Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Multi Touch Table

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by gfunk2k, May 20, 2009.

1. gfunk2k

gfunk2k Member

Ratings:
    +93
    hello AV peoples. just thought id post a project that I'm doing, I'm making a multi touch table for our living room.
    at the moment its about 40% complete but the main touch part is working and next i need to add a screen below the glass.
    the idea is the you have a peace of acrylic glass with IR LED's around it. below the glass is an LCD screen that has been taken apart so its just the LCD matrix thats is below the glass as this part is see through but will still display an image that you can see with a DIY back light.
    below the glass is a PS3 eye that has had the IR filter removed.
    the acrylic is a special acrylic called endlighten acrylic this absorbs light so with the IR LEDs around it make the acrylic glow with IR light that you cant see but the PS3 cam can and this is then able to pick up finger movement and you can see the results in the video.

YouTube - Test MTT project
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,754
    Wonderful thread, out of interest how much time / money have you put into this?

Look forward to seeing more pics and reading more about it!
    :thumbsup:
  3. Sniper Ash6

Sniper Ash6 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,612
    that does look brilliant

am interested in the questions above
  4. gfunk2k

gfunk2k Member

Ratings:
    +93
    time wise ive been doing this since January but this is because im in no rush, i would say you could make and finish a table in 48hours.
    as for money:
    LEDs £6 winning bid from ebay
    19" Screen £80 again ebay
    PC £40 for a friend
    Endlighten acrylic 550mm x 550mm £70
    PS3 cam £12
    the rest will be the cost of making a table but at the mo its cost less than £210 so not bad for a touch screen table!:thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Sniper Ash6

Sniper Ash6 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,612
    not at all bad for the money
  6. k4p84

k4p84 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    How does the information input into the pc / laptop?

do you need special software so that windows recognises this as an input?

Can you actually use it on all programs or does it only have limited use?

ED
  7. gfunk2k

gfunk2k Member

Ratings:
    +93
    ive use a diver on the laptop so im able to use a PS3 cam and this is what picks up the movment and this infomation is sent to a program called tbeta. tbeta is the main program for running all programs like the photo app in the video, there is also a mouse driver so you can use the touch to control window. so say you want to use the internet it will be somthing like 1 finger to left click, 2 fingers to right click and 3 to scroll up and down.
    also this should be able to work with fiducial marker tracking but i havnt tested this yet.:thumbsup:
  8. skull_bone

skull_bone Member

Ratings:
    +32
    This looks awesome! I've subscribed, as i'd love to do this myself. Ever since seeing Minority Report, i've wanted a sleek touch screen based PC. I could buy a touchscreen kit, for £70 odd. But then it's not a 'multi touch' kit, so this is why i'm so interested in this project. I wish you all the best, and look forward to trying this myself.
  9. robm612

robm612 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    See the wee blue handled thinghy, I just spent the last 3 minutes staring at that as i thought i was seeing double bcos of the two wee bits poking out the end... lol

Anyway, that is really impressive, do you work in IT per chance?
  10. gfunk2k

gfunk2k Member

Ratings:
    +93
    OK so again another update vid. this time is got the LCD screen under the glass and I'm still able to get blobs from my fingers and good movement.
    next will be to power the screen and then i will enclose the whole thing and Finlay finish it!!!

YouTube - test 2

oh and "See the wee blue handled thinghy" please tell me what you mean as ive spent ages looking for this blue handled thing.

cheers
  11. velveteer

velveteer Member

Ratings:
    +32
    think it's the third photo in your first post.

great project you have going there- looking forward to the finished product.
  12. skull_bone

skull_bone Member

Ratings:
    +32
    The 'Blue Handled Thingy' is a closeup pic of one of the LED's he's using around the table. Lol. :D
  13. robm612

robm612 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    lol, i mean the 3rd picture down in ur first post. :D
  14. robm612

robm612 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    this... lol
  15. gfunk2k

gfunk2k Member

Ratings:
    +93
    ok, have spent allot of time over the last few days working on the multi touch table and its all wired up and today i tested it to see if it works and I'm happy to say it is!
    there is still lots of work and tweaking to do but shouldn't be long until the project is finished.
    here is a vid of it in action, sorry for the poor quality.

YouTube - SNV30194
  16. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,980
    Nice work mate :thumbsup: win7 supports this now with screens to suit ..
  17. gfunk2k

gfunk2k Member

Ratings:
    +93
    yea window 7 is looking good for multi touch but not sure how much the screens will cost?
    if this works well i might invest some time and money in a 50" screen but will have to see.
  18. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,980
    multi touch Screen Dear mate , new tech you see . keep at what your doing :smashin:
  19. xendorslayer

xendorslayer Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you buy your endlighten acrylic from? Also how did you manage to get the LCD to be light so evenly?
  20. gfunk2k

gfunk2k Member

Ratings:
    +93
    Endlighten acrylic is a nightmare to get hold of. I called each shop from this address Amari Plastics and managed to get passed to another company who these guys supply to. The only problem with this company is that the guy who sold me the endlighten said that this is a one off and in the nice way told me not to call back if I need any more. (harsh but fair). So all I can suggest is to do what I did and call as many companies as poss and try to find out who they distribute to.
    As for the back lighting, I use the original lights but also the LCD diffuser. This is like a frosted peace of paper that goes under the screen and as long as you don’t have the light directly pointing to the screen it will come out even.

YouTube - tsp20091979
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  21. xendorslayer

xendorslayer Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks
  22. huxley

huxley Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Fantastic stuff Mr Funk :clap:
  23. Synchro

Synchro Active Member

Ratings:
    +164
    A very interesting project.
  24. Maximinimus

Maximinimus Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Really cool project you have going there :)
  25. Stelph

Stelph Member

Ratings:
    +80
    Damnit, you're re-inspiring me to try making one of these again! I take it youve been checking out the NUI group website? Lots of great knowledge and information there for building your own table plus lots of fun plugins and flash games to try out

Forum Home - NUI Group Community Forums

So what LCD screen did you use? I was in the process of building a multitouch table but never really got off the ground and have since sold the projector I had, an LCD screen seems a better idea with respect to noise and lifespan! I had a grand idea of having a multitouch table where I could browse my media as you have, and then I would be able to select a film and have to play on my TV(by having dual outputs), wouldve been tre cool! :D
  26. gfunk2k

gfunk2k Member

Ratings:
    +93
    yea the nuigroup is a great site for all multi touch needs.
    im using a 19" Aceer screen, i would like to use a projector but i want this to be as small as possible as this will be used in the front room.
    i have the same idea as using it to be a media center but the tricky bit is having multi touch apps and non multi touch apps working together but im getting there.
    at the moment the project is on hold as ive just spent out to get my home projector fixed but next month i should be back on it and as ever i will keep you all updated.

cheers peeps
  27. Ravi007

Ravi007 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    So Cool!!
  28. Tommyc2k7

Tommyc2k7 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Excellent project, would love to do this myself sometime :thumbsup:
  29. mickey

mickey Active Member

Ratings:
    +253
    Hi, just a quick question?, what is the photo app you are using tthat lets you select /zoom/twist etc. Cheers Mike
  30. gfunk2k

gfunk2k Member

Ratings:
    +93