r4ajy

r4ajy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    wrong pictures before!!

Attached Files:

9. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c Active Member

Ratings:
    +482
    nice work r4ajy, do you not get light bouncing back onto the screen from the mirror ?