Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Size and Quality

Discussion in 'Satellite TV Forum' started by kebablover, Sep 25, 2011.

1. kebablover

kebablover Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone offer advice please? I am looking to install some form of sat TV in a villa in Menorca Spain. A few of the properties have a dish as small as 1.1M and seem to receive a half decent signal. This surprised me. Here is my dilemma. I want to transport the dish on a commercial flight. In an ideal world, I would go for a high gain, solid 2M. However, I cant justify the huge leap in cost to something in the region of £400. Plus, the extra charge for baggage would be extortionate. This equipment isnt going to get a lot of use. I have found two options but would welcome any member input.

There is a 1.3 dish advertised for around £100 Please see 1.2m STEEL SATELLITE DISH 1.3m x 1.2m & AZ-EL Mount | eBay

Maplin are offering a 1.85M dish in sections for £99.00 I understand that sectional dishes are not as good as solid but the extra size and the fact that its is more transportable on a plane make it an attractive option. 185cm Satellite Dish Free Delivery : Satellite Dishes : Maplin

Thanks in anticipation.
  2. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,492
    What satellites do you want to receive from, that need such large dishes?
  3. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk Active Member

Ratings:
    +602
    It depends what channels they are - the Sky channels are far easier in most of Europe- the Freesat channels are in part funded by the BBC (us really) & these are restricted on the tight UK Astra 2D beam so need the much bigger dishes- that's 2.4m over on the white coast but further south & north a 1.2m or smaller is OK as the signal varies -so a 1.2m there might do it- you need to ask locally if a [decent] 1.2m will do 2D there into the evenings (it goes harder in the evening).

The cheap Maplin's dishes badged Fortec star & come in 1.8m & 2.4m petalised can do the job [if a bigger dish is needed there] & if setup very [very] carefully... but they are too weak to stand the winds there unless you can really shelter one surrounded by walls so it just sees above them & ideally strengthen them. They are very light and many have been taken over to Spain on the plane. Far better to drop on a decent used dish over there - Channel Master or Prodelin ideally at whatever size local knowledge dictates.
  4. kebablover

kebablover Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. Food for thought. A skybox rather than free sat looks the way forward. I am coming to the conclusion that buying out in Menorca is the way forward. Trying to get a large single piece dish to the airport is a problem in itself!!
  5. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,492
    Why?:confused:
  6. youngsime

youngsime Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Was in menorca a few weeks ago ( cala n porter) and was in a bar and they were showing abu dahbi sports and the dish size didn't look much bigger than 1.2m to me!
    Were in menorca is your villa?